So, who't this Ryan chap then?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Ummmm..... are you saying Apple launched Windows Vista?

Haha... I was thinking the same thing. I just assumed they meant Apple went up because Vista was so bad !
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Only have a minute so short answer here but do you understand finance? Do you know how IPOs work? They are almost always substantially higher on their IPO/within a few days than they are after even a few weeks.

Obamacare will cost money. However, it costs money to have people treat emergency rooms like clinics. All medical care costs money. I just think it's worth a few dollars to keep people alive. I'm pro choice but pro life after they are born. Too bad RR can't say the same or even be pro life after birth. Instead it's "A zygote is a person who deserves all the rights thereof!" then once it's born it's a welfare leech sho should just hurry up and die already.

And fnally, I'm not a liberal but I do love how the righties like to generalize and exaggerate. It's amusing in a sad, pathetic sort of way. I'm actually an independant. I voted McCain in 08. I woted McCain in the primary in 2000. I lived in AZ for 5 years and voted for him every time. I also voted for Sheriff Joe and I think Brewer has done a pretty decent job. In fact, over the past decade I've voted R much more often than not. But the GOP aren't Republicans anymore. I loved Reagan and voted for him too (my first POTUS election actually) But Republicans have turned away from fiscal responsibility and smaller government. Now they are Gays, Guns, and God. They demand fiscal responsibility from the poor and middle class but love the idea of corporate welfare and tax cuts for millionaires. They Bible thump and claim that this is a Christian nation with laws based on the Bible. Reagan would be a liberal hippie by their standards today. He probably wouldn't even pass their "requirements" to make it through the primaries. Give me a Reagan or Goldwater and I'll vote R again. Keep throwing out Romneys and Cantors and Bachmanns and I may well just pull the D lever and call it a day.

GM's IPO occurred back in 2010 not a few weeks ago. Yes I do understand finance. Do you? For example. Google had an IPO price of 85 dollars and 2 years later it was trading around $370. GM's IPO in 2010 was $33. It is now around $20.

IPOs (and stocks in general, for that matter) have little bearing in a company's actual value, but rather, a perceived value. It's this perceived value that is a big catalyst for these economic issues. (Remember, it was the crashing of the stock market on Black Tuesday, that started the Great Depression to begin with. The week prior was rocky, which started prompting people to sell, the more people sold, the more others sold, and it spiraled from there.)

Case in point - Facebook. They IPO'd at $38. Today's stock price (as of this writing)? $19.80. The IPO was based on a perceived value, but has declined as shareholders realize that Facebook already has a very high market saturation, which means it doesn't have much growth potential with its current strategy, even though, as a private company, Facebook is hugely successful. I suspect it will continue to decline until they can come up with a revenue model that will make the shareholders happy.

Another good example - Apple. Prior to the Windows Vista launch, they were somewhere around $50. After Vista launch, they were in the $200 ballpark. I suspect we'll see a similar jump when WIndows 8 launches. It also fluctuated when Jobs passed away. The change had nothing to do with any changes in the company's quality of product, or actual performance, but a speculation of how well it will do in the coming months.

Have you ever heard of a P/E ratio?

Ummmm..... are you saying Apple launched Windows Vista?

No, I'm saying that Apple's perceived value compared to Microsoft's is what affected Apple's stock prices. Microsoft put out a product that failed miserably, making Apple look better/more favorable. Ergo, Apple's stock changes didn't reflect anything they actually did.

And yes, I have heard of a P/E ratio. However, that wasn't what was brought up. What was brought up was IPO and raw stock prices, which is what I addressed. We could go into P/E ratios and even a total breakdown comparison of the named companies for the past year or so (or at least since Facebook's IPO) for their entire financials if you really want, though I think that would bore most people.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it would bore me, but it might make my finger hurt as I scrolled past.
  • treetop57
    Options
    I almost forgot to mention the letter I got yesterday from the Romney.
    Dear [TreeTop57],

I am running for President of the United States and because you are one of America's most notable Republicans, I want to personally let you know why. It's simple, really. I believe in America. . . .

I have no idea what mailing list they bought, but they were wasting their money . . . which is fine by me. Unfortunately, it didn't have a postpaid return envelope, or they would have wasted their money twice.
  • alpha2omega
    alpha2omega Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    No, I'm saying that Apple's perceived value compared to Microsoft's is what affected Apple's stock prices. Microsoft put out a product that failed miserably, making Apple look better/more favorable. Ergo, Apple's stock changes didn't reflect anything they actually did.

And yes, I have heard of a P/E ratio. However, that wasn't what was brought up. What was brought up was IPO and raw stock prices, which is what I addressed. We could go into P/E ratios and even a total breakdown comparison of the named companies for the past year or so (or at least since Facebook's IPO) for their entire financials if you really want, though I think that would bore most people.

My misunderstanding. I would agree that emotion and perceived value can definitely cause a stock to fluctuate over time but companies have an intrinsic value that can be quantified. In Benjamin Graham's book "The Intelligent Investor" he explains how a companies value can be objectively measured over a period of time. Historical data is needed for this which is why it is difficult to value IPO's.

You are incorrect, however, on why Apple's stock started to climb in 2007. Vista was released in January/2007 when Apple stock was $85. Apple stock peaked at $199 on Dec 28th of that year not because of Vista's failure but because Iphone 1 was launch in June of that year. The sales led to much higher profits in the 3rd and 4rth qtr which resulted in higher than expected earnings, beating analysts estimates. So the increase in stock value was not due to Vista but to the success of Iphone1. Sorry if I've bored anyone.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot to mention the letter I got yesterday from the Romney.
    Dear [TreeTop57],

I am running for President of the United States and because you are one of America's most notable Republicans, I want to personally let you know why. It's simple, really. I believe in America. . . .

I have no idea what mailing list they bought, but they were wasting their money . . . which is fine by me. Unfortunately, it didn't have a postpaid return envelope, or they would have wasted their money twice.

Hahahaha... that's how I feel about Obama commercials... I live in Texas... Political ads are not going to do anything as Texas hasn't gone blue since LBJ.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I know this topic has died out, but I saw this description of Ryan today and felt like sharing:
    Paul Ryan is the embodiment of everything a modern Republican hopes to be. He talks like he cares about the nation, pockets the money at every turn, and never seems to be held accountable when his actions are 180-degrees from his words. He's the evolutionary result of processes going on in the GOP since at least 1980.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I know this topic has died out, but I saw this description of Ryan today and felt like sharing:
    {Insert Politician Here} is the embodiment of everything a modern {Insert Politician's Party Here} hopes to be. He(she) talks like he(she) cares about the nation, pockets the money at every turn, and never seems to be held accountable when his(her) actions are 180-degrees from his(her) words. He's(she's) the evolutionary result of processes going on in the {government} since at least 1980.

I fixed your quote. Hope you don't mind. I actually might write an app to auto generate this. Thanks!
  • treetop57
    Options
    Stet
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    {Insert Politician Here} is the embodiment of everything a modern {Insert Politician's Party Here} hopes to be. He(she) talks like he(she) cares about the nation, pockets the money at every turn, and never seems to be held accountable when his(her) actions are 180-degrees from his(her) words. He's(she's) the evolutionary result of processes going on in the {government} since at least 1980.

I fixed your quote. Hope you don't mind. I actually might write an app to auto generate this. Thanks!

Another example of why comedy and satire, like plumbing and electrical work, should always be left to professionals.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    My son and Ryan at the rally in Milwaukee!

561885_4286805617185_1186016847_n.jpg
  • treetop57
    Options
    "Sorry. This person moved or deleted this image."
  • macpatti
    Options
    Why did my other pic get "deleted or moved"??? I'll try again. My son and Ryan:

RyanAJ.jpg
  • macpatti
    Options
    And my son standing directly behind Ryan during his speech:

RyanAJ2.jpg
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    What great pictures, MacPatti! Your son is very handsome and natural. :bigsmile:
  • treetop57
    Options
    Great picture with Ryan. How exciting for your son to be part of history.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Even more exciting if they win!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Great pictures Patti. How exciting!
  • treetop57
    Options
    Even more exciting if they win!

I wouldn't go that far!
  • macpatti
    Options
    I wouldn't go that far!

:wink: