"Let's hang out"

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
Caught the end of a segment on Ryan Seacrest's show about dating. He was discussing how rare it is these days for men to ask women on a date. Tons of women were calling in and saying that men will ask them to hang out, or meet up with a group of friends, but they won't ask them on a date.

One girl called in and said "I'm 22 and no man has ever said to me "hi, would you like to go out to dinner with me?" All I get asked is to hang out."

Question for the men:
1) are you guilty of pulling the "lets hang out" card
A) if yes, why?
B) if no, what do you say to women you ask out?

Women
1) has a man ever asked you out this way? Did you accept?
2) what do you think about it?

And for both genders:
1) has dating become more casual than it used to be? Is that good or bad?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    1) Yes, and yes.

2) I think it's fine. I think it's a casual way to address what could otherwise be a very stressful situation. It's kind of like a "let's see if we like each other enough to do something more formal" deal. In fact, I prefer hanging out and getting to know each other over a couple drinks before we get dinner together. Something playful and fun like Karaoke or bowling with a couple friends let's you be yourself more than getting primped up for a high end sushi joint that is playing music so loud you can hardly hear each other!

3) I think it depends on the person. Some people like me prefer a more relaxed attitude toward dating. Some people want the pomp and formality. It's just another way to determine if you're a fit for another person. A guy you would want to date will ask you out in a way that you would accept. When I ask a guy out, I ask him to hang out because it's less threatening. It also leaves the door open for maybe just being friends if you aren't romantically drawn to each other.

I know this is also a way to get someone to be FWB, but as long as you don't settle for that then what's the big deal?
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Caught the end of a segment on Ryan Seacrest's show about dating. He was discussing how rare it is these days for men to ask women on a date. Tons of women were calling in and saying that men will ask them to hang out, or meet up with a group of friends, but they won't ask them on a date.

One girl called in and said "I'm 22 and no man has ever said to me "hi, would you like to go out to dinner with me?" All I get asked is to hang out."

Question for the men:
    A) if yes, why?

And for both genders:

1. I never use the phrase "lets hang out" with a woman. In the early stages, I will ask them to do X activity with me. I don't precisely use the word date, but I'm good at making my intentions known. If there's physical contact and kissing, you know that you both feel attraction and that you are going to be more than just regular friends.

Dating has become more casual, and in many ways, that is not a good thing. But the real answer to "Is that good or bad?" is "it is complicated".
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Having been single for not so long .. I totally have noticed this. I have yet to be asked to go on a date. I have been asked to watch a movie or to hang out, but not .. hey would you like to have dinner with me on friday where I will pick you up and pay for your meal real kind of date.

Part of me likes that it isn't so serious .. but another part of me wishes that it would be more romantic.
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Question for the men:
    A) if yes, why?

Women
    1) has a man ever asked you out this way? Did you accept?
    2) what do you think about it?

And for both genders:

1) Yes, I've been asked out on dates.
    2) If I were asked by a new guy to hang out I wouldn't think of it as a date.

I think dating HAS become more casual. I've been dating a guy for two months and we haven't had a conversation about where we see this going or how each of us feel about what we have going on. What we have is actually good for right now. No commitments, no pressure; however, we take each other out to eat and to events, talk every night and see each other every weekend, spend the night... you name it.

What I miss is someone actually asking you to be their girlfriend, or to go steady with you. That conversation is missed nowadays. It's more like: "whatever happens, happens". :frown:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    This is tangent and also a rant but bear with me.

When I was in Dallas in August I walked down to Dealy Plaza where President Kennedy was assassinated.
    This is a spot where the entire course of our country and world changed in 3 seconds.
    It is a sobering thing to go through the museum on the sixth floor and see where Oswald shot from.

The road is marked at the locations where the bullets struck and there was what appeared to be a classroom of kids there.
    They would go out to the spot and make goofy poses,the sideways or upside down peace sign (whatever the hell that stupid looking thing means) so they could have their picture taken.

To me it was utterly disgraceful and not one adult in the group even tried to stop them.
    I wanted to kick their collective *kitten*.

Okay so the point is that as a society we have lost basic elements of respect it seems.
    I suppose this is the result of the MTV/electronic culture but it is to me sad.

This fits in with that whether it is basic manners or taking anything seriously,we have not advanced in the last 30 years.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I rarely have had a guy use the actual word "date". Usually it's along the lines of "Would you like to have drinks on Wednesday?" or "Would you like to have dinner on Saturday?" or "Would you like to get together on Sunday?" I can't recall being specifically asked to "hang out." I think maybe that is more prevalent among the younger set?

That said, dating has become a lot more casual, which I hate. I don't like doing "hang out" dates, as in "hang out on the couch watching a movie" in the very beginning, but a lot of men seem to think that is a cool activity for a second date. The lack of planning dates is also stunning, as compared to ten years ago (in my experience). I mean, if if a man asks me out to dinner for 7 p.m. on Saturday, I don't expect him to be calling me at 6 p.m. and asking me what I feel like eating, or being taken to a restaurant where we have to wait for 90 minutes to be seated. Pick a place and make a damn reservation -- it's not that hard.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    I feel that a lot of the casualness in dating has been initiated by women. Many men have noticed that if the word "date" gets brought up too early, there is a tendency for women to become more defensive and less in the moment. Men are about achievement and the casual approach has seen to work more in recent times. Not saying that I agree with this entirely, but that's some of the feedback I've gotten over time.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    The lack of planning dates is also stunning, as compared to ten years ago (in my experience). I mean, if if a man asks me out to dinner for 7 p.m. on Saturday, I don't expect him to be calling me at 6 p.m. and asking me what I feel like eating, or being taken to a restaurant where we have to wait for 90 minutes to be seated. Pick a place and make a damn reservation -- it's not that hard.

Yes and no. Date planning isn't entirely the easiest thing. I think there is a tendency for women to underestimate what actually goes into date planning. There are times where we feel like unpaid social activities coordinators. Over an extended period of time, we like feedback from the woman and assistance in planning.

With that said though, in the example you gave, you have every reason to be upset. There should have been more planning in that. I've always felt that it is about creating quality times together, and a haphazard approach involving a 90 minute wait for seating isn't the greatest.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    The last three men I've been out with all asked if they could take me out for dinner. Quite specific wording actually.
    It was made very clear that these were dates, that there was romantic interest, and that they would be paying. In two cases, I suggested a few places for dinner and it was mutually agreed on, and the third situation, he suggested the restaurant.

I have never done the meet up for drinks thing. Movies either. Don't know why. Back in my university days though, it was ALL "let's hang out".

With my boyfriend, we actually met Oct 31st and didn't have our first date till Nov 10 because of illness and scheduling. We talked quite a bit between then though. So on our first date (in which we had very decidedly un-first date kind of conversations), he actually let me know that he'd like me to be his girlfriend.

I appreciate being with someone who knows what he wants and is clear about it. Oh.. I guess today is our one month anniversary.. if I were into cheesy markings of dating time..which I'm not!

Incidentally though, at what point should I kick myself out of this group? Technically I'm single and dating..:wink:
  • kls13la
    Options
    I feel that a lot of the casualness in dating has been initiated by women. Many men have noticed that if the word "date" gets brought up too early, there is a tendency for women to become more defensive and less in the moment. Men are about achievement and the casual approach has seen to work more in recent times. Not saying that I agree with this entirely, but that's some of the feedback I've gotten over time.

I totally disagree that it's been initiated by women, although I do think women as a group haven't opposed it -- creating the situation where it is now the rule and not the exception. Our society things has gotten much more casual, dating included, and a lot of men have realized that they don't have to put out all the stops anymore and properly "court" a woman, and they can still get laid and have a good time without having to worry about formal dating, commitment, or anything else. And younger woman have come to accept this approach and view it as the norm, including the pressure to have sex on date three or sooner. I think it's really sad. I'm not really sure what you mean by women getting defensive about the word "date." Generally speaking, I think women do appreciate a proper date (yes, I know there are exceptions) when they like the guy. The only time I can see defensiveness happening and pushing a "hang out" label is when the woman really isn't that into the guy.
  • afv417
    Options
    The lack of planning dates is also stunning, as compared to ten years ago (in my experience). I mean, if if a man asks me out to dinner for 7 p.m. on Saturday, I don't expect him to be calling me at 6 p.m. and asking me what I feel like eating, or being taken to a restaurant where we have to wait for 90 minutes to be seated. Pick a place and make a damn reservation -- it's not that hard.

Yes and no. Date planning isn't entirely the easiest thing. I think there is a tendency for women to underestimate what actually goes into date planning. There are times where we feel like unpaid social activities coordinators. Over an extended period of time, we like feedback from the woman and assistance in planning.

With that said though, in the example you gave, you have every reason to be upset. There should have been more planning in that. I've always felt that it is about creating quality times together, and a haphazard approach involving a 90 minute wait for seating isn't the greatest.

When my parents met.... back in the 80's... my dad called my mom about 8 times before their FIRST date and made reservations, was respectful, showed that he was interested... about 8 months in my mom said: "Ok, so are we getting married?" and that was that.

If a man IS that interested, why do they choose not to show their emotions like this anymore? I experienced that with ONE ex... He was head over heels and not afraid to show it. Now I don't see that happening so often... not just with me but with my friends. Is it not manly enough!? I don't get it...
  • afv417
    Options
    The last three men I've been out with all asked if they could take me out for dinner. Quite specific wording actually.
    It was made very clear that these were dates, that there was romantic interest, and that they would be paying. In two cases, I suggested a few places for dinner and it was mutually agreed on, and the third situation, he suggested the restaurant.

I have never done the meet up for drinks thing. Movies either. Don't know why. Back in my university days though, it was ALL "let's hang out".

With my boyfriend, we actually met Oct 31st and didn't have our first date till Nov 10 because of illness and scheduling. We talked quite a bit between then though. So on our first date (in which we had very decidedly un-first date kind of conversations), he actually let me know that he'd like me to be his girlfriend.

I appreciate being with someone who knows what he wants and is clear about it. Oh.. I guess today is our one month anniversary.. if I were into cheesy markings of dating time..which I'm not!

Incidentally though, at what point should I kick myself out of this group? Technically I'm single and dating..:wink:

I think you need to stick around :) I appreciate your input! It's not like you're cheating on him by having fun with us!! :flowerforyou:
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hang out = Cop out. I hate being asked to "hang out." Man up and ask me on a freaking date.
  • kls13la
    Options

Yes, I can see how very difficult and time consuming it would be to log on to Open Table, choose a restaurant, and click the button for a reservation at the appropriate time. :flowerforyou:

Over an extended period of time is something different entirely. Obviously after a relationship gets going both parties should make an effort to plan things to do. I'm mainly talking about the first few dates.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Huh... maybe I've been going on dates without realising that's what they were for years. 'Let's hang out' to me sounds like a friendly joint activity, not a date.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    This is tangent and also a rant but bear with me.

When I was in Dallas in August I walked down to Dealy Plaza where President Kennedy was assassinated.
    This is a spot where the entire course of our country and world changed in 3 seconds.
    It is a sobering thing to go through the museum on the sixth floor and see where Oswald shot from.

The road is marked at the locations where the bullets struck and there was what appeared to be a classroom of kids there.
    They would go out to the spot and make goofy poses,the sideways or upside down peace sign (whatever the hell that stupid looking thing means) so they could have their picture taken.

To me it was utterly disgraceful and not one adult in the group even tried to stop them.
    I wanted to kick their collective *kitten*.

Okay so the point is that as a society we have lost basic elements of respect it seems.
    I suppose this is the result of the MTV/electronic culture but it is to me sad.

This fits in with that whether it is basic manners or taking anything seriously,we have not advanced in the last 30 years.

This is common in every generation. It's more about a lack of understanding. These kids haven't been consciously aware of a tragedy in their lifetime. They don't know what it's like for your entire world to get rocked and come into question. Yeah, it's disrespectful, but it's not because they're twerps it's because they are incapable of understanding that type of horror until they experience it for themselves. While yeah, they should have been reigned in, I would be more upset at the adults for allowing that to happen rather than the kids themselves who were acting from the very definition of innocence. You can know that something happened without being able to really process it.
  • DMZ_1
    Options

Yes, I can see how very difficult and time consuming it would be to log on to Open Table, choose a restaurant, and click the button for a reservation at the appropriate time. :flowerforyou:

Over an extended period of time is something different entirely. Obviously after a relationship gets going both parties should make an effort to plan things to do. I'm mainly talking about the first few dates.

Yes, but your first paragraph assumes a one time thing. Think about it in terms of scale. Most early round dates fail. So the guy is repeating the early stage date planning process time and time again. Doing it time and time again gets nauseating for most guys.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    This is common in every generation. It's more about a lack of understanding. These kids haven't been consciously aware of a tragedy in their lifetime. They don't know what it's like for your entire world to get rocked and come into question. Yeah, it's disrespectful, but it's not because they're twerps it's because they are incapable of understanding that type of horror until they experience it for themselves. While yeah, they should have been reigned in, I would be more upset at the adults for allowing that to happen rather than the kids themselves who were acting from the very definition of innocence. You can know that something happened without being able to really process it.

The current economic conditions (2007-present) doesn't qualify as a tragedy? This is the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression.
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Never used the "lets hang out " phrase as far as dates go, might use it with female friends as have a couple of these who are close confidantes.

Then again never actually asked anyone out on a date. Have issues of self esteem and self confidence. My ex who was already part of the same social group made the first move (once i finally realised she was interested) by suggesting we just met up and chatted on our own to see how things went. Once we had decided there was something there I asked her out to dinner, for our first official date, but did tell her she would have to wait a week until my payday! She agreed and said it was the first time anyone had ever taken her out for a meal (had been with her ex for 15 years).

As far as has dating become more casual, I can't answer, but personally I always had in mind to ask her out for a meal very early on, and would do so again in the unlikely event of meeting anyone else. If they're not from same social group more likely to be sooner, although I think cinema trips etc are a good way to work out if you are compatible without the more intense situation of a dinner in a restaurant.
  • DMZ_1
    Options

I totally disagree that it's been initiated by women, although I do think women as a group haven't opposed it -- creating the situation where it is now the rule and not the exception. Our society things has gotten much more casual, dating included, and a lot of men have realized that they don't have to put out all the stops anymore and properly "court" a woman, and they can still get laid and have a good time without having to worry about formal dating, commitment, or anything else. And younger woman have come to accept this approach and view it as the norm, including the pressure to have sex on date three or sooner. I think it's really sad. I'm not really sure what you mean by women getting defensive about the word "date." Generally speaking, I think women do appreciate a proper date (yes, I know there are exceptions) when they like the guy. The only time I can see defensiveness happening and pushing a "hang out" label is when the woman really isn't that into the guy.

I feel like we're saying the same thing, but in wholly different ways.

I agree that there has been a push towards informality in a lot of aspects of life.

A large contingent of men consider having a good time and getting laid without formal dating, commitment or anything else to be a good thing. Since men are generally outcome oriented, this is perceived as a success for many men.

The word "date" does have different connotative meaning than "hang out" for sure, though I have never used the word "hang out". I let my actions on the date show that I am romantically interested in her.