Pof good deed of the day

Options

Replies

• SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    This thread makes my head hurt.

I am 6'1 so I win when it comes to height.

I find it very ironic though, that women seem to be very emotional about men

having preferences and being "judgmental" yet they can automatically

disregard another male due to something he cannot control, height.

It's ok. Girls confuse me too :) That's why boys rock
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    You gots to be taller than your lady, otherwise its just weird. At just under 6ft, i've only had one Gf that was as tall as me, was weird as hell and I wouldnt do it again, specially cause she loved wearing heels.

I dont care about breast size either, I just care that you let me see them.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I've had waiters be snotty to me quite often. Two most recent ones were "why are you ordering cranberry juice? You got a UTI or something?" or, "Soda? What's wrong with you? Why don't you go somewhere else. This is a brewery." I'm usually on travel visiting a new place with coworkers who are drinking when these things happen. Only once has anyone ever stood up for me “She’s the driver, get off her case.” Usually they all turn their heads like they're uncomfortable while I just say that I'm the DD. Apparently here in the south, people don't respect DDs the way they do back east.

Wow that is rude. Back at school, I would DD all the time and I never had any problems like that
    And I feel normal, desirable. Yummy. Kudos to you women who can feel sexy and desirable around any size man. I guess I still need the illusion that I’m not really wearing Lane Bryant jeans, lol. I’ll get there one day.

I know exactly what you mean. Many women are fine with it, but I want to feel just like you described, Janie.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Well, at 5'2" I already feel child-sized. I wear heels because I like them and they're sexy. I can't do that if a man is under 5'6". I also like a man's arms....it's the protection thing. Call it caveman-esque, but I like to have a man that I know will protect me if needed. Even if it's just holding me during a scary movie.

And, no. I don't see a problem with a man saying he won't date a woman because of her size. I've had men that wouldn't date me because I was too short, and some because I was too small. Everyone has their own personal preference.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    In my profile I have a "I have a soft spot for" and one of the things on there is that I prefer taller guys as I'm 5'8 and enjoy wearing tall heels.
    That's why he wrote to me "I match all the criteria, message me". Well seeing that I have the tall issue on there, I decided to write him and let him know that he didn't meet the criteria, either he ignored the first one or he didn't ready profile or he didn't care.

That's why I decided to write him back and mention it.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    @ Mike...yup..if a man feels better with a petite woman that weighs 105 lbs.. Hey..best of luck to them! I am not offended. Plenty of fish in the sea...
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    To all the shorter guys out there.. don't worry, there is a Snooki for you somewhere.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Oh height. It is my one big hypocritical dealbreaker.
    At just over 5'7 and not a little petite thing..I simply long to feel feminine and cute. I simply don't ever get that with anyone under 5'9. So...I could be attracted to someone shorter..but I automatically think we are not going to be a good match based on size and height...and I assume the male in question generally feels the same... no hurt feelings about it.
    Most of the men I have dated have been 5'11-6'4... and generally the taller and heavier/more built ones like me best as they "can't break me".

So tell me boys...does breast size somehow correlate to your own personal sense of masculinity or is it just a nice to have item..?

All of this (except the dating-history part, obviously!). I'm just under 5'8" in my bare feet, and not built on petite lines, by any stretch. I often wear heels. The idea of femininity that we have adopted in the West pretty much insists that the woman be the physically-smaller of a partnership, ergo women are conditioned to want men taller than they are (and men to want women shorter than themselves, it generally seems - my younger sister's just under 6', and often finds that shorter men don't want to date her, for that very reason). I'm pretty feminine in many other ways, but I can't alter my height or fundamental build to look 'feminine' next to a man who is of a smaller-overall build (and consequently likely to be in a shorter height-bracket). I'd rather not be the 'big' spoon/physical protector/person doing all the literal heavy-lifting - it doesn't equate with the idea of femininity I've been sold, so I would prefer a man to be 2-3-inches-plus taller than I am, and built on reasonably solid lines.

Key word there being 'prefer' - I'm not going to eliminate a man who brings many of the other, more-important factors I'm looking for to the relationship, if he happens to be shorter/built on petite lines himself. There are many things that matter far more to me in a potential partner than his height. Mr Missed-my-chance is just under 6 foot, with a small-to-medium frame(his ribcage is about half the depth of mine), and I'd go out with him in a nanosecond.

@Mike, of course personal preferences are fine, provided one is neither obnoxious about it, nor totally blinkered by it - you might miss out on someone fantastic if you immediately dismiss someone who doesn't quite fit your 'ideal'. The question always has to be though: she might be your ideal, but are you hers? Mutuality is key.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    This thread makes my head hurt.

I am 6'1 so I win when it comes to height.

I find it very ironic though, that women seem to be very emotional about men

having preferences and being "judgmental" yet they can automatically

disregard another male due to something he cannot control, height.

It's quite simple Zach, women feel overly large/unfeminine/unprotected when they're with a guy shorter or punier than themselves.

It's genetics - the male is usually taller/stronger?

A bit like men liking boobs............we dont have control over those either......

Not quite sure why you're starting a gender war over that one??? But anyhow....... :flowerforyou:

Anna, I understand that women want to be with a taller man. It makes the woman feel more protected, small, etc etc. Women can openly say that and most men will accept it, keep their mouths shut, and move on. And as a man of medium height (5'10"), I'm sure I've been descriminated against and I'm OK with it. I don't feel entitled that every woman should want a man my height. If they will only date someone 6'2" and taller, then so be it.

However, what happens when the tables are turned? Men who say that they don't want to be with an overweight woman and would rather be with a petite one. Men can have the argument that they want to feel more masculine and more of a "protector" with a woman who's 5'2" 105lbs. And it's a very legit argument at that.

Are women suppose to just roll with it and accept it?

My honest opinion is yes, they should...people are attracted to what body type they are attracted to, that is not something they can change. Now I know some who will overlook a body type if the personality is stellar, and that is great, but if someone is not attracted to me because I'm overweight, I understand that. Then again, I am 5'5", and I am attracted to taller men. Like a PP poster said, I have to be able to wear my heels!! People can't change their height, but they also can't change their preferences...it's what makes us human!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    This increased my confidence because I finally learned it wasn't "me" as much as it was "them,"

I'm sure others will disagree, but I really like this sentiment. It's a really easy trap to fall into - blaming oneself for being 'undesirable', or 'unattractive', or 'too intimidating' - when the reality is that one is only those things in the eyes of the people who see you that way, because of their own issues and preferences. I'm sure we've all thought at times "what's so wrong with me?" (I certainly have anyway), and while I'm all for making the best of oneself, I am absolutely not for changing one's fundamental self in order to appeal to someone, or a group of someones' else.
  • SherryR1971
    Options
    This increased my confidence because I finally learned it wasn't "me" as much as it was "them,"

I'm sure others will disagree, but I really like this sentiment. It's a really easy trap to fall into - blaming oneself for being 'undesirable', or 'unattractive', or 'too intimidating' - when the reality is that one is only those things in the eyes of the people who see you that way, because of their own issues and preferences. I'm sure we've all thought at times "what's so wrong with me?" (I certainly have anyway), and while I'm all for making the best of oneself, I am absolutely not for changing one's fundamental self in order to appeal to someone, or a group of someones' else.

I agree completely! We are who we are..some will like us, some won't.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Well, so much for self-reflection and introspection. It's definitely easier to say it's "them" and not "me" and go on your merry way. But is this really true? In my experience, a lot of people (both men and women), who always think it's someone else's issue, often don't examine themselves and their own shortcomings first. I've calling many people out on this before. The more defensive they got, the bigger issues they had.

Can you clarify your statement "I'm all for making the best of oneself, I am absolutely not for changing one's fundamentals"?

I take this as you want to better yourself mentally and physically, but you don't want to change what you truly enjoy doing (whether it's opera, football, etc). If this is the case, I haven't met too many people that would discriminate against you or anyone because of what you enjoy doing. The only example that comes to mind are people at my university who genuinely hated conservatives solely based on their beliefs.
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options

Exactly!!! It's taken me a long time to figure it out, but it's like the light bulb finally came on. And just because I might not be someone's ideal, does not make me unworthy or insinuate that there is something wrong with me.
  • SherryR1971
    Options

Well, so much for self-reflection and introspection. It's definitely easier to say it's "them" and not "me" and go on your merry way. But is this really true? In my experience, a lot of people (both men and women), who always think it's someone else's issue, often don't examine themselves and their own shortcomings first. I've calling many people out on this before. The more defensive they got, the bigger issues they had.

Can you clarify your statement "I'm all for making the best of oneself, I am absolutely not for changing one's fundamentals"?

I take this as you want to better yourself mentally and physically, but you don't want to change what you truly enjoy doing (whether it's opera, football, etc). If this is the case, I haven't met too many people that would discriminate against you or anyone because of what you enjoy doing. The only example that comes to mind are people at my university who genuinely hated conservatives solely based on their beliefs.

I realize I'm not the poster whose type you quoted, but I did agree with her so here goes:
    I don't need self-reflection or introspection...I, for one, am happy with myself the way I am, if others or not, that is their issue to deal with. I'm not going to change who I am inside to make someone else happy, when I could find someone else and we could make each other happy.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have to change who you are to find someone. I'm a strong believer of this. I'm me and I like me. I have faults just like anyone else, but what's the secret? Finding someone who's faults agree with yours. Or someone who finds your faults endearing and are willing to accept the whole package. Unconditional love is loving the person for all that they are, not just parts.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    This is one I happen to disagree with when laid out as a black or white.

While I don`t think anyone should or perhaps even can change their core values that make you who you are I think we all can and should be looking for ways to improve ourselves.

The example I have used before is what if a person is so socially stunted that they can`t even talk to another person.
    Is don`t change a thing about you any kind of sage advice to give them?
    Would anyone say "just stand over by the wall and sooner or later the perfect person will come along for you"?
    Of course not,everyone would advise they get some sort of help to get them socialized.

Now this is obviously an extreme example but the point is that there is plenty of room to desire self improvement without changing your values.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to clarify my stance. I feel that all "improvements" to ones self should be for themselves. Like, I lost 40+ pounds because I wanted to feel good about myself. I didn't do it to "catch" a man or be more physically attractive to a man. And I won't keep the weight off to "keep" a man. I've been told that I'm outwardly attractive at 190 and at 147, but I did it for me.

I also have been trying to improve my patience because I think it will make me a more understanding and better person. I am not working on myself so that others find me more attractive. I also want to go back to school to improve me, not look more impressive to others.

But I do understand where you are coming from Carl. If there is something that is keeping you from "meeting" that person, for all means change it. If you have a social phobia that is making it impossible to meet people, take actions to fix it. If you think men will only be attracted to you if you lost 40 pounds and got DDD implants, you might want to seek out professional help...
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to clarify my stance. I feel that all "improvements" to ones self should be for themselves. Like, I lost 40+ pounds because I wanted to feel good about myself. I didn't do it to "catch" a man or be more physically attractive to a man. And I won't keep the weight off to "keep" a man. I've been told that I'm outwardly attractive at 190 and at 147, but I did it for me.

I also have been trying to improve my patience because I think it will make me a more understanding and better person. I am not working on myself so that others find me more attractive. I also want to go back to school to improve me, not look more impressive to others.

But I do understand where you are coming from Carl. If there is something that is keeping you from "meeting" that person, for all means change it. If you have a social phobia that is making it impossible to meet people, take actions to fix it. If you think men will only be attracted to you if you lost 40 pounds and got DDD implants, you might want to seek out professional help...

Being from the land of plastic surgery, every single women I've met who's got breast implants, nose job, etc has always said they got the procedure done for themselves. I've never met a women who said they did sole did it to please a man. Similar to plastic surgery, every women who has dropped a few lbs said they did it for themselves. Are they lying..? Who knows.

Personally, I don't care why they did it. I'm not one to judge or recommend professional help to someone who does weight loss or plastic surgery to please the opposite sex. I think if it helps them land their ideal partner, it's good for them.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I feel that all "improvements" to ones self should be for themselves. Like, I lost 40+ pounds because I wanted to feel good about myself.
    In a society where everyone is blind, and nobody ever has physical contact with anyone else, would you really want to lose those 40+ pounds? Probably not.

See, I believe that the "feel good about myself" is very much dependent on the society in which you live, and that you've integrated the "codes" of that society so much that you are indeed doing this to feel good about yourself in the society in which you live (in a specific context).
    Now if you push that reasoning further, by integrating and respecting the codes of the society in which you live, you are more agreeable to more people, and thus you are technically attracting more males (who are people too, let's keep that in mind!) who are also conforming to this society (and who have integrated the codes of it, codes to which you now conform more).
    Thus, by doing that, you are technically attracting more men, and thus are (inadvertently!) improving your chances of catching a man.
    Diabolical...

It is amusing that we often say we are doing things "for ourselves" whereas we are in fact doing things "for our benefit by being more agreeable to other humans" (and it makes sense to act for the betterment of your situation). Which is fine by the way, since humans are social by nature.
    And I won't keep the weight off to "keep" a man. I've been told that I'm outwardly attractive at 190 and at 147, but I did it for me.
    You'd be surprised at the things you can do to keep a "good man"... :laugh:
    It's all about compromise in the end. :drinker:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As far as physical preferences, I will say its their preference... Nothing to do with me. I can't and won't be going blonde because the guy I crush prefers blondes.
    With that said, if I'm receiving feedback from men that I date, that I'm too "needy", then maybe the problem is (gasp) me. I won't necessarily change for a guy but I'm not so proud (anymore) that I can't reflect and look into myself deeper.

We all have flaws and I'll never be perfect, but of there's a common theme (me) when dating around and I'm not successful keeping a guy around (if that's my goal), then let's face reality.

This is something I have learned through this board, through all this dating I'm doing, and just from plain growing.