La Vuelta Challenge 2012 - The third Grand Tour

Options

Replies

• TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Had to take yesterday off due to weather; we actually got lots of rain. I don't feel safe riding in the rain, so I didn't ride. Will probably ride today anyway.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    All right, I get the rule nazi bit, but I have a question. I have a 200k (Ohio Gran Fondo) ride next weekend with over 8000 ft of climb and there is no way my phone battery will make it (much like last weekend, but worse). Is there a way for me to get "credit" for it if I post the ride details (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1561289) along with time stamp from my node or should I just not bother for the long rides?

To be honest, I don't really have a problem with just posting it as you said - I believe some people use external battery packs for longer rides on the smartphone app's - I actually tried using one on yesterdays ride out of academic interest and my phone battery went into spasm after about 3 hours. It's not something I'd actually thought about TBH, as the Garmin 705 would track for around 12-15 hours between charges... Perhaps If anyone has any suggestions for external battery packs ??

Pretty sure this ride is going to be epic, thanks for being okay with route & node. Although I'm doing this ride for me, 200k m and 8500 feet of climb will be a nice chunk to add to Team 1. I'm guessing there will also be a posted time for me being that this is a timed "race" but I'm not sure how that works with stops and such. Have a great week and if your a praying man say a few for me on Sunday, some of those climbs look a little intimidating.
  • BamaBoyScout
    BamaBoyScout Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    26 Aug. 2012
    45.7 Km.
    1 hour 42 min. 21sec.
    217 meters climbing
    Avg heart rate: 99
    26.8 kph.:smile:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    26 Aug. 2012
    45.7 Km.
    1 hour 42 min. 21sec.
    217 meters climbing
    Avg heart rate: 99
    26.8 kph.:smile:

Hi - any chance of posting these in the Mileage thread mate :smile: - it's here, BTW...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/708749-vuelta-challenge-mileage-thread-ride-details-only-please
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Had to take yesterday off due to weather; we actually got lots of rain. I don't feel safe riding in the rain, so I didn't ride. Will probably ride today anyway.

Rain is often downright dangerous, so you get a free pass. :o)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Unless I can get a ride in this evening, it's looking bad for me today - partly the weather, partly the same "mental malaise" I had yesterday when riding. It's not like me tbh, but i'm just not feeling "focused" at all... Not ideal, when you're out riding in monsoon conditions for 2 hours at 15mph... don't really want you're attention wandering off!
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    I read "mental malaise" as "mayonnaise." Yes, we are a bit tired here...

And, Isaac is supposedly coming this way to drown us on Thursday-Friday. Hmph.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    "mental malaise","mayonnaise." - poh-tay-toh, poh-tah-toh... or as my grandad would have said, in his robust kind of way - "Same ****, Different Bucket"
  • StuAblett
    StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry team #2 I had three intense 18 hour days at a trade show, then I got really sick, must have been those long days, standing 12 hours a day and talking until my voice was raw, and interacting with thousands of strangers. I've had such a bad summer cold for the last three days I only did a lousy 5Km on the bicycle doing deliveries, I even went on delivery with the van, not the bicycle because I felt so crappy. :sick:

I am hoping to get over this cold in the next day or two, but it is also brutally hot and humid here, sucks! :ohwell:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Wet, windy and horrible again today.

Guess What? I've dug into the "big bag of winter clothing" (otherwise known as "the belgian bag" :lol:) found the Roubaix Longs, and Sealskinz Socks, and I'm bloody well going out there on the MTB for a ride.

Top and bottom of it is, I hate feeling hungry - which I do, unless I've got that whole extra bunch of 1000kcals from my daily ride... 3 on 1 off gives me enough "spares" to eat properly and refuel on rest days as well, but frankly - if I only ride 1 on 1 off, I'm just hungry and miserable if I keep to my MFP allotted rations. So - "Today We Ride!!"
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    I'm really sorry team #2 I had three intense 18 hour days at a trade show, then I got really sick, must have been those long days, standing 12 hours a day and talking until my voice was raw, and interacting with thousands of strangers. I've had such a bad summer cold for the last three days I only did a lousy 5Km on the bicycle doing deliveries, I even went on delivery with the van, not the bicycle because I felt so crappy. :sick:

I am hoping to get over this cold in the next day or two, but it is also brutally hot and humid here, sucks! :ohwell:

Dude, don't sweat it. Here we have had the first two weeks of the fall semester (madhouse at my job) and a horrible and as yet unclear diagnosis of cancer for my husband in the past few days. It is a miracle we have managed any cycling.

Life intervenes. Ride when you can, don't sweat it (no pun intended) when you can't. We'll still be here when you can.

We usually do the fun club ride on Thursday nights, but hurricane Isaac might be here by that time tonight. We are not complaining about the potential rain as we need rain desperately but his timing sucks. We have work to do this morning so if we are particularly unlucky. We'll end up on the trainer.

TBY it is hard to picture winter gear since we've had a record hot summer and still have some 100s in the ten day forecast... But I should probably figure out where all that gear is before cold weather appears... No idea at the moment really where it is.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    Wet, windy and horrible again today.

Guess What? I've dug into the "big bag of winter clothing" (otherwise known as "the belgian bag" :lol:) found the Roubaix Longs, and Sealskinz Socks, and I'm bloody well going out there on the MTB for a ride.

Top and bottom of it is, I hate feeling hungry - which I do, unless I've got that whole extra bunch of 1000kcals from my daily ride... 3 on 1 off gives me enough "spares" to eat properly and refuel on rest days as well, but frankly - if I only ride 1 on 1 off, I'm just hungry and miserable if I keep to my MFP allotted rations. So - "Today We Ride!!"

AMEN!!! I hate being hungry, so much easier when there are extra calories around.
  • rides4sanity
    Options
    FYI team#1 I have a 200km on Sunday (assuming weather is not nasty) so I will likely take the next few days off, or nearly off. Ride hard!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Did my back in this morning, so no ride today. I'm hoping for tomorrow, but we'll have to see how the ice does for it tonight.
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    We got nothing biked today between work, class, asking the nurse a zillion questions, and 30+ mph winds. Tomorrow will be a total washout from Isaac, probably. Bleah.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    It's only a bit of fun people - don't go riding injured, and keep safe out there. We're well up on schedule, both teams have at least 2 stages of riding in the bank AHEAD of the peloton, so we're definitely on track for a podium finish :wink:.

exercise.png

exercise.png
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    /me wonders how long the tickers have been in Yin's posts?

Less than a 1000km to go, yay for team #2. Too bad I don't have the time for another 160km this Labor Day weekend :-D However, I hope to add another 400km at least before the tour is over. I do wish we had Universal Sports on the TV so my wife and I could be watching the Tour. Anyone know how Sagan is doing in La Vuelta?

I am however on track to hit my first 1,100 mile (1,775km) month for August (not that I meant to) so I'll be slowing down for September. Too bad I didn't shoot for an even 2000km, hunh? Would that be 2 Megameters?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    /me wonders how long the tickers have been in Yin's posts?

Anyone know how Sagan is doing in La Vuelta?

Ticker's have been dropped in (when I remember!) for the last couple of days to be honest... Nothing automagic about them though, just me remembering to do it!

Sagan never started the Vuelta... Degonkolb's currently fighting with Rodrigues for the Green jersey (by virtue of lots of steep hills in the last 3km of stages so far...) - Green points jersey in the Vuelta isn't always a sprinters jersey, and Degonkolb's not going to see hide nor hair of it for the next couple of stages...
  • nerdieprofessor
    Options
    We'll have nothing on Monday (that's not a rest day is it????) due to the hubby's (BamaBoyScouts's) PET/CT on Tuesday. He isn't allowed to exercise on Monday or eat carbs. Weird. But we don't want to mess up the scans.

The rains finally ended yesterday, so we expect to ride today and tomorrow. We are camped on the second highest mountain in the state so we are going out in the car to scout the roads first.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    no worries - we're only something like 20km from completing anyway... or probably less after someone else other than me and FDS book in todays ride.

Fingers crossed for Tuesday and hoping the tests go well - I've actually got a Dr's visit with my dad on Tuesday as well - hopefully just routine monitoring on his blood counts etc. as he's on Statins etc. after his stroke 15+ years ago... I've actually a sneaking suspicion that they're going to be reducing the strength of his meds a little, as he's lost a little weight and eating a bit more healthily as a "bye-product" of me doing the same for the last year or so... I know he went to Dr's a couple of weeks ago, and they were happy about his BP, weight and so forth, but they do a routine blood-work and they phoned last week and asked if he could come in and see the Dr. - even said it was nothing to worry about, just a followup on the blood tests...

It's still probably why I've been unable to focus and ride/train properly for the last week of course - can't help it, I worry about him - he's the only family I've got left...