Goal Pose for 2013

Options

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I would like to get from Chaturanga Dandasana to Urdhva Mukha Svanasana during sun salutations more gracefully and without having to do the "scooch of shame"! :)

Make your down dogs longer, that should help.
  • crosbymo
    crosbymo Posts: 15
    Options
    Ohh man! This is great, and reading everyone's goals makes it hard for me to choose! I'm going to go with unassisted tripod headstand and my dream pose is king pigeon... but I think that might take me years to get to with my hips.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have my lotus pose down with no problems, I would really like to strengthen my fingers so I can elevate more. Right now I have about an inch off the floor for less than 20 seconds. I would like to get higher and stronger in my elevation.

I am having a lot of trouble with chatarunga, however the last few days it's gotten stronger. Then eventually I would love to do Bakasana to Chaturanga then to the feathered peacock.

Through out the year I want to further work on my strength in balancing. While doing the tree pose with my right foot on the floor my ankle sometimes becomes weak after 4 or 5 minutes. So I am working on strengthening that foot. Left foot is eazy peazy.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I have my lotus pose down with no problems, I would really like to strengthen my fingers so I can elevate more. Right now I have about an inch off the floor for less than 20 seconds. I would like to get higher and stronger in my elevation.

I am having a lot of trouble with chatarunga, however the last few days it's gotten stronger. Then eventually I would love to do Bakasana to Chaturanga then to the feathered peacock.

Through out the year I want to further work on my strength in balancing. While doing the tree pose with my right foot on the floor my ankle sometimes becomes weak after 4 or 5 minutes. So I am working on strengthening that foot. Left foot is eazy peazy.

You're doing 5 minute tree poses? That's pretty intense.
  • Kpablo
    Kpablo Posts: 355 Member
    Options

You're doing 5 minute tree poses? That's pretty intense.

Well, actually. It's probably like 2-3 minutes. But crap it feel like 5 minutes. We normally go through the series of standing balancing poses. The typical tree pose, eagle pose, warrior 3, (i dont know the name of these poses) but when you move your knee to the side then extend your leg your and grab your toes, then close your knee and move your knee forward and extend your leg and grab your toes, then the one legged chair.

I really don't know how long all the takes. But I know it's hard for my right ankle even my balance gets all wonky on that foot.
  • jeansgirl
    jeansgirl Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would love it if the soles of my feet would finally reach the ground while doing down dog! They are gradually moving, but are still an inch of the ground. Who knows, they may touch ground in 2013!

I found out that if I do some serious grounding and hip opening poses first, I can get my feet on the floor. Sometimes I feel successful if I rock each foot to floor separately. But usually I can do it 1 day and not the next....I would love to feel that long in my legs and back all the time!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I would like - no - I plan to be able to rise slowly into a well controlled Tripod Headstand in the middle of the room and I would like to be able to kick up into a headstand against a wall or partner without them helping my hips over my hands.

That is my promise to myself for 2013.

I have acheived the first part of this plan, also the second part and I am looking now to consolidate both of these.

I have kept my promise to myself.
  • yoginimary
    Options

I have acheived the first part of this plan, also the second part and I am looking now to consolidate both of these.

I have kept my promise to myself.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: <--- that's chai tea, of course
  • mlouisecronin
    Options
    I love this idea-

I did full back bend (Wheel pose) unassisted for the first time ever! I've never even done partial wheel-so it was pretty amazing.

My goal for forever has been headstand against wall---I have been trying and fell every time-even assisted is hard for me.
  • ClaireESchultz
    Options
    I love the idea of having a goal pose for 2013 but as my focus for 2013 is to develop consistent lifestyle changes I think I will follow your lead and really focus on committing to consistently making Ashtanga primary series part of my daily routine and developing in that too :-)
    Much Love
    xoxo
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Well controlled headstand with both legs strait. I can get up in it and hang out for a few breathes but then I freak out and lose it. However just having the core awareness to get there was a huge victory!
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My goal pose for the end of the year is...was(?)... headstand. I got up into it today, didn't touch the wall at all, really pushed and straightened with my shoulders, and I stayed in easily for ten breaths. I actually came down after ten because I started feeling that freakout moment building up. Ahhh!!! So excited. I am going to continue working on it and get myself away from the wall. But it was very exciting. I blame all the core work from class yesterday.
  • Ennaelangels
    Ennaelangels Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to do a crow pose for over 1 second, and without falling on my face :)
  • yoginimary
    Options
    My goal pose for the end of the year is...was(?)... headstand. I got up into it today, didn't touch the wall at all, really pushed and straightened with my shoulders, and I stayed in easily for ten breaths. I actually came down after ten because I started feeling that freakout moment building up. Ahhh!!! So excited. I am going to continue working on it and get myself away from the wall. But it was very exciting. I blame all the core work from class yesterday.

Great job!
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Headstand with no wall was one of my goals this year too and I finally got it. I was getting more and more consistent at the wall and finally had to just go for it freestanding. I did it out in the grass in my front yard so I figured if I flopped over it wouldn't hurt as bad. :) And it's funny, but as soon as I went into it I think the lack of a wall made me feel so much more committed that it almost felt easy. And once I did it that first time now it's pretty easy to get up into headstand and stay there as long as I want to stay there. And even play around with my legs and do like eagle legs or straddles or things like that and it's really fun. Took what felt like forever to accomplish it though! :)

My other goal poses are Hanumanasana - I've made hugs progress (since I was so stiff to start), but still am probably 5" away from fully getting my hips to the ground. And handstands with no wall. I've only tried it without a wall within reach twice and it was really scary. Though I know I've tried the trick of picking up a hand if I'm falling over - and then it's like a cartwheel and you fall to that side rather than flipping all the way over. In the meantime I'm just working on doing them about 2' or so from the wall so I can still reach out with a foot if I need it.

I'd also love to be able to get into Lotus someday, but have arthritis in both knees and reconstructed ACLs, so that's extremely slow going. Rather than being a goal pose, it's almost more a sense of not being closed to the idea that someday it might happen and I'm just going to pay attention to my body and work on it very slowly and carefully.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would love it if the soles of my feet would finally reach the ground while doing down dog! They are gradually moving, but are still an inch of the ground. Who knows, they may touch ground in 2013!

You are not the only one.
    But, I have just come to accept my limitation. I work on it. But I don't fret about not getting it.
  • yoginimary
    Options
    Headstand with no wall was one of my goals this year too and I finally got it. I was getting more and more consistent at the wall and finally had to just go for it freestanding. I did it out in the grass in my front yard so I figured if I flopped over it wouldn't hurt as bad. :) And it's funny, but as soon as I went into it I think the lack of a wall made me feel so much more committed that it almost felt easy. And once I did it that first time now it's pretty easy to get up into headstand and stay there as long as I want to stay there. And even play around with my legs and do like eagle legs or straddles or things like that and it's really fun. Took what felt like forever to accomplish it though! :)

Yay!
  • agdyl
    Options

You are not the only one.
    But, I have just come to accept my limitation. I work on it. But I don't fret about not getting it.

I think that is so key with yoga (and life!). It's great to have goal poses (or things like getting your heels down in down dog) but I find that counterintuitively, I make more progress when I let go of feeling like I need to make progress. If I work on it consistently, but let myself accept that it might never change and can live with that - sometimes I wind up having those breakthroughs when I least expect it.

And as an update - we did a whole class last night building up to hanumanasana, which is one of my goals. I'm kind of lopsided (left hamstring is more open than the right), but inching my way closer to the ground! :)
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    To expand on my goal of splits... I really want to be able to deepen my wide legged seated forward fold. I can get my forearms down, but I can't quite hinge from the hips to be flat on the floor, and I can't get my legs any wider than what looks like a pizza slice. :)

One thing I've noticed recently is the surface on which I'm practicing has a HUGE impact on my ability to hold certain poses; specifically, balance poses. I never realized it until my studio moved to a new place with lovely synthetic tatami floors. They are kind of squishy, and until that point I hadn't noticed that I have only ever practiced on hardwoods (with my mat of course). It's almost as if I have to learn all over again... transitioning from tree to warrior 3 and back again (in a flow) is much harder on softer surfaces. So I plan to expand my practice locations to include my yard, the gym mat, or wherever might have a different hardness.
  • agdyl
    Options
    I know what you mean! I did yoga at a friends house and we practiced on the carpet and it was crazy how different it was. But now I do practice in the grass at home occasionally and it's good to add a little surface variety in. And I think as a general rule, (assuming you want to keep improving and not just maintain) if your balance poses seem easy, it's time to mix it up. Close your eyes, stand on a cushion, move your head around...