What's your story!

Options
13»

Replies

• SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi Dawn - If you are having joint issues, I wonder whether dietary changes might help? The Omega 3 fatty acids are lubricants for the body - so you might benefit from eating fish regularly. I roast walnuts and keep them around for snacking as well as for adding to foods when I want more protein and Omegas. They make a great substitution for croutons on salads for example. We call them nature's Advil.

I am trying to pay more attention to how much fat I get in my diet. I did take fish oil supplements for awhile and I also keep nuts at my desk for snacking. I haven't had any problems for at least a month, so either I'm just getting stronger or paying attention to my macros has helped. Thanks!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I've posted in this group before, but haven't introduced myself! I'm 50 this year, and started doing heavy lifting about 16 months ago, alongside dieting. I did some bodyweight exercises back at the beginning, but bodyweight exercises are hard when you have a big bodyweight - ha ha! However, I ended up spending a few months without access to the gym and wanted to keep up the resistance training, so I used Body By You (same author as YAYOG) alongside doing some weights at home.

I preferred the Boy By You programme to YAYOG, partly because it was simple - four exercises. However, I often got confused with the programming as it seemed to change so much!

At the moment I do some heavy lifting at the gym, and some bodyweight exercises at home. I expect that I will be giving up the gym again at some point in the future, but I plan to keep up the home exercises indefinitely. Hopefully it should be something I can carry into old age.
  • Caliban036
    Options
    Just joined MFP, but have been doing YAYOG for almost a year now. I love using Mark Lauren's system. It has helped my running immensely. Glad to be here!
  • strongmindstrongbody
    Options
    I started YAYOG on Monday and am excited. I was running my body ragging with long, intense cardio. Got results, yes, but also got the nagging injuries to go with it. Decided enough of that - I want to increase my odds of having good mobility in my old age - so here I am. I'm supplementing YAYOG with HIIT cardio, walking, and yoga. Feels like I'm on the right path to a long and active life now.

Nice to "meet" you all. :flowerforyou:
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Adrienne, I'm 33 and I just downloaded the app and am considering buying the book as well. I've lost almost 40 pounds so far but I want to incorporate more strength training into my routine but I don't want to join a gym so this sounds perfect!

I'm torn between getting the Body by You book or the original. I heard BBY you need to hang from a door or a pull up bar - I live in a rental so don't want to break the door or drill a bar into the wall so that makes me lean more toward the original. If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd be curious to hear them.

Feel free to add me as a friend! Just mention in the request that you are from this group.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Aubrette :) glad to see there is a group for this on here! I just started week 4 of the beginner program (I use the app) and I really like it so far, I already feel stronger and see more definition.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I just got my copy of Body By You! I'm excited to go home and start reading it after work. I'm still sore from my first workout (Novice level 10 week program) from two days ago!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm now on week three of the basic program. Just finished day 2 of 4. It's a challenge which is great - I'm getting and feeling stronger already. I did take pics of my arms before and week 2- and I see more definition for sure. I should've taken pics of my back... oh well, too late now =).

I hope I can stick with the program and finish the 10 weeks...
  • janicebinva
    janicebinva Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm lurking on this group for now because my arm is in a sling (just had rotator cuff repair surgery two weeks ago). It will probably be a few months before I can start something like this. But I'm looking forward to it. Seems like a great bare-bones exercise program. Who needs a gym? I've done that before and liked it, but my options where I live and work now are not looking good to me. Plus the good classes are always so packed at the one I just quit. You can sometimes not even find a spot. I'd rather pay one month's membership fee and get YAYOG.