10/8 Hatter Chatter. And a challenge

Options
124»

Replies

• cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    made updates and notes on my profile page .....
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    cbm: "Nobody is allowed access to the cake except for me... and Jr since it was his day..

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    6 veggies and 2 fruits, not quite 9 but I am getting there!
    I was thinking about how this is so much a head game and seeing some folks tickers set up for pounds to go, I thought of my own, with a goal of 100 pounds, my ticker shows pounds lost and even though it would be the same if I said 63 pounds lost or 37 pounds to go, it still sounds overwhelming if I think about 37 more pounds! So for me it is more encouraging to think about my success and not how far I still need to go. Do some of you have the opposite thought that focusing on the job ahead is what provides you with positive motivation? In the beginning I could not even put the 100 pounds down on the bottom of the ticker. The top always had pounds lost,but my first goal was 25 lbs. then upped to 50, when I got close to the 50 and stopped being afraid to share my profile, weight and diaries, I was able to list my goal at 100.
    Right now I am starting to get excited at the idea that soon I will be at 209. At 5'10" that is an important weight for me because that is when I will no longer be clinically obese, just overweight. I need to set that aside because when I start to get too focused on the scale it becomes obstinate and stops moving!
    Healthy wishes to all of you hatters, so many of us are coming down with bugs all over the country! And others are getting over surgery, so healthy thoughts are going around the world to all of you!
    Carol, you made way too much food, did you expect the meanies to come and eat a lot? Have fun on the treadmill
    Kobiemom, I am not from Hamden hon, although that is where I bought my purple flamingo and my orange flamingo, I grew up next to Patterson park and shopped at the hefty hideaway from the original hairspray movie (it did have a different name)
    Am I the only hatter with a plastic flamingo in front of their house? If not what is the color of your flamingo?
    Snoozie, how is the night shift going. My dad was a firefighter and I never understood how he functioned working 4 all night shifts then after 2 days off 4 day shifts. My biological clock would be ringing constantly.
    Janet
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Stumbled across a great read

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1kscIw/www.coachcalorie.com/10-baby-steps-towards-better-health-and-fitness/

Kobiemom we completely understand about getting it all jumbled. On days I am super tired I just let it go since I usually can barely read :noway:

For the new ladies welcome :flowerforyou:

Someone ask is it okay to vent, (see Kobiemom I forgot who already :blushing: ) By all means having somewhere safe where there is no judgement but ladies to offer support and sometimes advice. I for one find that most times as I am venting with my ladies I have the most amazing epiphanies so by all means feel free to do the same.

Well the little halo's showed up today some a bit crooked as their horns seemed off center, but all in all it wasn't a bad day. I did have two parent teacher conferences (that someone forgot to tell me about until they come looking for me on my planning hour) but again they went good and the parents were NOT happy about their little angels disrespecting me and I have been assured that will change immediately. To my surprise one of the little angels had a very different attitude arriving for class after the conferences so I am hoping this will be something I see more of from the student.

We have talked about the journey and the mind. hair I completely know what you mean about having to take it in small goals. For me this time it has been so different than anytime in my life. From the beginning while I wasn't comfortable with the ticker showing what I needed to lose I made myself take that step. I have never shared my weight with others. But I was lucky and stumbled into this wonderful group of ladies about a month after beginning this journey and life style change. I think that has given me the courage to step up and share with not only the ladies but also my family in ways I would never have believe possible.

No pink flamingos here except on the Christmas tree. My oldest daughter's online name stated was pink flamingo and about that time they started appearing in the Christmas line !!! Funny but I have been thinking of getting a couple something about retro things I love.

Well after 9 and I have one paper to get done and bed is calling since I never sleep well when the hubby is gone.

Oh had to come back and add I made the 9!!!!!!!!!!!!

The amazing thing about life you choose what you allow in it, you choose how things affect you, you choose how you react. Happiness is a Choice. Make It ..........Its up to YOU !!!!!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Morning Hatters!

A few replies to start off the day –

Kobie.. my “mentlepause” brain sometimes struggles just to remember MY name on occasion, so no worries – we’re all in the same boat! I cheat on occasion and open a word document on the side while I read through the posts since I was last on – only because it takes me a while usually (yep… I know.. I talk a LOT!) and a few times I’ve gotten to the end and hit POST and the stoopid puter crashes and I lose it all (I know Gail can relate to THAT PITA!) :sad:

Re the “flies”… omg… lol growing up, my mom had a thing about “flies” – if we were eating outside and a fly landed on a cup or on food, it was gone.. we had a lot of those little umbrella type things around that go over the food? Anyway, I have the same problem now; I’m ok with wasps and bees and stuff in general, but a fly on food…ugh. So I guess I could eat those cheese slices without worrying, eh? LOL Our nutrition class they had at work spent one on “plastic” food… we always used butter growing up but switched back and forth with margarine as an adult; about 8 years ago I went back to real butter only, would rather have a little of it – anyway the nutritionist used Becel as an example; it’s only one ingredient away from those used to make real plastic.. and if you leave it out in the sun for a week… it’ll turn into it LOL.. but… having said that, keep in mind I fully believe whatever works for each person is just dandy; with cholesterol and weight conerns its sometimes a better choice to go with a marg for some.. and I’m all about whatever works for ya, go for it! Except for the flies… lol think we can ALL agree on that one! :sick:

So glad to hear you’re starting to feel so much better K! I remember you saying I think..(mentlepause moment) your sister had the same procedure, and found her weight journey much improved after? I’ve always been a huge fan of naps (due to the shift work) so listen to your body and let yourself recover all the way; you’ll know when you feel 100% again!

Seehe: I honestly believe sometimes our bodies get comfortable at a certain weight… and just returns to it time after time. and it seems like even if you’re moving heaven and earth to get it past that comfort zone, the frustration can be so huge! I’m starting to really believe in the “whoosh” factor at this point; I went 3 months of trying diligently with calories and exercise and nothing.. now I’ve had some good success the past 3 weeks but I really believe our bodies are NOT linear, and do not necessarily respond to our actions at the time we want it to.. (which is TOTALLY UNFAIR btw lol).

Somewhere I read too it can take 6 weeks for your body to recognize the changes… so hang in there sweetie.. you are doing AWESOME… especially given your struggle with arthritis and metartar (sp?) - it really WILL happen I promise.. but we totally understand frustration.. and absolutely know you can VENT at will in here as the others have said… I think of it like ‘wine therapy” with my g/friends… without the wine, just the whine! There’s something very comforting about being able to vent here and just know that all being women of the same age, we “Get” it.. whether its about life, family, diet, or whatever!! :drinker:

Part of what kept me sane during my drought (and no doubt will again) was the reassurance from the Hatters, and sought after advice from themm and seeing their successes, AND knowing that even tho I wasn’t losing, I was eating more nutritious and healthy for my insides…. And THAT’s something we forget sometimes – we’re aiming for better health along with getting rid of the weight once and for all..so kudos to you my friend for keeping on keeping on!! We'll be here for ya every step of the way!:smile:

Kate – I actually laughed out loud when I read your “four letter word” (snow!) We had the mildest winter on record here last year so we’re all afraid this year is gonna be payback.. so I agree.. every day without is a good one! :laugh:

I understand about the 6am get up as well… it doesn’t work for me personally, I have to be up and moving for a while before I can even think about exercising… and at least a coffee into me before thought is even possible LOL!

And there are several of us here who struggle with any exercise… we know its an important part of our journey, but it’s never been a part of our lives or habit so we struggle…. Small changes lead to big results so we try to do small, attainable goals in moving every day in some way.. T2 has tackled her stairs at work awesomely, I was aiming for walking 30 min a day every day but have admittedly fallen off the wagon.. legit for a week while my neck thing was going on, but ever since am struggling to get back into the routine of at least walking every day. Maybe you could find something that works for you… even a 10 minute gig to start off… I don’t know if you have access to a gym, or what you enjoy (if anything lol.. I admit I don’t like any of it!) but lots enjoy DVD’s at home,…. Can you get out for a walk? Or maybe do a few times up and down the stairs every day.. small changes.. ? or baby steps as TA’s blog wrote about (nice to know we are right on track with our small changes theory, eh ladies??)

Gotta refill my coffee cup; will be back to finish off the rest of the replies :o)
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    chedk out my profile page - "one step at a time"....:happy:

now, just need to make it happen - smile - we've got this!:glasses: :laugh: :wink:

Carol
  • Snooozie
    Options
    sorry peeps.. puter slowed down and I had to reboot.. but I got a load of laundry in and packed everything I have to take to the dinner tomorrow in one area to drag down to the car in the morning - people are still calling for tickets the day BEFORE.. ARGGGH lol.. while we WANT bodies in the chairs, we've had to give in the meal numbers already; there's a built in plus/minus for shows/dont shows but still.. you HAD to wait til the day before.. we've only been hounding you for 2 months ... BOYS!! oh well, important thing is that the retirees get a good turnout, so I will smile (albeit thru a clenched jaw now and then!) and cheerfully say "of course, we'd love to have you attend"! :laugh:

Now to finish my response b4 I have to get back at the chores:

TA: so GLAD to hear about the "attitude adjustment" of a few (and their parents.. kudos to them!) And IPOU to you for getting in the 9 veg/fruit!! Woo hoo... !!!! I don't think I made it to the full nine, but pretty close... funny how with this challenge every time I go to eat I think hmm how can I work a veggie in there! Only 1 more sleep til Hubby lands - yay! (p.s. read the blog re baby steps.. love it...! And i love that you felt comfortable enough with us and your family to start sharing..... shows how far you've come within yourself my friend!!

Janet (Hairprayhon) For me personally, the ultimate goal is still too far away to post "pounds to go" - I think I need the motivation of seeing what I've succeeded in doing to keep me motivated and on track as well.. that may change when I get closer and the number TO GO is less than the number LOST.. lol

Every time I see your ticker I am amazed and impressed at how much you have lost - you and the others are truly an inspiration to me every day! and I TOTALLY get that magic number you are aiming for... the first time my doc told me i was in the "obese" category I refused to agree... and kept right on as i was going... sigh... it's weird how a "name" or a "category" can influence us in some ways.. some good, some bad.. (like the "skinny fat" I keep seeing.. took me a while to figure that one out!) But I have no doubt you will get there as soon as your body adjusts to the huge amount you've already lost, and gets ready to reward your continued hard work... we understand the frustration too so feel free to vent anytime you need to; can't wait to see the day you post it either now!

Need to feed; be back in a bit!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    PS: Janet re the shifts... I have actually always loved working shifts (good thing I suppose since I've been doing it for over 30 yrs lol) and I'm NOT a straight days lover... but the last few years I find just midnights really tough; think it's a cross between getting older in general and menopause; not sleeping well anytime anymore, add in the hot flashes and mood swings, and the physical toll is takes on your body turning around from each shift to the other. and that you're a write off the first day off (you always lose a couple of your days off just getting switched around (as you know from your dad) and these days, I try to use my vacation or overtime hours to take them ALL off if I can, or a couple at the beginning or the end so there's not as long a run (we do 7 on, 5 off as opposed to your dad's 4/4 - our firefighters do the same here and I don't know how they do the quick change either! And I took the first three off this week, so I don't go in til tomorrow night.. right after the retirement dinner ends :sad: On the plus side, I only have to do 4 this time.. yay!

cbm: im not real good at the puter stuff; I went to your profile.....i don't seesomething about baby steps.. I read the column on the left too... but didnt see anything there either.. am i looking in the wrong place? (I just discovered from T2 the other day that you could change the profile stuff on the left and add to it duh.... hence why im thinking to look there on yours? Help!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    thanks for the guidance cbm... got there in the end .. LOL I'm so not puter literate!:embarassed:
  • cbmcphillips
    Options
    good morning....

snoozie - saw you on the lake yesterday - and no geese! "smile"

hairspray - saw you in the weight room - doing your own "body pump"....

merobi - you were there too.. riding your bike... "and no bridges".....

had the mad hatter song list playing.....

see you all soon.....
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good Morning my dear Hatter friends,

These last two weeks have been a real PITA. Today, I am finally feeling a little better. Rick is doing much better and thankfully Cassie and Derek are doing fine. I have been MIA from posting but have tried to read and keep up with all of you. I have 4 more days of steroids and then hopefully can be a little more normal. I don't recall ever having a steroid shot before or taking additional steroid pills ( hell, I can't remember the last time I was this sick)!

An update on my stepson: his surgery went well yesterday. His spleen was the size of a small watermelon but they were able to remove it and some enlarged lymphnodes. They are doing a biopsy on all so we may have some answers soon. His new Mito Dr. wants Ray's parents (my Rick and his ex) to have some saliva swabs done to further test the genetics of his disease. This is so encouraging. It seems like we may be getting some good things happening.

On the home front: We will be getting one (maybe two) puppies in a few weeks. After Zeke passed I really thought I didn't want another dog. Well, not so much anymore. I have been missing that special bond and Cassie has really been wanting another dog. I just have to decide if I want one to myself or can I just share hers. The puppies are Mastiff and a mix most likely pitbull/lab. That will mean big and strong and they will need to go for long walks...more exercise for me!

I thank all of you for listening to the ramblings of a steroidal woman:laugh:

Have a great day my friends
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hi, Hatter girls , I hope this finds you feeling well. ( and this is for all the members, not just those who like to post….)

Seems like such a long week already with one more day to go….ugh… oh well, the weather is lovely…leaves dropping like those flies after 3 days…. ; )
    Tonya, I’m glad you and Rick are on the mend. ….. I pray everything is going to work in your stepson’s favor..I don’t know much about that diagnosis, but a bit of extra prayer is good no matter where it comes from…. Can’t wait to see if you get the new pup for both of you or one a piece…. How much house do you have?~~~`giggles~~` I can just see that big Mastiff puppy walking YOU!!

Janet, I finally ate my apple yesterday…I had gotten it to start adding up for my fruits and veggies..and had carried it around for a few days…A granny smith, so it could handle it… It was so good. I still felt I needed to sprinkle salt on it…Is that just a southern thing..Does anyone else sprinkle salt on apples or watermelon…? I know the salt isn’t good for you, but it really kicks the fruit up a notch.. I would love some really good looking flamingo’s…not the dime store brand…maybe about 10 , so it really looks like a flock of them..

Kate, I can’t relate to the snow…down here ,when we get 1 inch…everything closes…. These idiots can’t drive in the rain much less the snow… They think it means speed up!!

Patrice , good luck on your 2 a days…. I see you are doing well with it!! Are there any ducks in the pond?

Kobi, I hope you are healing well and getting ready to get back into it…I know it is killer sitting around waiting to get back into it…...I got burned trying to put out a grease fire in my home about 2 years ago and burned my hands and feet with the spilt grease… ( don’t even ask…just don’t try to warm up grease and take a nap at the same time…)

Seehe, the Metatarsalgia - Ball of the Foot Pain sounds so painful and the arthritis on top…… hoping you find comfort… soon.

Tammy, thanks again for the recipes..I spread them around at work…I still have to buy the ingredients for Merobie’s muffins, so I’ll look for the mix..was it bourbon??…something yummy anyway…… Can’t wait to try it. . I don’t miss those student /teacher meetings..I have a hard headed son, and he would stay up late watching tv after I went to bed and sleep during class. Boys!

Speaking of my son, Thank you my friends for your encouragement during my turbulent time with my son…All is going to be well..

Having said all that, I think I may make it close to my goal weight loss I hoped for, .I just weighed and it’s looking promising…I vented to Snooozie this morning, about gaining, but as many times as I went to the water shed today …I actually have lost! Still holding off to EOM to log in my number…

If I missed anyone, I am sorry…

You already feel like you need to take a nap while reading this..I know………
    But what is a 123 Mug cake and can I have the recipe…I have a general idea of it..but not the exacts….

Hope we all reach our fruits and veggies goal

Thanks, for listening….
    G
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Time2: The seasoning was Mccormick Gourmet - Bourbon Spiced Pork Seasoning Mix, 1 container and as I said you can pretty much adjust the sweet potatoes and apples to however many you need.

Well I have a bit of work to do and I want to go to bed early tonight. I don't sleep well when the husband is away and that has me dragging. Hope everyone has a Great Friday !!!

If it is to be, it's up to ME !!!
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    "Does anyone else sprinkle salt on apples or watermelon"

Never tried salt on fruit, but have you ever tried cinnamon on apple slices? It's not only delicious, but nutritious!
  • PatriceMG
    PatriceMG Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Happy evening to all the Hatters! Thanks Time2! JD2 is a motivational exercise site on FB. In the 30+ days I've been a part of it I have logged almost 100 miles walking! It is great to keep track for motivation! It is very encouraging. I need to get back to my couch to 5K. I'm gonna sign up for a Dirty Girls mud run in San Francisco on Feb 2. My second 5k. Never thought I'd say that! Gonna do it with my sister, my niece, and a couple of friends. I think it's gonna be fun!
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have seen some Mfp pictures of mud runs but I have never heard of them before. Patrice I hope you post a picture of you and your group in all your post race glory!
    Not practicing what I preach, I am out of apples and I want to wait for the local farmers market tomorrow, so much better than the grocery store. So yesterday I was not even close to 9 fruits and veggies-how is everyone else doing- TA has been a good example to all of us! Although I do get the feeling that some days she would rather throw the veggies at some of her little angels!
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ok just so everyone knows, I fell off the face of the earth for a while. It has been a long hard climb back up. But I am almost to the top. So before long I will be back on here more than you can handle. LOL Just have been real busy. I have missed so much, I am going to have a lot of reading to catch up on.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Morning Hatters,

Just home from work, heading for some groceries myself Janet - then bed. Having trouble with my diary entries on nites; I am up and down sleep wise; today I woke up at 11am, back to sleep til 2, up for an hour, back to sleep til 5, back at 7 for another hour.. I tend to eat small amounts here and there on this shift and because I start eating around 8pm thru til 4am it splits it into 2 days, and occasionally between wake ups I'll grab something.. well the diary is gonna be all over the place; but I'll just log everything somewhere lol. Miss seeing what everyone is up to tho; apologies for not being able to comment as much for this week tho!

Time2: as kids, we always sprinkled salt on green apples only (I have no idea why); haven't done it for years tho. Hope you're having a nice weekend away, and so happy for ya on the goal!

Tonya: glad youre starting to feel more human; will keep fingers crossed re the med tests results for your s/s; and I'm TOTALLY jealous of the pup (or puppies!!) I have missed having a doggie so much, but am hoping if I can move to a townhouse from the condo I can finally get one, and its gonna be a lab!

Patrice - never heard of a mud run LOL.. but I hadn't heard of Bis' color run either.. so I'm learning something new every day! Kudos on doing it and as Janet said would love to see pics

TA - hope hubby is home and you have a great weekend!

Cheryl great to have you back!

Seehe lovely veg and fruit choices yesterday!

Marywish how are things in your world?

Know I've missed a few, but gotta hit the grocery store then get home to bed! Have a great weekend Hatters!
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Nice and cool her this lovely fall morning. Enjoyed a bit of peace and quiet with the morning coffee while I graded papers. Next up, did a bit of closet cleaning. javascript:add_smiley('noway','post_body')

I really think I need to get rid more !!! I saw a suggestion somewhere saying with the New Year to turn the hangers backwards in your closest then as you wear things turn the hangers back around. At six months evaluate the hangers that have not been turned, are they really something you need to hang on to? I am thinking I really need to do this with the huband's closet. I cleaned out so much and I am sure there are things he still will not wear:indifferent: I have eliminated a lot from my closet but have a feeling I am hanging on to a few things for the wrong reasons so maybe I should do my closet also. Of course I don't have as many subsets of clothing as the husband.

I have never heard of a mud run either but assume that its similar to a mud race that we have here except instead of being vehicles its human bodies doing the race. This is sooooooo not me since I can't stand to sweat and I hate getting dirty :embarassed:

Seehe: I have eaten salt on apples, oranges, peaches, pears, watermelon, cantaloupe, plums, and who knows what else (including many other foods other than fruits) in the past. Snoozie the salt is usually added to less sweet fruits to bring out the natural sweetness of the fruits. Now that I have be eating healthier I have been able to slow stop adding salt to not just fruits but also other foods. Many things I have eaten in the past and added salt to I often find to salty now.

My husband and I have chatted about how our taste buds have changed. Things that we use to eat and enjoy we often find not nearly as appealing.

What it takes to Change: Dedication, Concentration, Evaluation, Cooperation, Affirmation, Motivation. It is time for a self intervention on ME !!! Keep pursuing your goals on step at a time !!! Now back to grading for me