why are you single?

Options
nolachick
nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
ok so since this is the single peeps thread, and since some ppl claim its a battle of the sexes on here, and a lot of other threads are about who said what, who texted whom and what that means, and everyone trying to decipher the actions or words of the opposite sex....its time to look inside and be honest about why you think you're single?

I am going to be the first to admit that I like to be in a relationship, i don't like the dating games, so if I usually don't let dates go past the first or second if I don't see a future with someone. So I guess I'm single by choice. Some people say I'm too picky, I think I'm just being smart and taking my time to choose someone I'm truly compatible with and not just giving in to any guy that looks my way. I am willing to compromise of course, but there are some deal breakers like marriage, kids, family values, etc, etc that I am looking for so don't think I'm being a snob.

this is not meant for anyone to criticize anyone about why they're single, just curious to what other people think when its time to stop pointing fingers and look inside....:smile:

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Because Im not hooking myself up permanently to anyone until Im so solid in my sense of self that I can guarantee that I can have their back no matter what life throws at us.
    Because I wont settle for anything less than dream team status.
    Because I am so dedicated to making my life amazing and thrilling and satisfying, that I am ok with having a single with benefits status.
    Because Papa told me that if I want a man who is healthy and active and amazing and smart and funny and adventurous and brave and hard working and dedicated and strong... then I better be all of those things too - so he doesnt get the short end of the stick in our relationship.
    Because loving myself is new and I want to make sure I am with someone that is equally protective of their own needs.
    Because I can be single and happy and in love all at the same time.

Because Im patient as frak and in no rush to be at some destination on a certain timeline.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I stopped looking. Contrary to popular belief, that does not cause Mr. Right to ride up on his white horse.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea why I am single, aside from refusing to settle for less than what I deserve. I am super fun, I'm nice and considerate, I smell amazing, I have a crazy sense of humor, I like doing nice things for people, and I put out. :laugh:

I think maybe my strong personality might scare some people off. I have a pretty quick wit, and I'm very sarcastic (but not in a mean way), and I think a lot of people (not just guys), might be put off by that. I like a challenge, and if you challenge me I'll give it right back to you. And that's also something that people can't handle.
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I am going to be the first to admit that I like to be in a relationship, i don't like the dating games, so if I usually don't let dates go past the first or second if I don't see a future with someone. So I guess I'm single by choice. Some people say I'm too picky, I think I'm just being smart and taking my time to choose someone I'm truly compatible with and not just giving in to any guy that looks my way. I am willing to compromise of course, but there are some deal breakers like marriage, kids, family values, etc, etc that I am looking for so don't think I'm being a snob.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Both of these. But also because I have two young kids that depend on me and I have to think of them first. I want someone to share my life with, but refuse to "settle" just to have someone. I deserve to be happy and be treated like a treasure. I will not accept anything less.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Most people know the backstory so not going into all that here.

For today it is because I am still living in a run down old farmhouse on 115 acres that I hope next week to have in my name finally so I can try to sell it.
    I hate the NY cold/expense and want to get the heck out to warmer climates.
    No point in trying to enter into something with that being the case.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options

For today it is because I am still living in a run down old farmhouse on 115 acres that I hope next week to have in my name finally so I can try to sell it.

if you're farmhouse wasn't in NY i'd move in with you :-)
    then you wouldn't be single anymore and i would have the farm i want!!!

WIN WIN
  • Ihiso7
    Ihiso7 Posts: 13
    Options
    Cuz I like it!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Most people bug the crap out of me.
    The people I'm really into usually don't like me back, I think I get too nice and turn them off somehow.
    I don't mind being alone, I'm very picky, and I never settle.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Because I stopped dating to help my brother get his life on track... Which meant him going back to school and helping him with his daughter.. So I spent many nights babysitting while he studied that I didn't have a chance to really date for 5 years. And now that I am back on my own i have decided to really look inward and see what I really want on life.

I am not actively looking right now but if an oppertunity arose to date someone I wouldn't turn it down.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

if you're farmhouse wasn't in NY i'd move in with you :-)
    then you wouldn't be single anymore and i would have the farm i want!!!

WIN WIN

Find me a farm where it is warm.:wink:

WIN WIN WIN
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Because Im not hooking myself up permanently to anyone until Im so solid in my sense of self that I can guarantee that I can have their back no matter what life throws at us.
    Because I am so dedicated to making my life amazing and thrilling and satisfying, that I am ok with having a single with benefits status.
    Because Papa told me that if I want a man who is healthy and active and amazing and smart and funny and adventurous and brave and hard working and dedicated and strong... then I better be all of those things too - so he doesnt get the short end of the stick in our relationship.
    Because loving myself is new and I want to make sure I am with someone that is equally protective of their own needs.
    Because I can be single and happy and in love all at the same time.

Because Im patient as frak and in no rush to be at some destination on a certain timeline.

This is cool as f&$k!

People are still single cause I think it comes down to timing, people mention one true love and stuff, which is true to an extent cause when you find that person it will feel exactly that. But there are prob a bunch people that could be "the one" but if the timing is wrong there's prob not a whole lot you can do about it.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    The full list would probably be like 10 pages long...

But the highlights include:
    - Not Direct/Forward
    - Confidence Issues
    - Constantly travelling / Never around
    - And didnt think this one was as big of a deal until I joined this site, but short as all hell.
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    Cuz my ex and baby mama was a crazy @ss psychopath. :laugh:

But now, cuz I wanna be. No rush in linking up to someone. I'll take my own sweet time on that.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Because I only started dating again in 2012 after something long term. I'm still just trying to figure out what I want on my own, how to be single, and now how to date and who's out there.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Because a guy has never liked me in the same way I've liked him.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    'Cause I'm newly single, fresh out of a marriage with a guy who wasn't really into women so much. Go figure.
    So, I'm looking. Not because I need to be hooked up with someone - anyone.
    More because I'm convinced that my Wonder Twin exists out there somewhere, and the more I've got my eyes open, the more likely I am to spot him.

Wonder Twin powers activate! FORM OF...toe-curling, spine-tingling, mind-blowing bad-assery!
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've never felt like making meeting someone a priority.

In my profession, I work with almost exclusively females. As I've gotten older it's been harder for me to meet new people.

I'm really good at being the friend.

I'm tall (which is a good thing) but gaining a crap ton of weight certainly didn't help.

Forgot to add: I'm pretty cool with being on my own!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I stopped looking. Contrary to popular belief, that does not cause Mr. Right to ride up on his white horse.

If there's one platitude I loathe more than any other, it's that one!

Too many 'too's', I think - some of my own making, some from others. Too fat always feels like one of them, though I've never been really big - just larger than most of my classmates/friends/colleagues. Too intelligent. Too independent. Too competent. Too opinionated. Too quick to see the ridiculous in things. Someone (a female friend) referred to me as "formidable" the other day, to my despair. Contrary to the impression, too shy, too likely to hang back until it's too late with someone I find attractive, too oblivious to attention that's more than friendly. Too dreamy/unrealistic. Too ambitious, works too much (3 jobs!). Nowadays, too inexperienced at too old an age.

Too everything, I sometimes feel.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options

We have warmer climates down here!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Well after 2 relationships that took the majority of my adult life(11) I took 1 yr to just be single and have fun and flirt. I'm comfortable being me and not willing to settle this time.I got out with guys I flirt .I recently ended things with 1 FWB and now I'm looking to maybe start dating this one guy.. But I'm blunt loud and loyal....

When I find the guy who holds my attention and I hold theirs then I wont be single anymore lol