Week 5 starting August 6th

Options

Replies

• fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Okay I made it through day 1 no problem! Hopefully the rest of the week will go equally smoothly :-)
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Week 5 Day 2 is DONE!!!

Weren't too bad

2.13 miles at 14:32 minutes per mile (that includes the 5 minute warm up and cool down)
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Way to go, FJRANDOL....

Day 2 done here....the two 8 min jogs went fine...no real issues. 13min miles for the first two - basically a 5 min walk and an 8 min jog came out to exactly a mile for me. I did a longer cool down just because of how far from home I ended up - so total 2.4miles for me. WHOOO HOOOO! Definitely will need to slow it down for the 20 min one later this week.

Keep the updates coming, everyone!
  • Knittingnovice
    Options
    Thought i'd come and join you as I did W5D2 today and plan for W5D3 on Friday, I know I can do it, I used to do 5k's before having children, but 2 children & 4 years down the line argh
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    Thought i'd come and join you as I did W5D2 today and plan for W5D3 on Friday, I know I can do it, I used to do 5k's before having children, but 2 children & 4 years down the line argh
    Welcome!

You are waaaayyy ahead of me - I've never been a runner. (I guess at some point, I'll have to stop saying that....) - The 8 minute segments from day 2 this morning were the longest I've ever jogged in my ENTIRE life. day 3 is a little scary.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my W5D2, did W5D1 on Tuesday. I did my first 5K last Sept but I've never been a runner. Last year I did the majority of my running on a treadmill and knew that this year I needed to get outside. My second 5K will be in Sept. It's my breathing that I need to concentrate on, slow and steady....
  • cobracars
    Options
    I just peeked ahead to Week 6 Day 1.

Warmup
    jog 5
    walk 3
    jog 8
    walk 3
    jog 5

That's only 18 minutes total, and shorter than Day 3 of Week 5. So if we get thru Friday, Monday should be a breeze!
  • mumi
    mumi Posts: 24
    Options
    I was scared and it was super hot but....I completed week 5 run 3!!! Yay me:). I am running my first ever 5k in October and I am really excited that I was able to complete the 20 min!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    W5D2 seemed okay for the first 8, but I'm fairly certain the second round of running was waaaay more than 8 minutes long. Had to drop my speed down again, but at least I kept going the whole time! :smile:
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    I was scared and it was super hot but....I completed week 5 run 3!!! Yay me:). I am running my first ever 5k in October and I am really excited that I was able to complete the 20 min!
    SUPER!! Did you find you had to slow your pace from previous intervals, or did you do this at the same as the prior day?
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    W5D2 seemed okay for the first 8, but I'm fairly certain the second round of running was waaaay more than 8 minutes long. Had to drop my speed down again, but at least I kept going the whole time! :smile:
    I slowed for the last 30-45 seconds of both of them...probably mental becuase I knew it had to be almost done. Way to keep going. Day 3....HERE WE COME :)
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Completed wk 5 day 2 this a.m. - yea! It was a great sunrise (went out at 5:30 am), started very slow so I could concentrate on breathing. Day 2 for Sat a.m. here I come.
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    Completed wk 5 day 2 this a.m. - yea! It was a great sunrise (went out at 5:30 am), started very slow so I could concentrate on breathing. Day 2 for Sat a.m. here I come.
    Great job!
  • mumi
    mumi Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks!! I did slow down a bit but not much...I was nervous that I wouldn't make it, next time I speed up a bit:)
    Sorry meant to quote OP
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I completed W5D2 this earlier today, and I hate saying this but I didn't find it easy. I came to the conclusion that it takes me atleast 10 minutes to feel like I'm not going to die. I don't particularly enjoy running in the beginning. By the end of the workout I feel great and since week 4 have been doing about another 20 minutes of a run/walk interval with about two 5 minute running splits.

I am conflicted, I almost want to repeat Day 2. Maybe I will attempt a longer warm up, instead of 5 minutes do 10 of walking....
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I completed W5D2 this earlier today, and I hate saying this but I didn't find it easy. I came to the conclusion that it takes me atleast 10 minutes to feel like I'm not going to die. I don't particularly enjoy running in the beginning. By the end of the workout I feel great and since week 4 have been doing about another 20 minutes of a run/walk interval with about two 5 minute running splits.

I am conflicted, I almost want to repeat Day 2. Maybe I will attempt a longer warm up, instead of 5 minutes do 10 of walking....

I am further into the program (W9)...The first .25-.5 mi I am getting comfortable with my run, the last .25-.5 mi are hard because typically parts of the legs are tired and don't move as well as the start of the run. The middle distance is the easiest for me.

I debated whether I needed a couple more repeat runs of W5D2 before W5d3...I planned to do several more runs specifically the two 10 min interval run in W6 before attempting W5D3....Then I just tired of thinking about it and decided to try the 20 min run. If it works, Great. And it did! :) Makes one feel good about the time put into this program and that 5k is probably a reality. I didn't feel I was ready for the 20 min run but did it in sequence and in one try. It was largely mental issues discouraging me to be more prepared. Physically if you are comfortable with W5D2, It is not a physical stretch to do the 20 min run.

Once the 20 min run was in the bag. It gave me the confidence that I can do the longer runs in W6/7/8/9.
  • Mundy86
    Mundy86 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    W5D3 done and after my second 12hr shift to boot, whoop whoop!

I did not think that I was ready since day 2 was tough for me. On day 2 I had to take a couple of short breaks on the second 8 min run. Yet on the 20 min run I only had to stop for cars to pass to cross streets so maybe 1-2 min at most for entire run and that was broken up in 3 different times.

My pace was 11:15 not inculding warm up or cool down walking. What pace is everyone running at?
  • cobracars
    Options
    UPDATE

So, Wednesday when I finished Day 2 of Week 5 I felt pretty good...but I kept hearing rumors about Day 3 being 20 minutes STRAIGHT without walking! What?!?! Are they crazy?

So I peeked ahead in my training program and found that yes indeed, Day 3 is 20 minutes! If its THAT bad I wondered what was in store for Week 6 Day 1. Turns out that isn't going to be so bad, 5 minutes, then 8, then 5. Okay I can handle that.

As I get started with today's run I'm feeling pretty good. Got my heart rate monitor on, my workout music playing thru the ear buds, I'm done with the 5 minute warmup and settled in to a nice slow pace so I can get thru the 20 minutes.

When ALL OF A SUDDEN my app says ",,,annnddd WALK"

WHAT? I was expecting 20 minutes and I couldn't have been going more than just a few minutes when this unwelcome interruption disturbed my 'zone'. So I look at my phone and see that being the idiot I am I accidentally started Day 1 of Week 6. That's what I get for looking ahead.

@!&($%&!

So I reset the app, got back on Week 5 Day 3, and as punishment for my stupidity I didn't take into account I was already 10 minutes into my workout. I skipped the warmup but started at the 20 minute mark.

Did total of 25 minutes today. 5 in error and the 20 I was supposed to do. And like previous days, it weren't too bad!

Note to self: check your app for the right day before starting your run!
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    Cobra, Mundy - you guys are awesome!!

Not average - I'm nervous too - but you can CERTAINLY do it. With the extra time you are tacking on, you are way more ready than me!!
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    I DID IT!!! And I felt so good, i picked up the pace the last two min, then added an extra 90 seconds.

I did slow down quite a bit from intervals - 4.6mph, and then 5.3 for the last 3.5min.