Catfish tv show

Options

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=catfish

A catfish is someone who pretends to be someone they're not using Facebook or other social media to create false identities, particularly to pursue deceptive online romances.

First I ever heard of this term.

Thanks I had no idea why it was called that!

I just watched the episode with Sunny and Jamison...Sunny was soooo pretty and seems nice (although a little ditzy). I totally knew Jamison was really a girl the second Nev called Jamison. It was so obvious!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Why is it called catfish?

There was a documentary a few years back by the same name and had a similar concept. The TV show is done by the same filmmakers (though produced by MTV).

Okay but why did they choose the name Catfish? What does that have to do with online dating or whatever this show is about.

In the original movie, there's a guy they meet who tells them that when fishermen haul their catch to various ports, the fish often get lazy and mushy because they were packed so tight in barrels. But when the fisherman add catfish, a natural predator of the smaller fish, they keep them moving, active and fresh during the journey. I'm not relaying it very well here, but the analogy is that the one person is being the sneaky predator (maybe or maybe not) and the other it's prey.

Edit for typo
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Ah, that's interesting. I had no idea there was a term for that. Thanks PJ and Cesar!

Though I have zero intention of watching the show, the name was just bugging me.
  • FallingInLoveWithMe
    Options
    Watching this weeks episode, how could that woman think a guy like that would be into her? I don't know any women who are *that* out of touch with reality. If some gorgeous woman was into me, I'd be VERY skeptical.

Why? You're hot!
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Watching this weeks episode, how could that woman think a guy like that would be into her? I don't know any women who are *that* out of touch with reality. If some gorgeous woman was into me, I'd be VERY skeptical.

Why? You're hot!

You're my new favorite person :wink:
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    (disclaimer: I haven't watched the show)
    Whoever allows a catfish in their lives is desperate, lonely and a loser. And an idiot too (although a combination of the three previous statements probably ends up making you act like an idiot).

Unlike many other people, I don't think any state is permanent in life... so it's actually OK for someone to admit they are all of that!

(rather than attempt to hide it, lie to yourself and others about it in order to keep some illusory facade nobody but you cares about in the end - and if your "friends/family" are so judgmental that you fear their opinion, it's time to renew your social circles)

Accept it, integrate it, and start a positive change in your life. We've all been there and it's not like there aren't any other options than desperation!
  • christine24t
    Options
    Watching the episode with Jasmine and Mike. I don't think is going to end well.

Nev is the hairiest man I've ever seen! Hot but hairy.
  • pa_jorg
    Options
    Watching the episode with Jasmine and Mike. I don't think is going to end well.

Assuming you saw the ending...crazy, huh?
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    looking forward to the reunion next week
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I watched it for the first time yesterday. How awkward.... I saw the one with the guy in NJ and the girl in Orlando... I mean, he knew she was lying and he just stuck around anyway. Then she was mad when he didn't want to commit. It was insanity.
  • christine24t
    Options
    You guys should have seen Dr Phil today! This guy was engaged to his Internet gf...they had never met in person. Dr Phil proved her a catfish. Then this lady has given her BF 180,000 dollars...oh they've never met either. And even after Dr Phil told her her bf was a catfish, she still insisted he was real.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    You guys should have seen Dr Phil today! This guy was engaged to his Internet gf...they had never met in person. Dr Phil proved her a catfish. Then this lady has given her BF 180,000 dollars...oh they've never met either. And even after Dr Phil told her her bf was a catfish, she still insisted he was real.
    My kind of women!
  • pa_jorg
    Options

Me too. Can't wait to see what kind of crazy they have up their sleeves now.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

Yes! I've become addicted.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options

When is the reunion?
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options

Wow. Just wow. I can't even find the words.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options

I think my life is better for not ever seeing this show.
  • moonshadows72
    moonshadows72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I think i agree
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

I think i agree

I'll 3rd this.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

I think i agree

I'll 3rd this.

I feel this way about reality TV in general.