October check-in and chat thread

Options

Replies

• jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Thanks girls! Feels good to finally conquer that lift!
  • siriusalien
    Options
    FOund mine, surprisingly, at walmart. My PT picked some up at sears
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to update because I'm feeling a little proud....I finally completed OHP at 70 without any fails. WOOT WOOT!

Nice!!
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Squats 65, so thrilled to be able to add weight each week now!
    OHP 65, failed miserably
    Dead 165, half my body weight!

I breezed through OHP at 60 last week, could not get more than 3 reps on any set on 65 this week. Makes me wonder if I did bad math and had the weights wrong again last week....
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Tough day today:

squats 125 5x5
    OHP 60 5/4/3/4/3 boooo
    deads 120

OHP is just so hard for me to progress.....
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Great stats!!! OHP is hardest for me too :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to update because I'm feeling a little proud....I finally completed OHP at 70 without any fails. WOOT WOOT!
    YAY! I announced my 70 lbs OHP, too...on page 2...got lost in the shuffle. Let's celebrate together!
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    YAY! I announced my 70 lbs OHP, too...on page 2...got lost in the shuffle. Let's celebrate together!

Great job ladies!!!!!!!!! I cant break the 60 lb mark. The closest I got was 65. Just have to keep chugging along!!! WTG!!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It's so great to see so many new ladies here! Welcome to all the new people. :drinker:

I have been sidelined sort of for a couple weeks. I am having some back issues I've been trying to work through and haven't been able to progress as much as I'd like. Especially on my squats. Here are my current weights -

Squats - 105 pounds (was up to 120 but deloaded due to back pain)
    Bench - 90 pounds
    OHP - 75 pounds
    Rows - 85 pounds
    Deads - 115 (was up to 135 but had to voluntarily deload because of back pain)

Great job everyone!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    So I tried OHPs last night for the first time, and what a nightmare! I am SO uncoordinated that I don't know if I'll ever get this down. I keep wanting to push the bar out in front of my face (creating an arc) rather than pushing it straight up and moving my face. After my first set, my DH made me use a 20 lb bar rather than the barbell because my form is so so sucky. Even with that super light weight, I was messing it up. I have a feeling it's going to be a long time till I get this exercise right.

Anyone else have problems like this? Any pointers?
  • siriusalien
    Options
    So I tried OHPs last night for the first time, and what a nightmare! I am SO uncoordinated that I don't know if I'll ever get this down. I keep wanting to push the bar out in front of my face (creating an arc) rather than pushing it straight up and moving my face. After my first set, my DH made me use a 20 lb bar rather than the barbell because my form is so so sucky. Even with that super light weight, I was messing it up. I have a feeling it's going to be a long time till I get this exercise right.

This is BY FAR the toughest lift in 5x5 especially for women. Its ALL schoulders which are so easily neglected in daily life. By all means start slow-form means everything!
    Check out you tube-Mehdi has his own Strong Lifts channel. Great resourse to learn form
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options

This is BY FAR the toughest lift in 5x5 especially for women. Its ALL schoulders which are so easily neglected in daily life. By all means start slow-form means everything!
    Check out you tube-Mehdi has his own Strong Lifts channel. Great resourse to learn form

Thank you! I've watched Mark Rippetoe, but not Mehdi on this exercise.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Rippetoe's videos on lifting are the best. I even watch them while I'm lifting sometimes to remember points he's made about form!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Funny many of you mention Rip, I just revisited some of his vids and totally transformed my bench press! I was really bad at it, but my grip was too narrow and i wasn't squeezing my shoulder blades. Now it's better!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Started week four today...

OHP: 60
    Squat: 90
    Dead: 105

I was doing a happy dance after the OHP. It was really hard and my last rep in the last two sets were sloppy, but it's done. :smile:
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options

That is awesome! Woot woot for both of us! :)
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Good Morning!! NSV today! SOmeone at the gym came up to me today and said "wow, you're strong. Good for you" while I was doing my squats!! ANd the funny thing is, I thought of all my MFPeeps who are sooo much stronger! But yay for the NSV.

Squats: 130 5x5
    Bench 80 5x5
    ROws 75 (deloaded from last week to work on form) 5x5
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm not strictly following 5x5 anymore, but have been working on upping numbers. Squats hit 87.5 kg this morn (one set only, 6 reps). Gonna start doing more 5x5 style workout with everything else again (ohps, bench and row) but mostly enjoying seeing my squats improve :D
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Did the B workout yesterday after work. As I'm struggling with OHP at 55 pounds I noticed the guy behind me was at 45 lbs. on the machines. I thought "I'm lifting heavier than you AND I'm not using a machine. Boom!"

I haven't seen any results in weight or body composition, but I LOVE how strong I feel doing this program!
  • ShutterBugMomof2
    Options
    Hi! I just wanted to say that I am new to the group. With just coming out of surgery on the 5th I am easing back into it. I have recently joined a gym and switched my priorities from Jillian Micheals based workouts to weights. Just now getting back into the swing of this and it may take a few weeks to really get it going but I am excited about this group and look forward to 5x5's with the rest of you all!