New Recruits Starting Stage 1

Options

Replies

• jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I've also just completed my first workout, yay!. Only hiccup was that I had to wait for the machine to do the seated rows and I'm not sure I got my form quite right due to the machine set up. A couple of mature guys helped me set the bar up on the rack for the squats and checked my form for me, which was nice of them.

I also had some wrist pain after the prone jackknife sets, but then I have tiny wrists, so will need to be mindful of that.
  • ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm starting again tomorrow. I have a weight bench and dumbells, etc. set up at work. I tried the first workout in April, but did not stretch or warm up, and I could not walk for days after doing the squats! I will not make that mistake again! :) Glad to be here. Good luck to all!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I plan to start stage 1 on Wednesday of this week and would love the morale support!!!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I plan to start stage 1 on Wednesday of this week and would love the morale support!!!

Do it! :) Wednesday I'm doing 1B for the first time! Good luck!
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Right I am on week 3 (but only doing ti 2xa week) and today my lower back really hurts. upped my weights each time and thought i was doing ok, but this morning not so good. I think it was the squats. It is the first time using the olympic bar - without any weight at first as a warm up and then with 5kg each end and then for the second set 7.5kg. I know that doesn't sound like much but it has made my back really sore and I didn't feel it at all in my back when I was using the barbell (15kg) last week. any thoughts?

Don't want to pile in just yet, i am really enjoying feeling stronger
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well I'm still waiting for my book to get here I've modified a work out from the BIG BOOK of Womens Excercises I think it's a bit longer (It's an hour and has cardio in it with the weights) I've done it three times now and I am 'really' seeing a difference I've gone up already on some of the weights Wow Can't wait for the real book!!!
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    I am starting Monday. I read the book on my kindle but ordered the paper version and am waiting for that to arrive so I can photo copy some things and take it to the gym. I am really excited and nervous to step off the treadmill and into men's territory! Maybe I can teach them a few things!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Just got home from workout b, first time doing it in the gym. I feel great! The first one I did at home....I probably won't be doing that again, I only have 3lb weights. I was using 10lbs for hand weights at the gym...I feel a lot more challenged! So happy I found this program!
  • agbaeb
    agbaeb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on how soon to increase weight?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on how soon to increase weight?

I was surprised how quickly I could increase weight. By the second workout A I felt that I wasn't being challenged enough in the squats, however this may just have been that I didn't START with enough weight in the first place. I added a repeat of workout 1A and workout 1B to allow me to use the first time I did the routine as a test session figuring out what I should be doing in terms of form and weights.

I would just go with what feels right for you. If it feels easy through the set, you need to up.
  • dwn2erth
    Options
    I've just finished week 2 of stage one... Missed a couple of workouts because our gym through us a curve ball by not completing their agreement . so my hubby and I are looking for a new gym... will be doing WO B Stage one hopefully today at a new gym...
  • areber07
    areber07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just did satge 1 workout A last night. My upper body is a little sore but I am assuming I didnt lift the proper amount of weight and it only took me about 20 minutes to complete, is that about right? Here is what my workout looked like:

Squats - 15 lb barbell ( too light will go to regular barbell with weight next time maybe 30lbs total?)
    Pushups - on knees 2 sets 15 ( that was too easy but really not sure what to do since i can't do a man push up)
    Rows - first set did at 30lbs second set did at 40 lbs. I could probably go up?
    Stepups - did not have a good way to do these at the gym but used an excercise stup up thing with only two stabilizers on each side and only used body weight due to not thinking about using weights.
    Prone jacknife - 2 sets of 18.

I am looking for some feedback, I didnt want to kill myself but I feel that i didn't work out as hard as I could have???
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    *insert sad/frustrated face here*

Hi guys. Well today was supposed to be my first day *small yay!*

Had my induction at the gym yesterday and spoke to the young female trainer there who was really happy to take me through the exercises and check my form - as she said 'strong is the new skinny' ;)

So woke up this morning to pack my gym kit and thought hmmmm, it's been a while since I exercised, better get those joggers on and see I can still move in them. Nope. I can just about get them on but if I attemtped to squat or lunge in them I'd either do myself a damage or split the *kitten* out of them.

Dagnabbit.

So will buy a super cheap pair this weekend and start Monday instead.
  • dwn2erth
    Options
    I finished NRLFW last month and LOVED it. Never looked so good in my life. I started their new book , and am enjoying that as well. Feel free to ask questions. Re deadlifts, I think the KEY is to make sure you feel it in your hamstrings and NOT your back. It's a matter of pushing your butt back. You KNOW when you're doing it right (you shouldn't feel a strain in your back)
    Thanks MeRoBI

You'll be a good source for us I'm sure!!! I love it when people who've been through this give suggestions !! Did WO A Third week yesterday!!! I was shaking at the end!!
  • dwn2erth
    Options
    *insert sad/frustrated face here*

Hi guys. Well today was supposed to be my first day *small yay!*

Had my induction at the gym yesterday and spoke to the young female trainer there who was really happy to take me through the exercises and check my form - as she said 'strong is the new skinny' ;)

So woke up this morning to pack my gym kit and thought hmmmm, it's been a while since I exercised, better get those joggers on and see I can still move in them. Nope. I can just about get them on but if I attemtped to squat or lunge in them I'd either do myself a damage or split the *kitten* out of them.

Dagnabbit.

So will buy a super cheap pair this weekend and start Monday instead.

Love the quote 'strong is the new skinny"... I've had the same problem with clothes!! Be kind to yourself..
  • dwn2erth
    Options
    I just did satge 1 workout A last night. My upper body is a little sore but I am assuming I didnt lift the proper amount of weight and it only took me about 20 minutes to complete, is that about right? Here is what my workout looked like:

Squats - 15 lb barbell ( too light will go to regular barbell with weight next time maybe 30lbs total?)
    Pushups - on knees 2 sets 15 ( that was too easy but really not sure what to do since i can't do a man push up)
    Rows - first set did at 30lbs second set did at 40 lbs. I could probably go up?
    Stepups - did not have a good way to do these at the gym but used an excercise stup up thing with only two stabilizers on each side and only used body weight due to not thinking about using weights.
    Prone jacknife - 2 sets of 18.

I am looking for some feedback, I didnt want to kill myself but I feel that i didn't work out as hard as I could have???

Arber07 I'm certainly not a trainer I've had a few personal training sessions and I think you are right.. You may be a little light. With the pushups you may want to lean against a bar with your hands.. 'incline pushups' with legs straight. You're muscles should feel at least warm after a set. If you 'can't get' over 8 reps you are 'too' heavy.
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    I did stage 1 workout A on Monday and I feel it today, thats 2 days later. I am doing workout B today. I am really going to up my weights today. I think I may have gone a little to light on Monday, but then again the book says most women underestimate themselves. I look forward to completeing this journey with you ladies!!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    May I please join also!

I joined the group a couple weeks ago and have been lurking in the background until I could get a feel of whether folks were supportive here or would eat you if you said something somone didn't like!
    I haven't seen a meanie here as of yet!
    Started Stage 1 last night and will do my "B" workout tomorrow! I'm working out at home for the moment until funds can be raised for a gym!

Good luck to everyone! We'll be godesses before you know it!

Kathy
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    May I please join also!

I joined the group a couple weeks ago and have been lurking in the background until I could get a feel of whether folks were supportive here or would eat you if you said something somone didn't like!
    I haven't seen a meanie here as of yet!
    Started Stage 1 last night and will do my "B" workout tomorrow! I'm working out at home for the moment until funds can be raised for a gym!

Good luck to everyone! We'll be godesses before you know it!

Kathy

I just started too and will also being doing workout B tomorrow. Yay us!
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    On my third week and was supposed to do B today but couldn't drag my @$$ out of the bed this morning and too tired from sitting all day at the computer to do it this evening. Determined to do it in the morning since I ate that 3 muskateers bar :-(
    Need all the inspiration I can get I did post my stats on one of these but will post at the end of stage 1.