Catfish tv show

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
Anybody heard of this show? It's about people who have met someone online, but someone is fishy, so the show goes and investigate for the person, to see if the person is legitimate or not. The man who created the show created it because he met a woman online who did this to him.

Dr. Phil is doing a show about the show. These three girls are on Dr. Phil right now - they all fell in love with this guy online - but it turned out it was a woman who was doing it for whatever reasons.

http://www.mtv.com/shows/catfish/series.jhtml

I'm going to have to DVR this one. These girls kind of sound stupid - but why would you manipulate someone online like that?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it... and it sounds awful!

But I'm not really into reality TV anyway so my opinion is that of an outsider.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've watched it. So far, the episode I've seen (around 3), none of the online romances worked. Ha!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I actually saw the original documentary-style movie, which I thought was pretty good. The guy's brother is a filmmaker and just started filming him having an online exchange with an artist and her family. I don't think they ever expected the twists and turns that the story took, but it made for a compelling movie at least.

I've only seen a few minutes of the tv show but it was more staged than the movie. The woman seemed extremely gullible and I kept wondering how anyone would believe all the lies she was told.
  • christine24t
    Options
    I kept wondering how anyone would believe all the lies she was told.

The girls on Dr. Phil were very gullible. They were talking to the "guy" online and they were exchanging "I love you's" but they hadn't even met yet! Or video-chatted!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I just watched episode 3 online (as well as recaps of episode 1 and 2). WOW!!! As sad as it is, I'm gonna have to add that to my queue.

What I don't get is why these women fell in love with some guy they haven't met in over a year. I mean, the fact that he doesn't want to meet should be a clue that something is very wrong.

The guys may be fishy, but I think the women ought to share some of the blame for their role in allowing these farces to continue. I can understand the case of the girl who started chatting back in high school, but once they graduated it's time to grow up and cut him loose if he still doesn't want to meet (especially if you've got a boyfriend).
  • christine24t
    Options
    The guys may be fishy, but I think the women ought to share some of the blame for their role in allowing these farces to continue. I can understand the case of the girl who started chatting back in high school, but once they graduated it's time to grow up and cut him loose if he still doesn't want to meet (especially if you've got a boyfriend).

I agree.

I have had friendships with people online before and they could definitely be a farce. But before I fell in love with a person, I would have to know them in person. That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Just caught up on all three episodes this weekend. I have to say I loved this show! All three episodes were pretty epic and full of sad and awkward moments. I have the gut feeling that most of it is staged, but it's still wildly entertaining.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    this weeks looks like it will be good. I watched this show and was like how on earth could Sunny not tell that was a female or a teenager. She got caught up in her hopes and dreams and didn't see what was already visible
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    LOVE the show and the lady in the movie was/is astoundingly creepy. Then to lie and say you have cancer?? Makes me sick. What a messed up, crazy, P.O.S. She belongs in an institution. Clearly. I felt SO bad for the guy in the movie and for everyone on the show it happens to. I've met a good amount of people from the internet, no relationships that have lasted thus far, but if that happened to me I wouldn't be as calm as those people are! Nor would I ever give them a second chance!! Crazy! You're going to try to "repair" a relationship that was already built on total lies, with someone you never REALLY knew in the first place? Makes no sense. Find someone else!!!
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I find the show entertaining,but these girls so far are not very bright. And, the one girl, had talked to her "friend" for over 10 years!! Never skyped or video chat or new pics---really-that does not send a red flag??
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    just caught up...wow the guy that turned out to be a girl is absolutely insane and the others are real losers.

fun show though lol
  • Lizlicious2187
    Lizlicious2187 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm watching the episode that's on tonight and wooow....a chick getting back at another chick. What provokes someone to go that far?
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    yesterday's episode was really crazy. A girl pretending to be a man just to keep another woman from her man.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I just saw the episode with Jasmine. Jeez that was tough to watch.

I know I'm on the wrong thread here, but I confess to seriously crushing on that guy Nev. :love:
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    Watching this weeks episode, how could that woman think a guy like that would be into her? I don't know any women who are *that* out of touch with reality. If some gorgeous woman was into me, I'd be VERY skeptical.

This leads me to believe the show is staged (even though I love it).
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Why is it called catfish?
  • MikeM53082
    Options

There was a documentary a few years back by the same name and had a similar concept. The TV show is done by the same filmmakers (though produced by MTV).
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    So I just went through and watched the recaps of the episodes .. do they not show how they end?? Like the one with the guy that was really big and they talked online for 10 years .. they showed him telling her he loved her, but that was it! Do I have to watch the full epi to find out if she wants to date him??
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

There was a documentary a few years back by the same name and had a similar concept. The TV show is done by the same filmmakers (though produced by MTV).

Okay but why did they choose the name Catfish? What does that have to do with online dating or whatever this show is about.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=catfish

A catfish is someone who pretends to be someone they're not using Facebook or other social media to create false identities, particularly to pursue deceptive online romances.

First I ever heard of this term.