High Maintenance Women

Options
DMZ_1
DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
Two questions to kick off this thread.

1. Guys-what are your thoughts on high maintenance women? Do you want them around?

2. Ladies-Do you consider yourself high maintenance? Why or why not?

Replies

• will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of high maintenance women....However, I think each guy has a different definition of what high maintenance means. There are I am sure many things I would put up with that the OP may not and vice versa.

For me, high maintenance means selfish, all about me all the time. Not necessarily always wanting gifts and what not, but literally turning almost all situations into somehow revolving around them. Mean, nasty obnoxious to other people. I had a first date with a woman and she was so rude to the waitress, I couldnt hold my tongue any longer.

I mentioned that she in my opinion was high maintenance and really felt that everyone owed her something. She in turn replied she was a lady and had certain expectations but that a lady is comfortable in any social setting (not sure how that was applicable to my high maintenance comment). In the end I told her I thought a lady was someone who made sure everyone else was comfortable in any social setting especially those that were clearly uncomfortable, and that I stood by my assessment of her being obnoxious and high maintenance.

BLUF: No I dont like nor keep around high maintenance/high drama women (I find they often go hand in hand)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I dont consider myself high maintenance. I know some high maintenance females and they always seem more concerned about how much he makes and what he can buy then the guy himself. Then there are girls like my sister a different kind of high maintenance. Shes the kind that expects you to be able to read her mind always initate contact and all dating procedures and thinks shes hot for her mind but still on occasion tell her that she is smoking........ On behalf of my entire bloodline I would like to applogize to all the men in the world for my sister..... Run away and dont say I didnt warn you lol
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I do not consider myself a high maintenance woman. I don't need a man to buy me things all the time or pay for things (dinner, movie, clothes, etc) either. I am a simple kinda woman, ha ha!!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    No - probally to a lot of y'alls standards I'm very low low maintenance....borderline weird. :tongue:

Seriously though depends on what you call high maintenance....

I do require you to pick up after yourself, bathe, and have manners.....to some guys that's high maintenance.

I don't need you to do anything for me that I can do for myself.

If you'd like to save me a few bucks by fixing the kitchen sink rather than me calling the handyman....great (you would be rewarded):wink: but I can still pickup the phone and call.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Two questions to kick off this thread.

1. Guys-what are your thoughts on high maintenance women? Do you want them around?

2. Ladies-Do you consider yourself high maintenance? Why or why not?

Depends.. most high maintenance women I've met look like a million bucks and take very good care of themselves. Most are social, know how to converse, are fun, and can be engaging. So yes, I do want them around.

@will. How do you equate high maintenance with being mean, nasty, and obnoxious? Most women who people consider to be high maintenance are not like that. No one would want to be around anybody (HM or not) if they had those qualities.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I dont consider myself high maintenance. I know some high maintenance females and they always seem more concerned about how much he makes and what he can buy then the guy himself. Then there are girls like my sister a different kind of high maintenance. Shes the kind that expects you to be able to read her mind always initate contact and all dating procedures and thinks shes hot for her mind but still on occasion tell her that she is smoking........ On behalf of my entire bloodline I would like to applogize to all the men in the world for my sister..... Run away and dont say I didnt warn you lol

After all these stories about your sister, I really want to meet her one day!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I am not high maintenance. I don't get my eyebrows/legs/pits done, I do them myself. I don't get my nails done. I cut my own hair. I dislike spending more money on clothes/shoes/purses than I feel they are worth (Example, it takes a LOT for me to want to spend more than $20 on any given item). Even while I like getting awesome deals, I have a threshold for how much "shopping" I can do before I get bored; I usually only hit one store at a time and I hate for it to take more than an hour, unless it's errands like grocery store, pet store, stuff like that. I would rather drink beer and watch TV at home than go to a club or bar any day. I would rather play quarter arcade games at Chuck E. Cheese than go to Dave and Busters. I value practicality over aesthetics, I don't like flowers or diamonds and if I find myself in a very expensive trendy spot I end up just feeling uncomfortable most of the time.

I am... the opposite of high maintenance.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself high maintenace for the follwing reasons:
    1) I can take care of myself and pay my own bills
    2) I don't need or want a guy to buy me a lot of stuff
    3) I don't expect to hear from a guy every day and actually prefer not to
    4) I don't care about how much something costs or if it's a name brand
    5) I'm not a picky person... I can find something to eat at any restaurant, have fun at any activity
    6) I don't spend hours getting ready to go out. I make an effort to look nice but I don't spend hours on my hair/makeup/etc.
    7) I communicate my needs and wants - I don't expect anyone to read my mind or interpret subtle clues
    8) I try to be considerate of everyone in my life
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I do require you to pick up after yourself, bathe, and have manners.....to some guys that's high maintenance.

Ew, that's just basic hygiene. I consider high maintenance to be more related to frivolity and expense than I do showering yeesh!

For the record, I totally shower, clean and keep good appearance, I just do it on the cheap.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options

After all these stories about your sister, I really want to meet her one day!

You live down here that can totally be arranged..... But you cant tell her anything I've said about her or I might end up on channel 7 news

edited for spelling mistakes
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I would equate high maintenance with being needy.
    Always a roiling cauldron of emotions and has to have a person tell them they are okay and beautiful and desired.
    Reading something into everything in search of constant validation.

We all want that now and then so not saying never but when that is the normal it is too soul sucking.
    Your life becomes lived only for them and like a vampire they take it all leaving you with nothing.

To add to it,the moment you stop they will be gone.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I consider high maintenance to be more related to frivolity and expense

Yes, this is how I would describe it too. And I agree with Will, most high maintenance women I know are surrounded by drama.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Seems like everyone has a different definition of high maintenance!

I consider "high maintenance" women to be those who take hours to get ready, even to go places like the grocery store, require a lot of attention, and are very fussy/picky.

Under my definition, I am not high maintenance. :)
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    It looks like our definitions of high maintenance tend to coincide with what we believe ourselves NOT to be!

But I would like to find a person that considered me high maintenance, that would be hilarious!
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    If high maintenance is defined as a "she finds various way to spend all of my money" scenario, then no.

If high maintenance is defined as she is overly picky, then it becomes a plus or minus scenario.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Seems like everyone has a different definition of high maintenance!

I consider "high maintenance" women to be those who take hours to get ready, even to go places like the grocery store, require a lot of attention, and are very fussy/picky.

Under my definition, I am not high maintenance. :)
    I would agree with this, plus I would add that a high maintenance woman requires a lot of energy and attention from others to validate her self-esteem (compliments for how she looks after all that primping).

I'm not high maintenance at all, but had a friend who was. It's not a friendship I could sustain because we lived to far apart (30 min- 1 hour drive) she wasn't willing to put the effort into getting together because she "doesn't like to drive". Guess what? I don't either!!! When she expected me to drive out of my way and pick her up for a get together with other friends (which would have added an hour onto a 2 hour drive each way), that was it. It was so annoying when we were on a trip and a group of us were all ready to go out and were really hungry, but we had to wait for her to put on her face again and to curl her hair.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I consider myself to be a bit high maintenance due to liking attention, I am very into my looks, I can be needy at times though that has gotten a lot better, and I am not a plain Jane- at all. I'm dramatic from the way I look, walk, talk (not obnoxious but I'm very outgoing), carry myself, etc.

However, I'm not a gold digger at all, I don't do crazy dramatic scenes, and am not rude nor snobby.

I find the guys that are mostly attracted to this are guys who are completely opposite.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Ummm.. I dunno? Yes, I like to get my hair done, nails done (toes.. I bite my nails :angry: :grumble: :embarassed: :frown:), work out, be finnicky about what I eat most of the time, buy new clothes and gadgets, etc. But I don't ever expect anyone to pay for these things for me.

I am very easy going most of the time. I like to have a monthly or bi-monthly typical "girls night" headed to the club, but I still have a few party dresses and heels in my closet that I haven't worn yet, and probably won't wear until New Years, maybe once before.

I don't wear makeup during the work week because I don't think I need to, but I will do my hair once or twice and put makeup on on the weekends.

As far as emotionally high maintenance, I think I can be sometimes. But the good thing is, if I'm not getting what I want or need, I will communicate that in a straight forward and calm way, and the situation usually gets resolved.

Meh. I guess I'm not high maintenance by my standards.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm on a similar track with Carl and La Amazona on this one..

I am probably a little more emotionally high maintenance than anything in terms of money, being fussy or overdramatic.
    I do appreciate attention, connection and people who respond positively to that.

I absolutely enjoy doing my hair and makeup and looking like I've put a little effort in. I don't expect lavish praise from the efforts, but it is really nice to receive a compliment or see the admiration in someone's eyes now and then.
  • slap1225
    slap1225 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group because you guys defiantly have the best topics, and I figured I may as well join in.
    According to the urban dictionary, this is hilarious! There are a lot of definitions for “high maintenance” most of it has to do with needy, overly dramatic, money hungry women who spend most of their time and money on superficial things for themselves. But a lot of the definitions also include attention and the constant need for praise.
    IMO most humans have a bit of “high maintenance” in them. 90% of the population requires interaction with other people and have the desire to feel special and/or attractive. Kind words are nice to hear if you spend a lot of time on anything it is nice if someone notices.
    So yes I am high maintenance, I like people to notice the things I do, and i feel better about myself when I do something for myself nails, hair, whatever. But as far as the money & drama stuff I’m not.