NROL4ABS

samntha14
samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
Who else out there is doing ABS after finishing NROL4W?
I love ABS and want to discuss it others.

My first question of others is how are resetting during the 10 sec elevated planks. and what plank progression have you tried so far. I did one foot elevated last night and only last 30 sec each side. I also did arm extended for the side plans for the full 30 sec each side.

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Hi! I'm doing NROLFAbs right now-stage 2, A3 today. I love it! I did the elevated planks with feet on bench-10 sec. up then lower one knee to floor for a few sec. and lift up for another 10 sec. I used to alt. the knee touching the floor. The side plank the same way, but instead of knee down it was hip down. I have done the elevated plank with one foot on bench and side planks with arm extended. Some times when I don't feel like going down every 10 sec. I do planks with feet on bench and arms( or should I say elbows) on SB for as long as I can hold.

Where are you in the program?
  • heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    I am reading NROL4abs now and am about to begin stage 7 of NROL4W. I should start abs in about two weeks.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    So I'm still in stage 1 of NROL4W, does the whole program not give good ab results? So much so that you need to do this program after to get good ab results??
  • heatheralia
    heatheralia Posts: 79 Member
    Em - I definitely wouldn't say that NROL4W doesn't give good ab results; I am seeing positive changes in mine. I am just looking at "where to go to from here" and thought that it would be a great next step since I love lifting.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    I'm considering ABS after I finish this program -- hopefully that will some time after the first of the year. I'm kind of dragging out my Stages 4 & 5 by adding a few extra workouts so I can do Stage 6 between Thanksgiving and Christmas when my calorie level will be elevated a bit. I'm hoping that will help me add a little muscle mass. Then I'd like to time Stage 7 after New Year's to cut some body fat. After that, I'm debating NROL4ABS or Strong Lifts or NROL for Life. There's also a new NROL that is coming out in December.

I really like the variety of the NROL plans with the stages and alternating workouts. It keeps me from getting bored -- which is my fear with Strong Lifts. I'm not into doing primarily ab stuff, although I like the compound-type lifting in NROLW. Unfortunately, after being morbidly obese, I'm never going to have showcase abs without a tummy tuck to take care of loose skin, so I'm just not motivated to do endless planks and crunches.

I hope you start a regular NROL4ABs topic so I can read your posts and try to decide what to do after Stage 7. I'm very interested in hearing about others' experiences with any of the different NROL plans.
  • deninevi
    So I'm still in stage 1 of NROL4W, does the whole program not give good ab results? So much so that you need to do this program after to get good ab results??

I did NROLFW and I had great results! I'm doing NROLFAbs because I like the way the program is set and not because of my abs. I'm half way through stage 2 and feel my abs working, but also feel my butt and thighs working too, my arms and shoulders and in between. I don't see this program as being just Abs.
  • deninevi
    I am reading NROL4abs now and am about to begin stage 7 of NROL4W. I should start abs in about two weeks.

Good luck with stage 7! Almost done! YAY!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,919 Member
    I think you already know this from the 'daily chat' thread, but I was doing the elevated planks as follows:

1. 3 sets of 35 secs elevated front planks; followed by
    2. 3 sets of 20 secs elevated side planks

I didn't like all the "re-setting" because I'm very time-constrained. I did find that the front planks I could get through with relative ease. The side planks, not so much...my hip was pretty cave-y by that 3rd set.
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    ahhhh I miss conversing with yall:frown:

I'll start the program back the first of the year or sooner if I can't finish Insanity.

I did the same as Beeps. She is much more eloquent than me ( so glad she chimed in )
  • samntha14
    thanks ladies, I'm almost done with phase 1. I moved on to ABS just to do something new and to build my core strength. I was told that ABS was more geared to fat burning than strength building and thought I'd give it a try to clean up what's left. I had fabulous results from NROL4W and this was just the next phase.
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    hiya, im reading more and more about the nrolfabs book and think that will be my next step after nrolfw, im only on stage 1 but enjoying it so much :)

can i ask a few questions please ??

- are the workouts set out like nrolfw ???
    - how long does it take to complete the book ??
    - how long does each workout take ??
    - any examples you can share with me of the types of things you do in the workouts ??

sorry for all the Q's lol.......thanks very much..xxx
  • deninevi
    hiya, im reading more and more about the nrolfabs book and think that will be my next step after nrolfw, im only on stage 1 but enjoying it so much :)

- any examples you can share with me of the types of things you do in the workouts ??

Hi!
    The workouts in NROLFAbs are set like this:
    Stage 1: You alt. between AB WOs for 6-8 WOs each.
    1. Warm up-takes about 10 min.
    2.Abs-2-3 exercises in this section-plank, side plank, some cables and so on.
    3. Strength-push ups, squats and so on.
    Stage 2 is set like stage 1, but there is Metabolic Training-do burpees-6-10 or KB swings-10-12 reps on the minute, after the strength part.And again you alt. between AB for 6-8 WOs each.
    Stage 3 has warm up, core, power-like med. ball slams, jump squats and so on. , strength -in this part you do as many sets as you can in 10min. alt. between 2 exercises and metabolic-here you do ladders . Again alt. between AB WOs 6-8 times each.
    Each stage should take 4 to 6 weeks to finish.
    I'm in stage 2 right now. It took me 50-60 min. to finish WOs in stage 1. It takes me 70-80 min. to finish WOs in stage 2. I don't know about stage 3, but with the added POwer it may take longer than stage 2.
    I'll be doing stage 2 WOB tomorrow and it looks like this:

Warm up:
    Bent-Over Thoracic Extension and Rotation-10 reps. R&L
    Squat to Stand-5 reps
    Forward/Backward jump-10 each
    Crossover Toe Touch-10-20 yards
    Lateral Jump-10 each
    Lateral Cross Behind Lunge-10-20 yards each
    Seal Jack-10 reps.
    Reverse inchworm-5 reps
    Forward-Backward Hop-10 each, R&L
    Curtsy Lunge-10 each
    Straight-Leg Run-10-20 yards
    Side Shuffle with Arm Cross-10-20 yards
    Butt Kicks-10-20 yards

Core: 1 set, 10-12 reps, 60-90 sec. rest
    1. Front Plank and Pulldown
    2. Side Plank and Row
    3. SB Jackknife
    4. Cable Kneeling Cross-Body Lift

Strength:
    3-4 sets., 8 reps, 60-90 sec. rest
    1a.DB Step-up
    1b.DB 1-Arm Push Press
    2 sets, 8 reps, 60-90 sec. rest. Alt. load/grip on second set
    2a. DB Offloaded Front Squat
    2b. Mixed-grip Chin-up/Latt Pulldown on knees

Metabolic:
    10-12 KB swings on the min.

Stretch

Done!!!HTH!:)
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,919 Member

deni has set it out in very great detail!

here is my simplistic response:

1. I do find the workouts quite similar to NROL4W, with the very BIG exception that you do ab-work at the START of the work-out (rather than the end);
    2. If you lift 3 x per week, and you are only going to do the A/B work-outs 6 times each (it's optional to do them 8 x each), you should be done NROL4Abs in 3 months.
    3. I can do each work-out in 60 minutes, including the dynamic warm-up and some stretching at the end. (I have only done Phase 1 and Phase 2 - I'm not sure how long Phase 3 work-outs will take - yet!)
    4. denine gave some very good examples.

If you liked NROL4W, I think you will *love* NROL4Abs!
  • manic4titans
    I enjoyed the different lifts and variations of the planks! Getting excited to get back in the gym!!!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Hmmmm... it sounds challenging. I may go for it after Stage 7. Thanks for all the information!
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    thanks for the replies...it certainly seems like a great plan to follow up with...i think an hour is ok for me time wise, to be honest when working out at home any longer than that my mind starts wandering to what needs doing and i get bored lol......but these workouts do seem to keep the mind sharp and focussed.

the workout sounds great, just need to get through this book first and i can get the book, am thinking i'll be done with this about jan/feb......

thanks..x
  • samntha14
    I like the shorter workouts. I can do phase 1 workouts in bout 45 minutes. I think I need to start doing intervals at the end for the other 15-20.
  • deninevi
    Halfway done with stage 2! How is everyone doing?
  • manic4titans
    coming back very soon.

The plan was to start out today but the day keeps getting longer and I am getting grumpier. Looked at the calendar and my "friend" will be here in 6-8 days. My knees are really hurting today from the Insanity work outs. I am glad I stopped when i did. I probably just take this week off to let my knees recover. (((sigh)))
  • samntha14
    I'm heading back to the gym today!!