What are your chances?

Options

Replies

• shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I don't think marriage is for everyone... But you never know, so it's hard to put a percentage on it!

Personally, I don't see myself ever getting married. I used to think I would, in fact I was positive. But the more I spend time with people, my significant other included, the more I realize I like my personal space and how private of a person I am. I think a big part of it is how much baggage I carry, and how scary it is to think about someone knowing ALL OF IT.

I don't like sharing a bed, I don't like to cuddle, and frankly I don't even notice if it's been a week since we've seen one another.

I'm not totally opposed to the idea of marriage one day, but I wouldn't be surprised or all that disappointed if it never happened.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'd give myself 75%, I know it's just a procession but it is something I'd like to accomplish or experience at some point in my life. At least I'd hope I meet someone that special.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Probably 0-5%. I've never been interested in marriage, I don't really get the point of it (the idea of parading with a woman and other people in front of my family and friends in costumes and the forced, fake happiness of everyone make me want to puke) and so I'd rather imagine myself in LTRs without being married.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Probably 0-5%. I've never been interested in marriage, I don't really get the point of it (the idea of parading with a woman and other people in front of my family and friends in costumes and the forced, fake happiness of everyone make me want to puke) and so I'd rather imagine myself in LTRs without being married.

Costumes are fun though! Dibs on being a Green Lantern!!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i say 10% chance, and it's not because i'm not interested. i think it's because i'm a hard person to match .. maybe i need to find my own misfit island
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I say 50%. Half of me wants to travel the world and be a maneater. The other half wants to settle down, have 2 kiddos and be a hot soccer mom. We shall see.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    .9 %
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    i say 10% chance, and it's not because i'm not interested. i think it's because i'm a hard person to match .. maybe i need to find my own misfit island

Ummm... I'd probably be crashing your little party...I'm a hard person to match as well...
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Marraige- 0%!! I dont believe in it, never have and never will. I will happily live with someone again tho, and hope that is 100% :bigsmile:

What are you, some kind of hippie, Anna? Next time I'm in London, I'll bring my Doors albums. You can bake some brownies and we can chill. :-)

--P
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    I don't believe in paper marriages. I think that making a commitment to love someone for the rest of your life is more important that signing a document so the government can get their fingers in your life too.

Yeah, the government leaves you alone when you choose to stay single.

--P
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I'm probably a 75% too. I'm 100% for it, maybe a little difficult to match, but pretty good at reaching compromises and not totally set in my ways.
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    I think my odds are pretty high. Perhaps 80%?

Also, I like the concept of marriage. I don't think I could make a relationship work with someone who categorically refused to get married for whatever reason. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I do believe it's important to formally commit to someone in a way that is more than just "you're my hook up partner forever." I'm not criticizing this approach, I'm just saying I doubt it will work for me.

As in the example of Schrödinger's cat, reality can be changed by observation, or interaction. The wave function collapses once the door is opened. In a formal marriage, something fundamental changes, as well. I'd like to think for the better. At least in my case I believe there is a greater desire, once married, to make it work.

Maybe to some it's "just a piece of paper," but to me it's more. I understand the logic behind not wanting or needing that piece of paper. Perhaps I'm even a bit envious of that approach. But it's just not me. My southern upbringing foils me again!

--P
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Marraige- 0%!! I dont believe in it, never have and never will. I will happily live with someone again tho, and hope that is 100% :bigsmile:

What are you, some kind of hippie, Anna? Next time I'm in London, I'll bring my Doors albums. You can bake some brownies and we can chill. :-)

--P

You dont need playground insults to come hang out with me Patrick, you're welcome anytime! :laugh:

ETA I might even explain WHY I feel the way I do :wink:
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I say 80%. If it wasn't for my career choice (showbiz), I would say 99% because of the culture I live in (Mormonism).

The average marrying age of Mormon girls is 22. I know several girls my age (18) who are already engaged. However, all the Mormon girls I know in showbiz get married after college usually. If you aren't married by age 23, you are essentially an "old maid" by Mormon standards. I actually had a bishop (basically a pastor in the Mormon church) tell me it was possible for me to get married right now (I was 16 at the time.) He went on to lecture me on how I had to find someone who was at least 21 if I wanted to get married. He had a son that was 21... Also, he asked how I was able to dress so modestly since I was so attractive... :noway: Crazy, I know... Note, this is NOT how all Mormons are... every religion has their nuts. haha

Anyway, before I got off track... I would say I have a very high chance of getting married. I'm young and my parents have a very successful marriage and are a great example to me.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I'd like to meet some awesome girl to spend my life with, have kids, be a family etc etc. My parents, who have been married 34+ years and still going strong, met at a very young age. My mother was 18 and dad was in his late 20's when they married. ( Incase you are wondering, they did date for 3 years before marrying each other. Yes that means my dad was in his 20's when he dated her under the age of 18. No he didn't know. My mother lied about her age when they first met. She liked older men and not "little boys" her age :tongue: ) Much of my extended family married young, as in before the age of 25. I don't know if they are happy or not, but out of the 20 marriages that I am aware of, only 1 has ended in divorce.

I know it's stupid to compare myself to others in my family, but sometimes during my early to mid 20's, I wondered what was wrong with me that I couldn't find someone yet, everyone else in my family could. I stopped with that now and just focus on myself. I don't really like to think about it because it gets depressing and I get sad. I'd rather be awesome instead of sad. First thing first though, I need to continue with losing weight/fat, getting healthy, work on my self-confidence issues etc. etc. If I don't fix that first then I know my chances are 0%.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Some people are talking about a wedding when marriage is a completely different concept. I don't care about HOW I get married..if its in Vegas, or in front of a local judge..with no one there but me and my man. The wedding doesn't matter to me..so much as the commitment to one person to love and cherish them above all others in sickness and in health. THAT is what matters. If I can financially afford to throw a big party to celebrate that commitment in front of my family and friends..well yippi but its certainly not what a marriage is in my books.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I say 5%. Not because I am terrible in relationships, afraid of commitment or don't want to get married. But simply because I am awful at meeting people and currently my situation does now allow for much improvement on that. And what can be seen of the future is more precarious than promising.
  • hcoburn37
    hcoburn37 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Considering I have already done it twice with no success, I would say about 5% chance I would do it again. But I would live with someone if that worked out, but not make it legal.
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    Considering I have already done it twice with no success, I would say about 5% chance I would do it again. But I would live with someone if that worked out, but not make it legal.

Third time's a charm!

--P
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    The wedding doesn't matter to me..
    To me neither, because as I find the whole concept ridiculous.
    so much as the commitment to one person to love and cherish them above all others in sickness and in health.
    Only problem is: this sentence has nothing to do with marriage specifically. Marriage is just re-affirming this commitment in front of others and making it official from a legal/tax standpoint.
    You can still commit to one person, to love and cherish them above all others in sickness and in heath without the need for marriage.
    Or you can still be married and not be committed to one person, to not love them and not cherish them above all others.

So then the real commitment is "inside", untold. So then marriage becomes nothing more than a cherry on the cake, but not a goal in itself (what kitsune was saying).