What is your level and dose.........

Options
I am just curious since all doctors seem to have different measures and ideas on what the proper dose of synthroid is what everyone is on. Last time I had my blood work done my t3 was 4.4 (she never tests my T4) I am on .75mg of synthroid. My doctor believes I am in the norm........however I think my dose should be increased. I have gained 20 pounds since I was diagnosed and no matter how much I exercise or how little I eat I can never drop more than 5 pounds......OH SO FRUSTRATED.

Replies

• vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell you the last time I had blood work done. I'm on Levothyroxin (Synthroid generic) and have been for almost 15 years. I take 150 mcg per day.

It's funny, I didn't even notice many of the persistent symptoms until I joined this group! I plan to have a full physical with blood work done this fall.
  • BWinsto1
    BWinsto1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't know my blood work results right now but I'm taking levothyroxin 50 mcg per day. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in January 2012.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Synthroid (synthetic T4 only) did not work for me. Of course, my doctor started me out on it. For some reason, Synthroid is the go to medicine for doctors. Every 6 months my doc was having to increase my dosage. By the time we switched my medicine I was taking 125mcg of Synthroid. Now, I take Armour (all natural T1,2,3 & 4) (37.5 mcg I take two 15mcg and cut one in half) and I am finally seeing progress. I finally feel somewhat better. My doc does the cheap TSH test once a year and the expensive whole blood panel once a year (so basically I have blood work every 6 months). I am VERY happy with the Armour. But, everyone is different. Just because Armour works for me, doesn't mean that it will work for you. If synthroid isn't alleviating your symptoms try a different medicine, and don't let your doctor talk you out of it. If your doc won't let you switch, find a more open minded doctor. Good luck with your journey.
  • emstethem
    Options
    Oh, and you asked about blood levels too...I felt like S#!T when my levels were around 4. I feel best when I'm humming along at a 1; however, right now my doc is having to adjust my medicine because my blood test came back hypER. My body really agrees with the Armour medicine. My doc just reduced my dosage from 45mcg to 37.5 mcg (I take two 15s and cut one of them in half which is very difficult because the pills are so tiny...)and she wants me to come back for more blood work in two months. I think I'm still hyper, and that she may reduce my dosage again when I follow up after my next blood test.
  • emstethem
    Options
    Oh, and I've been suffering from hypothyroidism for about 7 years now. :(
  • emstethem
    Options
    Oh, and I understand your frustration with the weight gain issues associated with hypothyroidism too...I went from a size 8 to a size 16/18. :( I was miserable. Now, on the Armour, I'm finally seeing progress as a result of my efforts instead of feeling like a hamster running on a wheel that doesn't move...haha Just eat clean and exercise. Avoid foods that aggravate your thyroid such as foods known as goitrogens. Limit these. Well, good luck.
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You really need to switch to armour

Google it and make your case to your doc and dont leave until you have been switched over.

I gained 38lbs before switching :(
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I took Synthroid for 15 years - they changed my dose several times a year - because the nitwit doctors didn't know I had Hashimoto and that my levels would swing wildly on Synthroid. I now take Armour Natural Thyroid -- I take 120 mcg divided in two doses during the day.

When you look at your tests, TSH is meaningless and has almost nothing to do with your thyroid. Your T4 (inactive hormone) levels should be at the low end of the "normal" range or even below normal. Your T3 (active hormone) levels should be on the high side of normal or slightly above.

Note, that many of us have adrenal stress/fatigue and/or low Ferritin/Iron levels... if either of these conditions are present, you can take thyroid meds all day long and they won't work properly.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    So I have a question for those that have been moved to Armour or other natural thryroid. My wife's doctor says that her current synthroid and cytomel doses are too high for her to be switched and he is giving her other thyroid supporting supplements to wean her off of the synthetics.

Has anyone had this happen as well? You end up taking a smaller dose of the natural thyroid and it works better for you? If I remember correctly she's on 75mg of T4 and 17.5mg of T3 daily.
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No idea what my blood tests showed but I went up from 50 to 100m of thyroxine 10 days ago and I can feel a difference. already.
  • sparrow70
    sparrow70 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I take 250MCG of Levothyroxin. My doctor said I'm the only patient he has had on that high of dosage. I have no idea what my numbers run. Couldn't even tell u what they were when I was diagnosed more than 11 yrs ago.
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know what my levels are. My dose is of Armour and I take 105 mg daily. I have stabilize at that dose for the past almost 2 years.
    As far as levels go, I think each person feels better at different ones. Personally my T3 and T4 need to be high normal to slightly high for me to feel good. Since I switched and my doc and I got me feeling where I want to be I haven't been as obsessed with that number. As long as I have good symptom control and my doc says things look good I haven't pushed for details.

If that changes, I will be more attentive to numbers. You do have to be careful about doctors that treat the bloodwork and ignore the patient.

As far as meds go, each person finds their own right. My sister can't take the Armour so she takes the synthetic T3 and the synthetic T4. I doubt you could hold a bullet to my head to go back to synthetic.
  • caro1275
    caro1275 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    So what do you do or take if you have adrenal fatigue? And how can I find out if that is the case? I was only diagnosed 3 weeks ago, so I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Thank you!!
    I took Synthroid for 15 years - they changed my dose several times a year - because the nitwit doctors didn't know I had Hashimoto and that my levels would swing wildly on Synthroid. I now take Armour Natural Thyroid -- I take 120 mcg divided in two doses during the day.

When you look at your tests, TSH is meaningless and has almost nothing to do with your thyroid. Your T4 (inactive hormone) levels should be at the low end of the "normal" range or even below normal. Your T3 (active hormone) levels should be on the high side of normal or slightly above.

Note, that many of us have adrenal stress/fatigue and/or low Ferritin/Iron levels... if either of these conditions are present, you can take thyroid meds all day long and they won't work properly.
  • kelly81082
    kelly81082 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed last week and started on 50MCG of levo. My thyroid result from bloodwork was 4.77, I go in November for a TSH.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Sorry, actually after checking dosage it looks like she's on 25mg T4 and 17.5mcg of T3.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    my endocrinologist figures out exactly how much synthroid and cytomel I should be taking. She was checking my blood every 4-6 weeks at first (after 1/2 of my thyroid was removed) and now is testing every 6 months. She tests for T3, T4, THS. I take 88mcg synthroid (brand name not generic) and 5 mg. cytomel in the A.M. and about 2.5mcg at about 12:30 (it is not a scored tablet and so I take about 1/2 of the pill or else I go to sleep for about 2 hours). There is some mathematical calculations that she does to get the exact dose. What the math is I have not a clue, but it works! She is very skilled. If you think your doc. is not so skilled then I suggest you get a second opinion.
  • RicoHuerta
    RicoHuerta Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about all those who switched also. I'm up to 175mcg on synthroid and it seems like this level kind of works but I struggle with losing any weight despite low calories and moderate exercise. I moved from miami to tucson so hopefully the new doc at this base is open to using armour.
  • tawny75
    tawny75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • tawny75
    tawny75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I take 250MCG of Levothyroxin. My doctor said I'm the only patient he has had on that high of dosage. I have no idea what my numbers run. Couldn't even tell u what they were when I was diagnosed more than 11 yrs ago.

I take that too! Diagnosed with Graves at 18, nuked at 25, stable for 5+ years now
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Got my test results back yesterday
    TSH 3.14
    T3 1.4
    T4 Free 15.4
    I am taking 30 mg of Natural Thyroid (Canadian version of Armour); but I am still getting things regulated. I am also being treated for Adrenal Fatigue, which is very common in people with hypo, and has been the source of many of my symptoms. Its so exciting to feel "almost" normal again! Energy returning! :bigsmile: