Successful Harvest

Options
124»

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    In MI we can buy 2 public land doe permits and 5 private land doe permits and our first tag can be used for either sex during bow season.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I went out yesterday morning but was a bit cramped for time because my dad had to go to work in the afternoon. I've been working so much overtime I really haven't had time to hunt during the week (and hunting on the weekend is off limits in the park we manage until the new year). I saw nothing all morning but my dad took out his ninth deer, a decent sized 5 point. As we were dragging it out we came across a big buck, most likely the big 8 pointer we have been seeing around. He looked at us for a minute and then high tailed it. I know I will get more deer this year I just have to put in the time in a stand instead of overtime at work.

I'm sorry, did you say 9th deer?? this year???

Yup, my dad actually got another one too so between the two of us we are at 13 deer this season. We are a part of a d-pop program, there is no limit to how many antlerless deer we shoot and we can take up to two bucks as long as we shoot 2 doe before we take each buck. The deer are really overpopulated here so we are just doing our part and we are filling our freezers at the same time :). It is nice to be doing a public service while doing something we love.

I am actually proud to announce that I got my first big buck tonight! He is a really meaty one. I'll be taking better pictures tomorrow in the daylight so I will figure out how to post those once I get them taken. He was an 8 point with an extra nub but one of the points was broken off, most likely from fighting. It was a beautiful double lung shot. I feel like I just stepped into my own as a hunter. I controled myself, didn't get the shakes. He looked right at me but didn't make me. I took my time, did everything right. I'm so proud of myself and my bow. Everything was smooth as could be! :)
  • hunter1025
    hunter1025 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Congrats.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    awesome job with the 8 pointer.

opening day Monday in Mass (shotgun only). heard a few up ahead of me but no visuals....they really get deep into the swamps and laurel.
  • hunter1025
    Options
    Monday was our opener and was probably one of the worst I have seen in years. Only saw 3 deer (1 my son couldn't get a shot at) and hardly any shot. I did hear 2 shots at 6:30 in the morning which it was still pitch black.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    strange to hear from others that they are opening when we are already closed.
  • hunter1025
    Options
    Well I was driving up to my camp Friday morning about 5:00am to hunt and WAMO a deer decides to jump infront of my truck on the highway. I managed to slow down to 55mph before I hit it. Luckily it was still drivable. Other than that I didn't see a thing and getting very frustrated. 1 week left.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Oh dang! Not the chosen method. Sorry hunter!
  • Nanadena
    Options
    Late Plains deer season opened yesterday, December 1st. 3 out of 4 tags filled. Today I filled the last tag. Wonderful hunt.

20121202_120925_1b.jpg

A nice Colorado mule deer
  • Nanadena
    Options
    The rest of the hunt, two mule deer and the biggest is a hybrid white tail.

20121201_142619b.jpg
  • hunter1025
    Options
    Congrats. That's awesome.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    that is great!
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    This buck was taken with a bow a couple of towns over from me. It is 18 points and weighed just over 200 lbs. they are confirming if it a Massachusetts record. I can only hope to see something like this in the woods.

18pointer.jpg
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I'm finally posting pictures of my first decent sized buck from about 2 weeks ago. Taken with a crossbow in VA. This is my third deer of the season and I'll be going out again this Friday.

35jwb2u.jpg

10qxi7m.jpg
  • Nanadena
    Options
    Very nice! Congratulations! I wished we could use crossbows in Colorado. Looks like fun.
  • hunter1025
    Options
    Congrats on the buck.