lean circuit

Options
vsetter
vsetter Posts: 558 Member
Just started the lean circuit and I don't think I like it. After the push circuit, I don't feel this one is challenging my lower body enough. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MrsT_2009
    MrsT_2009 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would agree with that. The Lean circuit is definitely not my favorite. I'm not sure if this makes sense but I feel like this circuit puts a lot of focus on the areas that are the easiest to see muscle definition in a short period of time. By doing bent-over rows I started to see the muscles in my back fairly quickly. I've done approximately 8 million squats and my butt is smaller, but otherwise looks no different. I'm glad to see these muscles in my shoulders, arms and back but I do wish it were more well-rounded. My advice is stick with it - I hated the lean circuit but did complete and am now going back through the program a second time. The other 2 circuits make up for this one!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    How funny....I was just thinking that this morning, as I enter my 3rd week of the Lean Phase. I definitely feel the concentration is more on the upper body but I do have to say that I'm loving the results I'm seeing in my arms and shoulders.

I still haven't decided if I'll do the entire program all over again or if I'll just move on to the Lean for Life phase. I'm kind of leaning towards the Lean for Life, just to mix things up a bit and see how my body responds.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I was also trying to decide what to do next. Lean for Life seems like a good mix. I figured that if I went through it a second time, I would mix it up a bit. I was thinking that next month would be Push, followed by Burn, Push, Lean. Lean and Burn seem too similar to me to do them back to back. That's why I thought about throwing Push in the middle. Plus, I really liked the Push month.

BUT --- then liking the push stuff makes me wonder if I should come up with my own routine all together.

I will finish out this month and take a rest week at the end. For now and for the next 3 weeks, maybe I will add a series of high weight squats or lunges or deadlifts at the end of each circuit.
  • sbroadus
    sbroadus Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to finish week 3 of Lean circuit. I will say its not my favorite as I find it very difficult but on the flipside of that I have noticed the most change overall in my body fat composition. The push month was my favorite! I could start to see my muscles and feel how strong I was getting. Especially in my legs and back.
    I'm trying to decide if I want to do a month of lean for life then move on to the 3 months of turbofire, followed by a CLX/Turbofire hybrid.
  • lashwish
    Options
    Interesting, I just started Lean this week.
    Its def my least fav but I think its HARD!
    Im having the hardest time finding out the correct weight to use since Im used to heavy weights from last phase

I have bad wrists so the plank & PU are murder on them.

My arms were killing me. I guess I wasnt really noticing but now that you mention it its certainly more arm focused.

I do feel tighter though after only doing circuit 1 & 2 once each
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I did Lean 2 last night and I just found a couple of moves awkward. I don't know what it's called but when you're on the floor and you're raising one leg while doing the pinkie-out shoulder raise. It hurt my back and I tried re-positioning but I couldn't get it to feel right.
  • lashwish
    Options
    We are at the same spot on Lean then!
    Sorry about your back. HOw heavy were you lifting? I think I went pretty light on it since it was at the end, right?
    I think going lighter helped, but I had to since I was dead from all the other arm stuff.
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    I did the first workout in Lean and was also struggling to find the right weights for the exercises. I guess I went too heavy because the next morning I couldn't lift a water bottle without wincing in pain. After three days of no exercise, my deltoids are feeling much better, and I'm hoping I can go back to lifting on Monday.

I'm thinking of doing Lean for Life when I finish this month and then doing the CLX/Turbo Hybrid.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    We are at the same spot on Lean then!
    Sorry about your back. HOw heavy were you lifting? I think I went pretty light on it since it was at the end, right?
    I think going lighter helped, but I had to since I was dead from all the other arm stuff.

I went pretty light on it. Probably could have done more weight. It wasn't a struggle to do the shoulder move as much as raising the leg caused lower back pain. Just felt awkward all together.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Maybe for your legs go as heavy as you can and when your arms fatigue continue the leg moves.

I also noticed some of the exercises you do a "Break Down" and it's legs only. Take a second to pick up heavier weights for that.

I wrote down all the break downs on my sheet so I knew when I had to make a swift switch.
  • lashwish
    Options
    do you normally have back pain?
    gotta make sure weight is distributed evenly on all limbs (except for lifting arms of course)

do you think you tweaked something in another move?

I actually felt good doing the leg lift, a nice stretch

make sure you stretch well after too, I think sometimes the balance between sides is a tad off or she skips shoulder stretch.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    do you normally have back pain?
    gotta make sure weight is distributed evenly on all limbs (except for lifting arms of course)

do you think you tweaked something in another move?

I actually felt good doing the leg lift, a nice stretch

make sure you stretch well after too, I think sometimes the balance between sides is a tad off or she skips shoulder stretch.

No I don't normally have back pain and the pain was only during the move. As soon as I was done I felt normal again. I'll have to try altering my form again when I do that workout next. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

I did Lean 3 today for the first time. Definitely my favourite of all the Lean workouts. I'm so tired now from all the pushups :)
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would agree that you should look at your form. I noticed on the Burn Cir 3 I did on Friday that because I had upped my weights I really had to tighten my abs or my back would arch, which would cause pain....
  • lashwish
    Options
    Ill have to try that move again & see if I have any pain.
    I dont think I like any of the Lean wos ;) They are all tough tough tough!
    I still hate pushups but I could actually do the army crawl easily

I still feel like Im getting weaker with Lean, I so prefer 6-8 reps of heavy over 10-12 lighter.

I also earned myself a blood blister on my thumb however I did find my lifting gloves.
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Army crawl? Ok, you've got me curious. I might have to pull out the DVD before I'm even ready for it.

I can't see me ever loving push ups like she says....i'm good w/ the on my knees business but get me on my toes...I 'might' be able to do a couple but no way can I do tricep push ups.
  • lashwish
    Options
    Army crawl is plank & bring knee to elbow.
    I thought I tried something like it doing BodyRock & hated it but this was easy.
  • cookiemahnster
    cookiemahnster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of push ups either - mostly because I can't do them and they make me frustrated! I'm ok on my knees for a few. Not looking forward to Lean 3 after reports of push ups! I thought it was sneaky how only one set of push ups was listed in the exercise log sheet for Lean 1 and then two of the breakdown sets had them as well! I don't understand how to do the tricep push ups without my tummy getting in the way. Boo.

I also struggled with Lean 1 as I was still in the Push mindset and used the weights I used there for bicep stuff...15 pounds. My arms are pretty toast, still, and 10-12 reps seems like FOREVER when you are used to 6-8.

Does Chalene give any guidance as to what you should strive for, weight-wise, in Lean? Should your goal be to lift as heavy as in Push or is that just ridiculous? I want to make sure I am pushing myself the appropriate amount. I don't have any of the guidebooks, so thought it might be in there.
  • lashwish
    Options
    Good Lord, dont lift like in push! I mean I guess if you can but there is no way I could & last 10-12 reps!
    I just completed 2nd week of circuit 2. I am still finding it way hard to lift as I did in push. There are so many repeated moves for same muscles plus adding in leg lifts, I just cant do it!

As much as I dislike how hard these wos are, I do think my body is changing & getting lean super fast! Its really kinda crazy!
  • cookiemahnster
    cookiemahnster Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first go at Lean 3. I don't mind this one as much as I thought since I knew in advance there would be so many pushups. For some reason, I think Chalene saying "lead with your chest" for pushups actually for once made me do a pushup the right way...maybe! Definitely not all the way down, but I think I get the form more.

I'm getting used to the lower weights since there are so many reps. And I think now I really get what the "Extreme sets" are. Ouch! :)

I'm off on a week of vacation tomorrow and a little bummed it's right in the middle of Lean and I am flying so won't be bringing my 50 pounds of weights with me. I will attempt to get some cardio in though. Then excited to get back to the Lean circuits!!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    She says right up front that the Lean Phase is primarily focused on the CORE. (hence the lack of lower body stuff). I think Push is where she focuses on lower body and Burn is an overall, general workout of all areas.

I'm just starting lean, but I think that if the main focus is core, then lowering the weight just enough to maintain whatever position you are in for the core is very important (not too much though..don't use that as an excuse to lift too little). If the weight is too heavy and strains you out of position, then back it off a bit for those awkward moves like plank/tricep lifts etc. Once you can keep the position with the lower weight, then you can increase the weight. Not sure if that is sound advice or not, but seems to make the most sense to me....thoughts?

(ps. I find lean difficult as well...my core needs a lot of work..hehe so this is perfect for me)