Goodbye Intervals - Starting week 7 mid August?

Options
13»

Replies

• kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Maybe you could try going outside once a week or two - practise makes perfect. Or maybe when you have finished c25k you can try and do it some more. :)

That's kindof what I'm doing - try to get outside to run a day or two a week - go a little farther each time and then do walk/jog intervals for a minimum total distance of 3 miles. Once a week I get on the treadmill just to keep proving to myself that I really can go as long as I'm supposed to if I pace it right. Either way, I try to get at least the distance of a 5k in each time. Thinking I need to start stretching that out a bit now too. Then when I "just" do 3 miles it will seem short.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    3.1 miles
    37' 2"

plus 1 mile total warm-up and cool-down

At this point you really need to have a bottle of water or Gatorade with you!
  • snarkymom72
    snarkymom72 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 7/Day 2 -- can't believe I can run 20 minutes straight. Slow as molasses but I'm doing it. Next work out is 25 minutes straight. Yikes!
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    3.1 miles
    37' 2"

plus 1 mile total warm-up and cool-down

At this point you really need to have a bottle of water or Gatorade with you!

You...are....my....hero....

GREAT JOB, Cobra. So proud of you - you are officially faster than me now!
  • cobracars
    Options

Maybe you could try going outside once a week or two - practise makes perfect. Or maybe when you have finished c25k you can try and do it some more. :)

That's kindof what I'm doing - try to get outside to run a day or two a week - go a little farther each time and then do walk/jog intervals for a minimum total distance of 3 miles. Once a week I get on the treadmill just to keep proving to myself that I really can go as long as I'm supposed to if I pace it right. Either way, I try to get at least the distance of a 5k in each time. Thinking I need to start stretching that out a bit now too. Then when I "just" do 3 miles it will seem short.

Great minds thinking alike! I was trying to put on more distance so that come race day the "short" distance would seem easy. Its working. I was gradually building up by .2 miles every other day, but it was getting tough to do it without walking. So Friday when I "only" went 3.1 it was very manageable and I was finally able to post a faster time.

I'm going to run again tomorrow (Sunday), and then take two days off and run Wednesday. Two more days off and my 5K race is Saturday. I think I've been trying to do too much too soon, plus I've been doing 6-10 mile bike rides in there. I think my body is telling me it needs more rest in between the longer days of running.
  • cobracars
    Options
    Week 9, Day 2

3.1 miles....36' 45"

Day 1 I had to pause a few times due to a couple of crosswalks, re-setting my phone, and just getting over-tired and needing to drink.

Today I ran straight through. I think my pace was marginally slower but without the stops I posted an overall faster time. I think it helped some that I avoided the long bike rides the last two days and just took time to let my leg muscles recover.

Now for two days off, then a good run on Wednesday, then two days off again and my first official 5K race next Saturday.
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Week 9, Day 2

3.1 miles....36' 45"

Day 1 I had to pause a few times due to a couple of crosswalks, re-setting my phone, and just getting over-tired and needing to drink.

Today I ran straight through. I think my pace was marginally slower but without the stops I posted an overall faster time. I think it helped some that I avoided the long bike rides the last two days and just took time to let my leg muscles recover.

Now for two days off, then a good run on Wednesday, then two days off again and my first official 5K race next Saturday.

Good luck! You'll do fab I'm sure. :)
  • Stacylynn327
    Stacylynn327 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Week 7 tomorrow and all I can think is "I'm gonna die." LOL! I've managed to progress relatively quickly through the program, but my pace is SLOOOWWWW!!! I figure pace will come with practice. At this point I just want to get through the program without having to repeat any days. That is my main motivator to keep me going. So far I've only had to repeat one day in Week 5, other than a day I gave up after only 2 minutes because the humidity was so bad.
  • kimpossible471
    Options
    I'm starting Week 7 tomorrow and all I can think is "I'm gonna die." LOL! I've managed to progress relatively quickly through the program, but my pace is SLOOOWWWW!!! I figure pace will come with practice. At this point I just want to get through the program without having to repeat any days. That is my main motivator to keep me going. So far I've only had to repeat one day in Week 5, other than a day I gave up after only 2 minutes because the humidity was so bad.
    Great progress!
  • Stacylynn327
    Stacylynn327 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I attempted Week 7 Day 3 today and totally failed! The humidity was too much for me again and I only lasted 17 minutes before I couldnt breathe enough to keep going. I'm taking tomorrow off sine it rained today and I know it's going to be super-humid in the morning and muddy! I will attempt day 3 again on Monday!