DM...

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
I have started a lot of threads lately, my bad, but I just have to post this out there!

DM, I feel like this is you moonlightling writing this blog. http://www.therulesrevisited.com/ Is it you???? The writing style and advice are very similar.

I have a love/hate affair with this blog. He makes a lot of good points though.

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    No, not me. I'll have to read the blog at another time.
  • christine24t
    Options
    No, not me. I'll have to read the blog at another time.

You should! I bet you will like it, very much your style advice. It is written geared toward women, but some of the advice can be generalized to both sexes.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    You should! I bet you will like it, very much your style advice. It is written geared toward women, but some of the advice can be generalized to both sexes.

It is funny, I think guys like that do a disservice to men. Generally speaking, I feel that women don't need as much advice as men. Women, especially the top tier, hold a distinct advantage in dating. Most of the women that I find myself attracted to seem to know exactly what they want and how to handle men.
  • christine24t
    Options

It is funny, I think guys like that do a disservice to men. Generally speaking, I feel that women don't need as much advice as men. Women, especially the top tier, hold a distinct advantage in dating. Most of the women that I find myself attracted to seem to know exactly what they want and how to handle men.

You're probably right, but not every woman is "top tier" and I think the advice is good to help make yourself a "higher tier" if that is what you desire. I like some of the advice.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I spent about an hr reading the blog!!
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the blog. While I do agree looks matter, this guy just seemed overly obsessed and shallow. I hate guys that rate women and pick apart women's looks... it's just rude and not classy at all.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Thoroughly amused by his graphs, pie-charts and tables - seems like someone's got too much time on his hands (and perhaps not quite the hyper-active dating life he claims?). Have responded to one post - I'll be interested to see what he says in reply...

Wouldn't have thought DM was writing though - DM tends to be fairly succinct, and this chap, er, isn't.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I feel dumber just by reading this entry...

Appearance Checklist - Part 1

It can be hard sometimes to translate paragraphs of advice into concrete (which often means quantified) goals, so here is a list of questions you can ask yourself the next time you get confused about why the guy you want likes your hotter friend. You probably don't need me to tell you that the answer to all of them should be "yes."
    1. Do I have long hair?
    2. Do I work out more times per week than I gossip, complain, eat ice cream and go out (combined) per week?
    3. Have I asked the advice of at least three different hairdressers in order to determine whether my hair style is suitable for my face shape, or what other styles I could try that might be an improvement?
    4. Have I asked one or two male acquaintances (good friends might not be honest) to tell me one thing I could improve about my appearance, insisting that they take time to think about it before giving me an answer?
    5. When I work out, do I use weights or do I just tell myself that jogging is enough because it is easier?
    6. Have I read at least one complete book about dieting, so that I understand how to control my weight by controlling my intake?
    6. If I want to lose weight, do I keep a strict diet, in which I only eat healthy foods and walk away from each meal feeling a little hungry?
    7. Have I determined my complexion (possibly by using an online tool)and had an expert confirm it? Have I checked through my wardrobe to make sure I discard or give away anything that won’t look good on me?
    8. Do I force myself to wear heels in everyday situations, at least three times a week?
    9. Have I spent the time to find at least three makeup combinations that work well with my complexion - realizing that this includes trying out the ones that I think might be best a few times each?

Especially #1.
  • castadiva
    Options

It can be hard sometimes to translate paragraphs of advice into concrete (which often means quantified) goals, so here is a list of questions you can ask yourself the next time you get confused about why the guy you want likes your hotter friend. You probably don't need me to tell you that the answer to all of them should be "yes."
    1. Do I have long hair?
    2. Do I work out more times per week than I gossip, complain, eat ice cream and go out (combined) per week?
    3. Have I asked the advice of at least three different hairdressers in order to determine whether my hair style is suitable for my face shape, or what other styles I could try that might be an improvement?
    4. Have I asked one or two male acquaintances (good friends might not be honest) to tell me one thing I could improve about my appearance, insisting that they take time to think about it before giving me an answer?
    5. When I work out, do I use weights or do I just tell myself that jogging is enough because it is easier?
    6. Have I read at least one complete book about dieting, so that I understand how to control my weight by controlling my intake?
    6. If I want to lose weight, do I keep a strict diet, in which I only eat healthy foods and walk away from each meal feeling a little hungry?
    7. Have I determined my complexion (possibly by using an online tool)and had an expert confirm it? Have I checked through my wardrobe to make sure I discard or give away anything that won’t look good on me?
    8. Do I force myself to wear heels in everyday situations, at least three times a week?
    9. Have I spent the time to find at least three makeup combinations that work well with my complexion - realizing that this includes trying out the ones that I think might be best a few times each?

Especially #1.

Wow! I missed that entry! What a hoot! :laugh:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

1. Do I have long hair?

Especially #1.
    Most men have a preference for "long" hair, similarly most women have a preference for "short" hair.

I also think that the "looks competition" is tougher on the women's side.

To be clearer, there are lots of women obsessed with their looks and while some men are similar (more and more actually), it is generally easier to stand out as a man with minimal effort on your looks
    If you only have "no interest" or "minimal interest" in your looks as a woman you will be literally crushed by the competition who are more interested than you in their looks.
    And - yes - most women on this forum are seemingly above "minimal interest" from the point of view of a man (minimal interest is not even the vital minimum as a woman anyway).

And so because I would agree that men are generally more visual (at least in the initial stages) and if you consider that the competition is harder on the women's side, reading between the line the article is harshly telling you to put a lot of efforts in your looks (if you ignore the tone, that what it says).

You can't be lazy about your looks as a woman.
  • castadiva
    Options

Perhaps not, but aditionally, but we should apparently be making beauty decisions by committee, and relying on people who make commission from selling us various products and services to tell us what makes us look best, rather than trusting ourselves. Oh, and we should always be a little hungry, with sore feet, and should invest serious time and effort in reading about dieting... In short we should be indecisive, impoverished, insecure, undernourished, in pain, and more interested in how we look that anything else, really. So, nice and compliant then... Honestly?!?!?!?!
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Oh.my.gawd.

He is like DM .. but taken to the 50th degree.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    See... I like DM.

I want to punch this blogger in the nose.
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    well, it's no wonder i'm still single. i won't wear hear heels for no reason three days per week, LOL!!!
    i dress for my work outs, to make sure i do them...... and i don't do them in high heels, hehehehehe

when i ask my guy friends about my looks and what i can improve, i usually get solicited by them for sex, so i stopped doing that..... not worth it.

and i have no need for multiple avenues of assessing make up and my complexion, LOL! i get facials.

i guess i will just have to buy a whole lotta cats and be content that i am doomed to be an old maid............ ( smirk)
  • Jennifer2387
    Options
    See... I like DM.

I want to punch this blogger in the nose.

He is systematic like DM .. but obnoxious .. not like DM.

I honestly think that he takes everything that women obsess about men thinking and makes it 10 times worse. Like if you aren't the perfect 10 at the right age .. you get nothing. You must have long hair and perfect posture and be the perfect weight .. but you have to get to that weight in the perfect way .. and you have to act like you don't care that you are the perfect weight. You can't have sex on the first date .. but you can't deny your man sex. You have to dress perfectly and wear high heels .. God forbid you wear sneakers if you aren't at the gym. But! It's not healthy to wear high heels everyday and he understands this .. but there are some perfectly good options out there that can be super feminine too.

OMFG.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Perhaps not, but aditionally, but we should apparently be making beauty decisions by committee, and relying on people who make commission from selling us various products and services to tell us what makes us look best, rather than trusting ourselves. Oh, and we should always be a little hungry, with sore feet, and should invest serious time and effort in reading about dieting... In short we should be indecisive, impoverished, insecure, undernourished, in pain, and more interested in how we look that anything else, really. So, nice and compliant then... Honestly?!?!?!?!

I agree, you shouldn't go solely on what other people say. But, you shouldn't discard their advice either.

I've always valued advice that's been given to me by someone who's a professional in a certain field. Whether it's fitness advice from a trainer, medical advice from a doctor, or hair advice from a hairdresser.. I always like to listen to what they have to say. If they are an expert in their field, then I'd usually trust them over myself.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

1. Do I have long hair?

Especially #1.
    Most men have a preference for "long" hair, similarly most women have a preference for "short" hair.

I also think that the "looks competition" is tougher on the women's side.

To be clearer, there are lots of women obsessed with their looks and while some men are similar (more and more actually), it is generally easier to stand out as a man with minimal effort on your looks
    If you only have "no interest" or "minimal interest" in your looks as a woman you will be literally crushed by the competition who are more interested than you in their looks.
    And - yes - most women on this forum are seemingly above "minimal interest" from the point of view of a man (minimal interest is not even the vital minimum as a woman anyway).

And so because I would agree that men are generally more visual (at least in the initial stages) and if you consider that the competition is harder on the women's side, reading between the line the article is harshly telling you to put a lot of efforts in your looks (if you ignore the tone, that what it says).

I understand you can't be lazy about your looks. I don't think anyone should be. It's called taking a little pride in yourself. But that doesn't mean that ALL men will only date a woman if she has long hair. I look BETTER with a short pixie cut, I have pics to prove it. I get my hair colored (started going gray at 18) and cut every 4 weeks and spend about $75 a pop to maintain my looks. I've had about 20 different hairstyles in the past 10 years and everyone I know (men included) say that this one is the best yet. I have hair that is coarse and thick and it tends to curl and grow out, not down. I would need to get it relaxed or get extensions if I were to want long hair (which I don't).

IMO, this guy is a jerk.
  • castadiva
    Options

I agree, you shouldn't go solely on what other people say. But, you shouldn't discard their advice either.

I've always valued advice that's been given to me by someone who's a professional in a certain field. Whether it's fitness advice from a trainer, medical advice from a doctor, or hair advice from a hairdresser.. I always like to listen to what they have to say. If they are an expert in their field, then I'd usually trust them over myself.

Advice, sure, but I'm not going to consult with "at least three different hairdressers" to establish what they think is the best hair-do for my face-shape. a) they're likely to all give different answers, b) I can probably figure that out for myself, more or less, with the aid of a mirror, c) it takes time to find a hairdresser you like and trust, who isn't going to give you 'this season's fire-engine red razor cut' if you ask for 'something a bit different' and d) life's too short and I'm too busy to waste that amount of time (and money) on something like that! I pick my hairdresser with care, and I'm happy to take advice from a real expert in something I can't do myself, but I'm not doing my hair by committee! Or my makeup/wardrobe/complexion. While I like to look good, I'm not walking the red carpet at the Met Ball/Oscars on a regular basis, and can make most of these decisions for myself without devastating consequences :laugh:
  • DMZ_1
    Options

As a woman, this is #1 to men. Good looks rule the roost. With good looks, the dating world (and the world at large) is a woman's oyster.

Men not only have to think about looks, but also we have to be concerned with our earning power. There are more variables that go into play with this than achieving and maintaining good looks.
  • Jennifer2387
    Options

As a woman, this is #1 to men. Good looks rule the roost. With good looks, the dating world (and the world at large) is a woman's oyster.

Men not only have to think about looks, but also we have to be concerned with our earning power. There are more variables that go into play with this than achieving and maintaining good looks.

I wonder what is considered good looks for a woman. Is it just by a persons taste or is it really all of the above as this guy states.