What should I have done ..

Options

Replies

• farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Cure all.....pick a place.... that you would feel incredibly uncomfortable...say its a bar all by yourself. don't take anyone along.

Go. Sit there. have a drink, etc. When all of those "OMG I'M GONNA DIE" feelings start to go away.... leave, come back do it again talk to strangers, approach them, feel them out for different vibes, go and again, get comfortable

Then pick a new place, and go through it all over again and again..... Break yourself of your insecurities in unfamiliar places/people etc.

Everybody's different but it kinda worked for me.
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    i talk to everyone that talks to me, but i do it like i do a first date or job interview. just two people that don't know each other, mean anything to each other, or owe each other a thing.

would you have weirded out had it been a girl? or an ugly guy? or a kid? or a grandma? just treat them like a normal human being and talk. respond. be nice and smile. and remind yourself that it doesn't mean anything :-)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You start practicing. Smile, make conversation at every opportunity and have a little flirty fun...with everyone..not just the cute ones. This will help you get used to it again. Enjoy it. You have nothing to feel panicked or embarassed about. Attention is a great thing. Assume everyone is admiring you and/or interested in talking to you if that gives you confidence.
    It really is just a mental game you play with yourself.. at least to start.

Oh.. I wish you could attend my master class on small talk and flirting! LOL :flowerforyou:

This is spot on, and I would add... don't automatically assume that a guy starting conversation with you like that is interested. He might have thought you looked familiar, or been practicing making conversation with strangers himself because he gets nervous talking to women. Assume he's just making small talk so you won't get as nervous. If he asks for your number, then you can get nervous, but you'll be already chatting by that point.

Yes, I agree with this! If it had been a woman or elderly man for example in line that asked how your day was, you would have answered and moved on. But because he was a guy withing your dating age bracket, you panicked. Just get used to being more social in general and it will help.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Was it because he was cute? Can you normally talk to strangers?

Good question .. I have always been in a relationship .. since I was freaking 14. I think it was because he was cute and he seemed to notice me and smiled at me and I got all 14 years old again. I haven't been single with the thought of finding a boyfriend in decades. Even when I dated the young guy .. I met him on MFP and we started out just kind chatting on PM's .

Strangers I can talk to .. boys that I want to lick.. obviously not so much.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I would've been the exact same. I can chat all day with anyone, but if its an attractive man I freeze up. Doesn't matter if he is taken or not.

No advice therefore...
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I think you have 1 or 2 drinks in you at all times when in public. I hear alcohol helps one relax and lowers inhibitions.

This is awesome advice. And I would have done the same exact thing...LOL
    Me too. I am less shy and more outgoing when I've had a little alcohol.
  • Jennifer2387
    Options
    I think you have 1 or 2 drinks in you at all times when in public. I hear alcohol helps one relax and lowers inhibitions.

I can't drink on my lunch hour!!! Not to mention my .. oh have one drink I love the whole world, second drink I fall over.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    a guy friend gave me the advice to just start making eye contact, and chatting people up...didn't have to be someone I was interested in....just people to get used to talking. So that day I was at the grocery store and tried it....was chatty with a guy I had NO interest in, and was just a basic conversation, but was way easier than I thought.

Though I would probably have reacted the same way you did in your situation :tongue:
    this is how i practiced.
    just start talking to random strangers. eventually you get used to it so it's less a big of a deal starting a conversation with a hot guy as it is someone you aren't interested in.

people -especially guys- are more willing to talk than you might think at first appearance. also the good thing about being a girl is that we really dont necessarily need an interesting opener to get them to talk. sometimes "Hi, how's it going?"is all it takes
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    been there done that..if I'm actually really physically into a man I just turn into a blushing shy twit
  • Jennifer2387
    Options
    Next time, show yer bewbs!

That I can do ! lol
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

I can't drink on my lunch hour!!! Not to mention my .. oh have one drink I love the whole world, second drink I fall over.

Then have half a drink.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I become friendly with everyone and speak Spanglish.
  • Jennifer2387
    Options

hahahaha .. I speak spanglish with a little french in there and don't know either language!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

hahahaha .. I speak spanglish with a little french in there and don't know either language!

I'm constantly mixing German and Japanese into my speech too! Haha
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Good body language, nice smile, fun and playful voice tone. You're set!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Ladies...the vast majority of you have stated that you want/expect/demand a guy initiates contact.
    Most have also said that rejection is something they fear and here it is not in play.

Now you all are saying that when a guy does just what you want you can`t deal with it?
    Take a deep breath and a moments thought about this and stop this silliness.
    That is not meant as snarky,just think about it and do what you should when the situation that you desire presents itself.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Ladies...the vast majority of you have stated that you want/expect/demand a guy initiates contact.
    Most have also said that rejection is something they fear and here it is not in play.

Now you all are saying that when a guy does just what you want you can`t deal with it?
    That is not meant as snarky,just think about it and do what you should when the situation that you desire presents itself.
    is it possible that you are comparing 2 different subsets of women and are dumping us all into the superset of ladies?
    it's been my experience that the guys who get confused about lady talk like this tend do so because they can't keep track of individuals and just want to lump us all together as women have said xyz...

just to be clear, asking lady A about situation B and lady B about situation A is in no way the same thing as asking lady A about situation A or lady B about situation B
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

is it possible that you are comparing 2 different subsets of women and are dumping us all into the superset of ladies?
    it's been my experience that the guys who get confused about lady talk like this tend do so because they can't keep track of individuals and just want to lump us all together as women have said xyz...

just to be clear, asking lady A about situation B and lady B about situation A is in no way the same thing as asking lady A about situation A or lady B about situation B

That is inevitable to an extant and we all do that but regardless,the overall point is still valid and not in any way an attack.
    I am just saying that when you are dealt a full house you take advantage of it and especially so if one has determined that is what is close to required to begin with.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'm subset C!!! What happens to us??? :laugh:
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR SO LONG shakefist.gif and EVERY time someone is like "Well I know, BUT" which means NO! You DON'T know!! slap.gif