Krav Maga & other martial arts

Options
13»

Replies

• KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Wow, that would be so tricky for me :) I dont know any of the names in Hebrew LOL. Sounds like your training is going awesome though Bathsheba .. I may come to Israel in June to visit a guy named Moshe Katz from www.your-krav-maga-expert.com He seems pretty cool and has a relatively cheap program for people from the US to travel and train. There is some touring involved too which is another added bonus
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Ooh, that sounds like a lot of fun. Let me know when you'll be in the Tel Aviv area!
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Another Kravist here. I just started training again after almost 5 months away.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the P, G, E grades are more of a Europe thing? We utilize belt colors here in the US (We dont actually have belts, but its more symbolic)

I am a blue belt and according to the other scale I'd be around a G3 I guess.

I'm nervous about Brown belt as there is still some things to perfect. I honestly never heard of Black belt as my school teaches up to Brown only.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd let you all know that the masterclass on Saturday was awesome and I had an amazing time! I even got "volunteered" by my instructor to talk on camera and say what I love about Krav! Eek! I'm sure I looked like a fool, but I don't care! It was a brilliant day and I met some amazing people! :happy:
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the P, G, E grades are more of a Europe thing? We utilize belt colors here in the US (We dont actually have belts, but its more symbolic)

I'm nervous about Brown belt as there is still some things to perfect. I honestly never heard of Black belt as my school teaches up to Brown only.

Black belt's invite only in most of the major organizations, and generally not offered to student practitioners. We use a level and belt system where I am (KMWW), and my current understanding is that to become a black belt, you'll want to start by becoming an instructor first.
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd let you all know that the masterclass on Saturday was awesome and I had an amazing time! I even got "volunteered" by my instructor to talk on camera and say what I love about Krav! Eek! I'm sure I looked like a fool, but I don't care! It was a brilliant day and I met some amazing people! :happy:

Fantastic! I told you you'd love it :smile:
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options

From what I understand, Imi originally used the belt system, then later on started using patches (P, G, E).

I'm with an IKMF affiliated club and we use P, G, E as do KMG (which came from an internal split with the organisation that is now IKMF)

As for predominantly European, can't honestly say, but I know there are quite a few IKMF clubs in the Far East
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'm IKMA-affiliated (or, as we call it, KAMI), and we do belts.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Black belt's invite only in most of the major organizations, and generally not offered to student practitioners. We use a level and belt system where I am (KMWW), and my current understanding is that to become a black belt, you'll want to start by becoming an instructor first.

That makes sense as to why I have not seen any black belt tests or anything. Brown is our highest, I assume I'd have to go to another facility for the black belt....I'm not that worried about it however, as I dont plan on instructing ever. Once I get my brown belt, I will be very happy. :)