NOT WORKING!! Calories, science, and standard deviation

Options
13»

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I am using my fitbit because the scooby numbers were too high for me. There are some days I burn up to 2500 but there are a lot of days where I only burn 2100. If I ate at 2100 all the time I wouldn't be losing very much if at all.

Using the fitbit numbers it is more tailored to my body so there are days where I eat 1600 (rest days usually) and there are days where I am eating 1900+ depending. I never go below 1600 though (unless I'm not feeling well but even then I don't go too far below 1600).

I had my metabolism tested and she said it is very low so I know I will be losing a lot slower anyway (which seems to have always been the case for me).

So I'm just rolling with it.

I had a 4 lbs loss the other week after 12 weeks of no losses so something is working. My jeans are looser and the inches are coming off again too. I can see more muscle definition as well and my body is looking fitter. I am trying to get out of the NOW mentality, as in the weight needs to all be off NOW. And just keep telling myself that as long as it is coming off, even if it is .1 or .2 loss per week, that's okay. I'm lifting weights too so I know that even if I only lost .1 or .2 I am still changing my body and there is recomposition at play as well.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I will respectfully disagree. An individual who has drastically slowed down their metabolism can in fact gain weight on what SHOULD be maintenance and even COULD be maintenance with a bit of patience. People OFTEN maintain on 1300, 1400, 1500, 1700 calories but then increase their calories...gain AT FIRST and then lose some weight. Eventually they maintain on more than that previous number. That is what the reset is all about. You cannot take your reset gain--a result of extended calorie deficits--and use that to assess your maintenance level...you'd be doing yourself absolutely no good.

That's just my opinion though and you're welcome to disagree with it. Thanks for your post though--and I agree that for someone with NO REASON to believe they've impaired their metabolism that this is how they would find their maintenance. Similarly, if a person feels that their metabolism is beyond repair (either because of a hormonal condition or something that cannot be reversed) then they would also benefit.

I agree with this since I am one of those VLCD people and am going through the metabolism retraining process (I've done the 8 week reset but it is just the beginning of that process...I have so much more healing to do yet!). I'm still not losing scale weight or inches and I'm starting my 7th week of cut, but if you want to see what IS happening, you can read it here (and there's some progress photos which speak volumes):

http://eatmore2weighless.com/update-the-long-haul-nicole/

My ultimate goal is to be at a size I am happy with, eating as much food as I can possibly retrain my metabolism to get away with! :tongue: