Made a bone broth but it's disgusting!

2»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I guess it's all what one is used to. I live in the Arctic (grew up in the sub-Arctic mostly) and I love bone broth from raw bones. I can eat meat and marrow raw no problem. The only smell that I don't like is boiling whale and seal fat (I'd rather eat them raw than bear the smell). I am not really fond of seal and whale but I have discovered that if I am REALLY HUNGRY foods that I didn't like before become far more appetizing and the feeling of nausea is absent. Also, when one eats whale or seal you get really hot really quickly as if one's inner furnace has been turned up to max. I suppose that explains why Inuit were able to survive up here.

Most of us are pretty spoiled with being able to pick and choose what we eat every day. While I am far more limited than other Canadians, I still have much greater choice that what historical peoples had.

I'm sorry that your bone broth turned out gross, but thanks for your post which has given me tips for my broths (haven't made any recently).

Edit: bone-in beef is often cheaper and if you know that you are using the bones then you won't feel like the bones are a waste. I
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    OK So the determination for the bone broth is to roast the bones 1st? I have another question... which type of bones are best? Beef, Pork, Chicken, Buffalo etc. And can you use this the same as a chicken stock? Like for stews and soups? or maybe as a thickener? I am currently ready Practically Paleo and while a lot of the recipes seem AWESOME... The bone broth scares me...