What are your chances?

Options
A woman I know posted a question on Facebook for her single friends. What do think is the percentage chance you'll get married. Her response was 10%. She figured when she first divorced she would marry fairly soon because she feared being single but over time she is becoming more comfortable being on her own and having her independence. My response was similar. I said 5% because I start to feel suffocated if a girlfriend stays over for an entire weekend. What do think is your percentage and why?

Replies

• cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I say there's about 50% I will get married. I am in no rush, just started seeing a guy so we will see.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I start to feel suffocated if a girlfriend stays over for an entire weekend.

Really??? I'm more interested in this!! :bigsmile: Why do you feel suffocated?? Have you ever lived with anyone David? Are you a loner? Can't you just share the house, rather than the room 24/7?? Not that I'm trying to analyse you, but I find a lot of people are intolerant of too much company if they dont have their own 'space'... .hmmm! I am too, but I'm never one to sit still for hours anyhow......

Marraige- 0%!! I dont believe in it, never have and never will. I will happily live with someone again tho, and hope that is 100% :bigsmile:
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Funny, I'm starting to get that feeling....I just thought it was a "I finally got things the way I like them, so don't touch my space" thing.... :laugh:

What's the chance I'll get remarried? or Percentage to be exact:

Well my youngest child is 5 so my mindset right now is to not get married until the youngest child turns 18.
    Because I want to keep my kids' name (yes I know it's the ex's name, has nothing to do with him) but I remember my mom did that for us, becuase it avoided that whole, "Why doesn't your mom have the same last name....." questions from nosy and mean kids.

So I'll be 43 years old then.....chances are pretty slim, gonna say 1.5 - 2%chance?? :ohwell: I don't need a piece of paper from the state to show the world I love that person
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in paper marriages. I think that making a commitment to love someone for the rest of your life is more important that signing a document so the government can get their fingers in your life too.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Honest answer is close to 100% but perhaps I will discover the issues that I think have prevented it really have nothing to do with the situation and it will be the same someplace else.

Least I hope it is warm there :tongue:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A woman I know posted a question on Facebook for her single friends. What do think is the percentage chance you'll get married. Her response was 10%. She figured when she first divorced she would marry fairly soon because she feared being single but over time she is becoming more comfortable being on her own and having her independence.

I can definitely see that. The longer I'm single, the more I love it. I would almost rather just continue dating someone, never even move in together. Except for the sex thing.
    My response was similar. I said 5% because I start to feel suffocated if a girlfriend stays over for an entire weekend.

What about her presence makes you feel suffocated? Is it that you don't have enough time to drop your guard and be yourself? Or maybe it feels like she's gonna jump your case sometime soon? I can't really identify, just throwing out ideas...
    What do think is your percentage and why?

I think my percentage is 5-10%. I judge that I'm a "good woman" by the number of guys I go out with who actually seem like they wanna settle down. But I'm a little weird, and in some ways rigid. And the more I reflect upon my married life, the less likely I am to chagne the things about me that I would have to change. And as I age, the age of the guys who are interested in me gets older and older and I just don't wanna be 50 married to an 80yr old.

If I did get married, though, I'd insist upon separate bathrooms and closets!! I believe that's one of the 3 keys to a healthy marriage.

Edited to add: Hey Dave!! Nice new pic! I didn't even realize that was you when I originally replied!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I want to get married but I fear I never will. I would guess right now my chances are low, as there is a large selection of single gals and I probably don't top too many guys' lists of what they want. I have a feeling that if I marry it won't be until I'm older like 40. I want kids but if I don't get married until I'm older I probably won't have them.

If I had to put a percent on it I'd say 20% chance?
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know.

On my positive outlook days, I would say 90%.

On my negative days, 5-10%.

I always think I'm too weird for anyone to want to be with when I'm in a negative mood. When I'm feeling happy I think "Well, there are a lot of weirdos in relationships."

So it depends on the day for me, I guess.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I think my chances are 33% lol
    I don't know its not that I don't want marriage. I DO (see practice)
    I just think at almost 36 yo..that I haven't ever had a man fall in love with me..chances are pretty low that this will happen, since past is a predictor of the future. Most men who look at me as date-able have one broken marriage under their belt and don't seem eager to jump into anything for awhile.
    To me if it doesn't happen with in my child baring years (ie before I'm 40)..I'm probably not going to get married. I hope that I could be common law and have a long term relationship one day..with love and sharing and caring. But if I can't be a mother..something would be missing and I don't want my pension going to some man if he divorces me (since I am assuming I would have the higher salary).

I realize this seems very pessimistic (I'm in a mood after the most promising and interesting man I've chatted with yet has not returned any communication over yesterday and today...even though he asked me out for tomorrow..so yet again..NADA)...I want to have a happy healthy fulfilling marriage very much. To love and be loved and share myself with one man..I just don't think its going to be in the cards for me.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    5% I'd estimate...My friends say otherwise on my behalf because they know how bubbly and friendly I tend to be, but my point back to them is that is not an indicator of attraction for men. Men I'm interested in want to be my friend, and the men that want me usually make me want to throw up in my mouth. I'm not willing to settle since I have a pretty good life on my own and fill my time completely. I've never been the girl that gets attention, and at 36, the odds of that changing are non-existent.

I struggle with this though, because I'm not the girl who will run around hooking up just because it's been a while without physical contact but can't quite imagine going without forever. Maybe I need to turn to professionals, haha...maybe the urge to be in a relationship would go away if that one need was satisfied :bigsmile:
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I never say anythings impossible, but I highly doubt that I will want to get married in the next 10 years at least. If at all. Just not my thing....I'm open to semi-long term relationships but other than that I don't want to feel trapped or forced to be with someone. The exact reason I won't buy a house with them or anything else that would trap me. Also always protection! Always. I have a friend who's girlfriend "forgot" to take the pill....now he hates his life. I feel sorry for that guy. His hopes and dreams all gone just like that....
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Over 50%. I'm around the median age for first marriage. When I graduated college, I thought I'd be married by now. So who really knows?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Also always protection! Always. I have a friend who's girlfriend "forgot" to take the pill....now he hates his life. I feel sorry for that guy. His hopes and dreams all gone just like that....

He isn't 100% innocent though...you can always choose abstinence or insist on using condoms. You are responsible for you.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I think my chances are 33% lol
    I don't know its not that I don't want marriage. I DO (see practice)
    I just think at almost 36 yo..that I haven't ever had a man fall in love with me..chances are pretty low that this will happen, since past is a predictor of the future. Most men who look at me as date-able have one broken marriage under their belt and don't seem eager to jump into anything for awhile.
    To me if it doesn't happen with in my child baring years (ie before I'm 40)..I'm probably not going to get married. I hope that I could be common law and have a long term relationship one day..with love and sharing and caring. But if I can't be a mother..something would be missing and I don't want my pension going to some man if he divorces me (since I am assuming I would have the higher salary).

I realize this seems very pessimistic (I'm in a mood after the most promising and interesting man I've chatted with yet has not returned any communication over yesterday and today...even though he asked me out for tomorrow..so yet again..NADA)...I want to have a happy healthy fulfilling marriage very much. To love and be loved and share myself with one man..I just don't think its going to be in the cards for me.

Nope! The 2 girls I know that had the same situation married the PERFECT men in their late 30's to mid 40's. You see their selection of men was limited, because they wanted a forever marriage. Someone with things in common and who wanted the same things. So the friends that married and divorced several times would put those girls down, and I would just shake my head.

In the end at least one of them is so happy it makes me sick to my stomach :laugh:

So don't think there is not much chance, the perfect guy for you just has not come along:heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    5% I'd estimate...My friends say otherwise on my behalf because they know how bubbly and friendly I tend to be, but my point back to them is that is not an indicator of attraction for men. Men I'm interested in want to be my friend, and the men that want me usually make me want to throw up in my mouth. I'm not willing to settle since I have a pretty good life on my own and fill my time completely.

OMG I think I love you :laugh:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or is this thread kind of depressing?
    Honestly,whether I may or may not agree with someone on any particular issue I see no reason at all for anyone to think they have zero chance of finding happiness.

I know my social shortcomings and am actively trying to overcome them,as I said up thread I may find that some of my assumptions have been excuses and that I need to look deeper but dammit I am not just going to give up.
    Have been there and was an unpleasant sad sack that I am not proud of.

I am not blowing smoke up anyones *kitten* (I can`t imagine where that cliché came from) but it is true.
    At some point the only thing holding ourselves back is us,am terribly guilty of that but also know I want better and will strive to attain it.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Not just you...this is kind of depressing.

I'm about as jaded as one can be about getting married, given some of the stuff I've seen here and among friends, but I still want to give it a shot. I don't have any clue what my chances are, but I'm at least open to the possibility of greatness :smile:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    90% for me.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't consider this negative. I'm still out there trying to meet someone despite feeling like my odds are low. I am just honest enough with myself to know the odds aren't with me. Like Kerry said, the past is a predictor of the future. No one has ever been in love with me either, and I say that with no negativity. It's my reality. Men do not naturally feel attraction to me; they feel friendship!

I enjoy my life to the fullest! I have a dog who is excited to see me every day, I've gotten to travel the world and do about every water sport out there, I have a job I'm good at and more than enough money to be comfortable, I have a LOT of friends and am never lacking for friendly interaction, and for me most importantly, my faith gets me through some tough days.

I can't ask for being blessed with much more, but my particular struggles will always be weight and men. I can't seem to lose one or find the other :laugh: My reality is that I'm a great catch, but between my standards and men's interests, it just isn't a match! I'm sure I'll be that little old lady who hangs out in the nursing home with all the widowed men, dancing it up, drinking beer, and laughing away my last days with lots of male companions. THAT will be my hayday!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I don't consider this negative. I'm still out there trying to meet someone despite feeling like my odds are low. I am just honest enough with myself to know the odds aren't with me. Like Kerry said, the past is a predictor of the future. No one has ever been in love with me either, and I say that with no negativity. It's my reality. Men do not naturally feel attraction to me; they feel friendship!

I enjoy my life to the fullest! I have a dog who is excited to see me every day, I've gotten to travel the world and do about every water sport out there, I have a job I'm good at and more than enough money to be comfortable, I have a LOT of friends and am never lacking for friendly interaction, and for me most importantly, my faith gets me through some tough days.

I can't ask for being blessed with much more, but my particular struggles will always be weight and men. I can't seem to lose one or find the other :laugh: My reality is that I'm a great catch, but between my standards and men's interests, it just isn't a match! I'm sure I'll be that little old lady who hangs out in the nursing home with all the widowed men, dancing it up, drinking beer, and laughing away my last days with lots of male companions. THAT will be my hayday!

I agree, most of it isn't negative at all. A lot of people here are saying that they think their chances are low but who cares they are happy!

I didn't assign a percentage to mine because I genuinely don't know, I just made a comment about my belief on the social perception of marriage.

If I do never find someone to settle down with it's fine. I have an awesome life and it's really only going to get better.