October check-in and chat thread

Options

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Just checking in to say...70 lbs on overhead press, baby. Sure, I'm at 3x5 now (not sure I could have done 5x5), but it felt incredible to reach this milestone. My butt cheeks were clenching something fierce to make sure I didn't lean back. I have to be careful with form on this move.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Squats: 120 5x5
    bench 80, failed. 4x5x3x4x3 This is second week in a row, so now I will go back down to 75
    rows 80 5x5 but felt like form was off, so I may deload or stay here till my form is better!
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Monday 10/08/2012

Squats 80 5x5
    OHP 50 5x5 last damn hard
    Deadlift 125 1x5 But just to prove a point 135 4x5
  • abirkel
    abirkel Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm 7 weeks in, and still loving it! I made it up to 120 in squats but failed the 2nd rep of the 2nd set after a 3 minute rest so I deloaded. I have been struggling with feeling super exhausted and my period makes me into a crazy person so I decided this week was a deload week for squats. SO last night I did 105 on squats. I did 55 on the OHP. Still my weakest lift by far but for some reason I really enjoy them. I deadlifted 135 last night. Next time I'll deadlift my bodyweight. :) I'm pretty pumped about that. I failed at 85 for bench once and then made it through last time. We'll see how 90lbs goes. I still pretty much hate the rows...stuck at 65 lbs perpetually. My back has to be getting stronger though because I can do a pull-up now. I'll keep working on the rows.

I went a birthday party for my grandma over the weekend and I had several relatives ask me if I've lost weight....I've actually gained about 10 lbs since the beginning of the summer. I LOVE muscle mass.

I'm starting to see how what I eat and how much affects my lifting and recovery....I am at a point where I have to get 120g of protein a day or my lifts suck the next day. It's crazy. But I really love it. :)

My husband has far surpassed me in all the lifts (stupid hormonal advantage) but I am really enjoying doing this program with him. I'm actually just happy that he's found an exercise routine that he likes and has stuck with. Was getting worried about his couch potato ways.

anyway, that's my update. :)
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My DH and I are starting Stronglifts today. Glad there's no OHP on the first day - that's the one I'm most worried about. :)
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Day 2of the reboot:
    Squat: 3 sets of 65
    OHP: 5 sets of 45
    Deads: 5 sets of 65

WRT the shoes, I wear my Converse and bring a pair of Asics for HIIT afterwards.

It feels good to really focus on form and not worry about increasing the weight too quickly.
    You did 5 whole sets of deads, dot? wowzers!

Yeah, 5x5...but it was *only* 65 pounds. Even after taking some time off, my quads/glutes/hams are pretty strong, so just 1 set wasn't making me feel like I was doing anything. As I go up in weight, I'll go down in sets.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options

I'm starting to see how what I eat and how much affects my lifting and recovery....I am at a point where I have to get 120g of protein a day or my lifts suck the next day. It's crazy. But I really love it. :)

Interesting. I'm still confused about calorie intake. I've definitely gained a bunch of muscle but only 2 lbs. Hopefully I've lost some fat but considering I've had trouble with some of my lifts lately, I kinda wonder if I'm not eating enough, or enough protein. I try to get 125 g of protein a day but never seem to get there. It's tough!!!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Did my first SL workout yesterday instead of Monday. Monday I was just too banged up from the Tough Mudder on Saturday.

I was kinda irritated, these guys were taking up the Power Rack to do deadlifts, so I kind of had to improvise with a funky squat rack looking thing.

I did the bar easily for squats, bench, and rows. I was surprised how easy even bench and rows felt. I'm going to go ahead and do workout B today even though I just did A yesterday since the weights are so light, just so I can get on a MWF schedule.
  • Qarol
    Options
    Interesting. I'm still confused about calorie intake. I've definitely gained a bunch of muscle but only 2 lbs. Hopefully I've lost some fat but considering I've had trouble with some of my lifts lately, I kinda wonder if I'm not eating enough, or enough protein. I try to get 125 g of protein a day but never seem to get there. It's tough!!!
    Cals were so tricky for me. Still are, I guess. I aim for 120g of protein a day. It basically means a lot of meat in my diet, which I'm fine with. And used to, as I've done a lower carb diet for a long time. I add more carbs in on lifting day and cut back a bit on non-lifting days.

I suggest just playing around with your cals. Give enough time at a certain amount to make sure it is or isn't working. And for me, I think I have to build in a cushion for error. I try so hard to measure everything and be really honest about my intake, but I was gaining weight at 2000 cals (I'm 5'8, that should not happen), so obviously I was creeping into a small surplus without realizing it. Makes me sad to think I could mess up so badly while trying so hard. I've lowered my cals to 1600 now. It's only been 3 weeks, but I feel good. Good luck!
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    I was not the only chick in the weight room last night...yay! The other lady in there, however, looks like she's in her upper 50's, but has has A LOT of work done and probably competes in fitnessy competitions. *sigh* Her hot son, however, flirted with me and asked if I needed help unloading the bar after some douchecanoe left the squat rack a mess. (It might have been him, who knows?) When I told him that I had it...he gave me a very cute, "Yeah, I bet you do" smile.

Or, I'm just imagining all of ^that^. It's possible. :laugh:

Squat: 75 3x5
    OHP: 50 4x5 (ZOMG, I had to struggle for that last set!)
    Dead: 75 3x5

I rushed through the deads because I was in the squat rack/cage area (which is the best place to do them...the only other big bars are on benches) and some dudes were all, 'Are you almost done?" So, I rushed. Meh, it was fine.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm doing good...I think about 8 weeks in. And yes, OHP are the WORST!!!

I got my 1.25 plates on Amazon as well...four of them for super cheap! I had checked my local Home Depot before that and they didn't have anything.
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Those of you thst are buying the 1.25 pâtés, do you workout at home? Or do you just bring them to the gym?
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Those of you thst are buying the 1.25 pâtés, do you workout at home? Or do you just bring them to the gym?

When I start needing them, I'm going to bring mine to the gym.
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

I got a set of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 lb plates from Amazon and I bring them to the gym with me. Had to start using them when I deloaded for rows. :grumble:
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Thanks, off to check Amazon.
    I just noticed that autocorrect changed plates to pâtés.whoops.
  • Qarol
    Options
    Thanks, off to check Amazon.
    Check ebay, too. You might find some with free shipping, like I did. When I originally shopped on Amazon, it was 9 bucks shipping. That may have changed since then, not sure.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to update because I'm feeling a little proud....I finally completed OHP at 70 without any fails. WOOT WOOT!
  • extraordinary_machine
    Options
    Way to go!!!!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Do any of you have sports equipment shops nearby? I was really surprised to find i was able to get half kg plates (1.1lb) at mine, despite living in the middle east. Only cost about $5. They had masses of good stuff there.

I'm in about my 3rd week, my numbers are now approaching my previous maxes with NRL4W, so it's getting harder! Although I still haven't even hit the beginning weight of 20kg/45lbs for the BP or OHP, i am such a wuss. This is where the little plates come in handy, when i only increase by 1kg, i stick a little plate on each end.

I'm not sure about my row form, i have seen vids of the pendlay row, and they really seem to be bent right over at 90 degrees. It feels wrong to me and i keep ending up angled slightly upwards, but still butt-back and knees a little bent. Is everyone else bent over, torso totally horizontal?
  • RunningDirty
    Options
    Just wanted to update because I'm feeling a little proud....I finally completed OHP at 70 without any fails. WOOT WOOT!

Rock on homey! :drinker: