Pof good deed of the day

Options

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It's so weird how height is such a deal breaker for women. I'm 5'11" but still.. it's interesting.

J

That is why I stopped the on line stuff for a bit (that and I don't think I was really ready to date)

This great guy or gal could be on the other side reading your profile. A misspelled word, or wrong angle on the picture, makes you or him click............next. That same person at a party with a huge smile and great sense of humor would give me chills down my spine.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It's so weird how height is such a deal breaker for women. I'm 5'11" but still.. it's interesting.
    I was thinking that height is as big a factor for women as breast size is for men. Why don't they have that data on the basic info?
    I nearly clicked on 'report post' then!!! :noway:
    Anyway David, I'm reporting you for being breastest!!! :smokin:
    Actually, perhaps there should be penis size data too!!!! :laugh: :tongue: :wink:
    And this ladies is why we send pics of our beautiful penis to you! So that you know the size of the beast beforehand.
    (You won't see me call it junk!)

I must be really weird. I would DIE if some guy sent me a picture of his penis. Die I tell you!!

Size is no issue for me. Then again I have only been with one man for 30 years, and was very satisfied in this department. So I guess I could have some surprises in store for me in the future :laugh:
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options

J

That is why I stopped the on line stuff for a bit (that and I don't think I was really ready to date)

This great guy or gal could be on the other side reading your profile. A misspelled word, or wrong angle on the picture, makes you or him click............next. That same person at a party with a huge smile and great sense of humor would give me chills down my spine.

I'm not online for a number of reasons, but this definitely describes one. This sucks, but I ignored a message from a guy who was 5'5 (my height) for no reason other than height and I really don't have a height criteria in real life (currently crush on a guy who is shorter than I am).

I got sucked into the simulacrum. Trying to weed through the inbox made me dismiss people I would have followed down the aisle at the grocery.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    This thread makes my head hurt.

I am 6'1 so I win when it comes to height.

I find it very ironic though, that women seem to be very emotional about men

having preferences and being "judgmental" yet they can automatically

disregard another male due to something he cannot control, height.

It's quite simple Zach, women feel overly large/unfeminine/unprotected when they're with a guy shorter or punier than themselves.

It's genetics - the male is usually taller/stronger?

A bit like men liking boobs............we dont have control over those either......

Not quite sure why you're starting a gender war over that one??? But anyhow....... :flowerforyou:

Anna, I understand that women want to be with a taller man. It makes the woman feel more protected, small, etc etc. Women can openly say that and most men will accept it, keep their mouths shut, and move on. And as a man of medium height (5'10"), I'm sure I've been descriminated against and I'm OK with it. I don't feel entitled that every woman should want a man my height. If they will only date someone 6'2" and taller, then so be it.

However, what happens when the tables are turned? Men who say that they don't want to be with an overweight woman and would rather be with a petite one. Men can have the argument that they want to feel more masculine and more of a "protector" with a woman who's 5'2" 105lbs. And it's a very legit argument at that.

Are women suppose to just roll with it and accept it?
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    This is not to start an argument but just something that needles me and makes me curious
    It is 2012 and reasonable people can make sensible decisions about the areas they frequent so my question is...protected from what???
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    However, what happens when the tables are turned? Men who say that they don't want to be with an overweight woman and would rather be with a petite one. Men can have the argument that they want to feel more masculine and more of a "protector" with a woman who's 5'2" 105lbs. And it's a very legit argument at that.

If it's true for many men (and I believe it is, though many in this forum disagree with me) then I absolutely think women should accept it.

Just like short men accept that they will sometimes need to compensate for their height by developing a winning, charming personality. And just like women of color often accept that, depending on your ethnicity, a large portion of the population you desire (even within your own culture) is not as interested in you as they would be a white, asian, or latina woman of similar personality and stature.

Accepting these two facts as being true for many of the type of guys I wanted helped me be more content with being single. This increased my confidence because I finally learned it wasn't "me" as much as it was "them," and also motivated me to lose weight.

I think both of these (increased confidence and lower weight) helped me attract better men. I can't change my race, so yeah I still get sad sometimes when the guys lose interest when they find out I'm not latina after all, but I accept it and move on without letting it get me down for too long.

FWIW, I’ve seen men in Match write in their profile they want someone smaller than them. I don’t hate; rather I am glad they kept me from wasting my time.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    This is not to start an argument but just something that needles me and makes me curious
    It is 2012 and reasonable people can make sensible decisions about the areas they frequent so my question is...protected from what???

Protected from a lot! Protected from thugs walking to your car from downtown Shreveport entertainment venues. Yes, the cops told all us ladies during our in-processing brief not to go downtown alone- nevermind the fact that there's only a little bit of downtown where you can hang out on the weekends.

Protected from jerk waiters who make snide comments about me not drinking (this never happens when I have a big, tall man at my side).

And, of course, there's just that innate craving for that feeling of "big strong man will protect and provide for me" a woman loves to get from a man- just like men, crave that nurturing warmth and coddling that we ladies provide. Just cause neither sex needs that anymore per se, doesn't mean we don't still crave it in our subconscious.
  • Carl01
    Options

Protected from a lot! Protected from thugs walking to your car from downtown Shreveport entertainment venues. Yes, the cops told all us ladies during our in-processing brief not to go downtown alone- nevermind the fact that there's only a little bit of downtown where you can hang out on the weekends.

Protected from jerk waiters who make snide comments about me not drinking (this never happens when I have a big, tall man at my side).

And, of course, there's just that innate craving for that feeling of "big strong man will protect and provide for me" a woman loves to get from a man- just like men, crave that nurturing warmth and coddling that we ladies provide. Just cause neither sex needs that anymore per se, doesn't mean we don't still crave it in our subconscious.

Guess it is a cultural/regional difference because where I am there is neither A or B.
    The first is obvious being out in the middle of nothing and the second,given that,I can`t imagine a waiter maligning a female customer or one taking it quietly.:laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    This thread makes my head hurt.

I am 6'1 so I win when it comes to height.

I find it very ironic though, that women seem to be very emotional about men

having preferences and being "judgmental" yet they can automatically

disregard another male due to something he cannot control, height.

It's quite simple Zach, women feel overly large/unfeminine/unprotected when they're with a guy shorter or punier than themselves.

It's genetics - the male is usually taller/stronger?

A bit like men liking boobs............we dont have control over those either......

Not quite sure why you're starting a gender war over that one??? But anyhow....... :flowerforyou:

Anna, I understand that women want to be with a taller man. It makes the woman feel more protected, small, etc etc. Women can openly say that and most men will accept it, keep their mouths shut, and move on. And as a man of medium height (5'10"), I'm sure I've been descriminated against and I'm OK with it. I don't feel entitled that every woman should want a man my height. If they will only date someone 6'2" and taller, then so be it.

Yeah. We accept our lot in life :laugh: I'm under 5ft tall !!! And Florian hates short women.....I'm gutted and never been so offended in all my life!! :laugh: j/k I really dont care!!

I never have issue with the height of men either - I feel small and feminine and protected all the time - lucky me! :wink: It's usually taller ladies that have a height preference in men.

And as we've said before, if you prefer stick thin women, then good for you. Your choice. :flowerforyou:
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Guess it is a cultural/regional difference because where I am there is neither A or B.
    The first is obvious being out in the middle of nothing and the second,given that,I can`t imagine a waiter maligning a female customer or one taking it quietly.:laugh:

Yeah, but you're also the guy who pays for a girl's friend when the 3 of you go out...lol... I've never seen anyone else do that. Must be something in your water. Whatever it is, keep drinking it. :wink:

I've had waiters be snotty to me quite often. Two most recent ones were "why are you ordering cranberry juice? You got a UTI or something?" or, "Soda? What's wrong with you? Why don't you go somewhere else. This is a brewery." I'm usually on travel visiting a new place with coworkers who are drinking when these things happen. Only once has anyone ever stood up for me “She’s the driver, get off her case.” Usually they all turn their heads like they're uncomfortable while I just say that I'm the DD. Apparently here in the south, people don't respect DDs the way they do back east.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

That's a good question Carl, and I've been thinking hard on it for 10 mins now.......

ERmmm, I actually think its more symbolic than practical. But it's a strength thing too. It's not like we think we're going to get eaten by a pack of hyena's and you have to get your rifle out or something..........

I think its more to do with having an arm to hold on to if we trip up in our heels..........lol

Nah, not that either.......

I dont really know. All I know is that when my last b/f walked along the road side of the street and put his arm around me, I felt great! :love: If a car came along, I'd probably dive in front of him to protect HIM, so it wasn't that he would die for me, but maybe just that he was prepared to?? I dunno.

Something else I love about that guy - he would just support me in everything. Never let anyone say anything bad about me. Stick up for me. Watch my back..............all that kinda stuff comes under the banner of 'protector'. Women do it for men too, perhaps just in a less 'muscular' way?
  • JanieJack
    Options

Guess it just depends on where you live. Since I’ve started dating BB I’m able to go a lot of places I wouldn’t have gone before- he’s a tall, big dude and we’ll walk through town places where other guys were afraid to walk with me. One time I expressed my hesitation to walk back to our car and he reminded me that he’s never once in his life had someone come up to him and start messing with him. I have.
  • Carl01
    Options

Yeah, but you're also the guy who pays for a girl's friend when the 3 of you go out...lol... I've never seen anyone else do that. Must be something in your water. Whatever it is, keep drinking it. :wink:

I've had waiters be snotty to me quite often. Two most recent ones were "why are you ordering cranberry juice? You got a UTI or something?" or, "Soda? What's wrong with you? Why don't you go somewhere else. This is a brewery." I'm usually on travel visiting a new place with coworkers who are drinking when these things happen. Only once has anyone ever stood up for me “She’s the driver, get off her case.” Usually they all turn their heads like they're uncomfortable while I just say that I'm the DD. Apparently here in the south, people don't respect DDs the way they do back east.

:noway:

Those are fireable offenses...please don`t take that from anyone. :flowerforyou:
  • JanieJack
    Options
    That's a good question Carl, and I've been thinking hard on it for 10 mins now.......

ERmmm, I actually think its more symbolic than practical
    Ok, last one and then I’m getting back to work… I’ll be honest… for me it’s not as much about feeling “protected” as it is about feeling sexy and feminine. It’s harder for me to feel sexy when hugging a man feels like hugging my son. For me it just kills the libido, and I’m no longer attracted to him “that way.”

I’ve yet to meet an average height/size man who can wrap his arm all the way around me. When we hug, I feel fat and ugly, like it’s a reminder of my dad and my ex constantly telling me I’m too fat. Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog. But when BB wraps his arm around me, it goes all the way around. And I feel normal, desirable. Yummy. Kudos to you women who can feel sexy and desirable around any size man. I guess I still need the illusion that I’m not really wearing Lane Bryant jeans, lol. I’ll get there one day.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

Those are fireable offenses...please don`t take that from anyone. :flowerforyou:

Agreed!!! :noway: You'd never get that treatment here!! Besides, soft drinks cost about the same in some pubs, just for that reason!!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Tigers. I need a man who can wrestle escaped zoo animals.
  • JanieJack
    Options

Carl, that kind of thing happens all the time. Sometimes I think it's race (now that I"m stationed in the south) but sometimes I wonder if there's some big target on my head that says "come mess with me! I'll be too shocked to do anything until long after you've walked away." There's no sense in trying to address it. When I do, they always find some reason to say that I overrreacted or misunderstood, and the establishment never takes my side. It's just a fact of life. I'll have to send you a link to my "black girl in the south" blog posts about my adapting to life down here. It's the weirdest thing.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    When we hug, I feel fat and ugly, like it’s a reminder of my dad and my ex constantly telling me I’m too fat. Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Guys need to note how damaging their comments can be!!! :grumble:

Not that women can't be equally damaging to men - just saying!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Oh good, I'm glad that we're back to making sweeping generalizations based on sex.

1) Some women will completely discount a guy based on height because they aren't attracted to it.
    2) Some women will willing look past that because other factors take precedence (Tom Cruise, anyone?)
    3) Some women will be offended that you don't like them because they're overweight.
    4) Some women will acknowledge that you don't like them because they're overweight and while they might be disappointed they accept that it's only fair because everyone is discerning about something.

And yet there are still several guys on here that assume all four of those are the same woman, therefore women are hypocrites that deserve to be mocked. The reason women are so "confusing" and "illogical" is because you keep insisting on thinking of women as a singular group with a singular, conflicting mentality. Ladies that insist on doing this to the male gender, the same goes for you.

Yes, there are some people that are generally hypocrites, and they are frustrating as hell. How about we stop assuming that about everyone? I know it's easy to paint things with broad brush strokes, but you lose sight of the picture when you do that.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

Interesting. I order cranberry juice with lime OR water with lemon ALL the time and I've never had that question asked of me. I would not take to it very kindly if asked something so personal and rude, either. If a bartender give me "a look" (especially when ordering water) I hold up my hands as if I have a steering wheel in it, and move my hands like I'm driving. Usually after that pantomime they don't give me the "Dammit I Won't Get Lots Of Tips From You" face......