my mom's advice

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
Tonight, my mom said, "if I was single, I'd hang out at Fleet Farm to meet boys."

My mom is hysterical...and there are hot guys there, but am I just supposed to walk around the store and hope one hits on me? Good intentions from my mom though!

Do your parents or friends ever give you funny or random dating advice?

And if you don't know, Fleet Farm is kinda like a K-Mart mixed with a sporting goods store. Tons of hunting and fishing stuff but also shoes, appliances, furniture, etc.
It is known as "the man's mall."

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sounds like REI here in cali.

it's a good idea. check to see if they outdoorsy type classes. i just found out REI has a bunch.. it's stuff like how to read a compass, put up a tent, take outdoor photos, etc. i plan on taking a few classes not only because hot guys might be there (which i hear they are) but also becaue stuff like that is good to know
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Great advice, do it!! :bigsmile:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    The advice makes sense. You need to be in the right sorts of places. Women have it easier in this regard because there are a lot of types of places that tend to be sausage fests.

But hanging out in the right places is no guarantee of success. The right guys need to be there at the right times. But more importantly, you need to have the right traits. Think of it this way.......

1. Imagine the kind of guy who you want to be with
    2. Imagine the kind of woman that guy who you desire is typically with
    3. Be that woman

The same process goes for men, just in reverse.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    My mom has told me in a variety of ways to "dress like a slut" when I go to the gym.

Those may not have been her exact words, but it was well implied.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    My mom hasn't come up with anything like that, but I myself thought maybe hanging out at Home Depot could be promising. Wrong! Whenever I've gone, I've had lots of helpful employees (well on either side of what I think is a reasonable age range or married) offer to assist me as soon as I walk up an isle or I see men wandering with wives and kids. (BTW, I don't go there for nothing though - I have a place in need of lots of DIY work I'm working on.)
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    That is what Moms do.

They love ya so they try to help in any way they can.

But yeah, don't hang around Farm and Fleet, lol.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My mom has told me in a variety of ways to "dress like a slut" when I go to the gym.

Wise woman. ;-)

--P
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

lolololol
  • DMZ_1
    Options

If a woman has a nice body, shows it off and has personable non verbals, she'll attract male interest at the gym, have productive conversations and have more dating/mating options than if she didn't take this course of action.
  • christine24t
    Options
    The advice makes sense. You need to be in the right sorts of places. Women have it easier in this regard because there are a lot of types of places that tend to be sausage fests.
    But hanging out in the right places is no guarantee of success. The right guys need to be there at the right times. But more importantly, you need to have the right traits. Think of it this way.......

3. Be that woman

Not to start an argument, but I have a question. Should you fake who you are to attract someone? I am the kinda girl who wants someone who shops at Fleet Farm, but I was the type of girl who wears dresses and five inch heels, and I want to date a man who is very good with his hands, should I pretend to be someone I'm not? Because that guy probalby wouldn't be into me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

3. Be that woman

Not to start an argument, but I have a question. Should you fake who you are to attract someone? I am the kinda girl who wants someone who shops at Fleet Farm, but I was the type of girl who wears dresses and five inch heels, and I want to date a man who is very good with his hands, should I pretend to be someone I'm not? Because that guy probalby wouldn't be into me.

i think you're looking at it too much. you mom is basically saying that if you want to meet men, you should hag out where men are.

i have so many female friends who can't meet guys but they only go places where women and gay men go and then they wonder why they never meet straight guys :laugh:
  • christine24t
    Options

3. Be that woman

i think you're looking at it too much. you mom is basically saying that if you want to meet men, you should hag out where men are.

i have so many female friends who can't meet guys but they only go places where women and gay men go and then they wonder why they never meet straight guys :laugh:

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I'm responding to DM, who says to imagine the kind of man you want to be with, and become the woman he would want. My question is isn't that lying and being dishonest? Lets say I decide I want to meet a stockbroker. Should I start hanging out at places they hang out after work and pretend to be interested in finance? Or should I be myself and hopefully that stockbroker will be into regardless of me not being his usual type?

My moms advice was spot on for me though, she knows me well.
  • DMZ_1
    Options

This is the concept of inner game vs. outer game. Inner game is your mindset and how you define yourself. Outer game is what you exhibit to the outside world.

Inner game is not faking it. No, you can't change your essence in full, but you can change things about yourself which can change your inner perception, and this can change external behaviors and external perceptions. You can lose weight, take up new hobbies, buy a new wardrobe, etc. That's not being fake. A person can work on their body language, being more outgoing, etc.

A lot of it is seeing things from an "others perspective". Can you, with who you are, make a good presentation and give good reasons (logical and/or emotional) for someone to be with you?

A woman who wears dresses and heels will have opportunities to meet men who are good with their hands rather easily.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

3. Be that woman

I dont think that any relationship formed on the basis of fake anything is going to survive. What's that movie when the girl got found out for lying about her whole existance and the guy dumped her on the pre wedding party when the sister played a video?

Anyway...

Neither do I think its correct to assume that a man good with his hands isnt attracted to dresses and heels!! Au contraire! Men of all persuasions are attracted to ermmm......women!

There are no set rules in the laws of attraction. It just happens that two people attract and are right for each other :flowerforyou:
  • Prahasaurus
    Options

If a woman has a nice body, shows it off and has personable non verbals, she'll attract male interest at the gym, have productive conversations and have more dating/mating options than if she didn't take this course of action.

That sounds like a National Geographic voice-over for a documentary on "Homosapien Dating Habits, Episode 8: the Gym."

--P
  • Prahasaurus
    Options

3. Be that woman

Is this before or after your cosmetic surgery?

--P
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    Inner game is not faking it. No, you can't change your essence in full, but you can change things about yourself which can change your inner perception, and this can change external behaviors and external perceptions.

I'll drink to that.

--P
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    What's that movie when the girl got found out for lying about her whole existance and the guy dumped her on the pre wedding party when the sister played a video?

You're thinking of Titanic.

--P
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    What's that movie when the girl got found out for lying about her whole existance and the guy dumped her on the pre wedding party when the sister played a video?

--P

No, I'm not! :laugh:
  • Prahasaurus
    Options

--P

No, I'm not! :laugh:

Apocalypse Now?

--P