Exercise calories? Again? WTF

Options

Replies

• kmalex
    kmalex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. This is the simplest explanation I have seen so far. If you don't mind, I have one more question for you. Since you seem to have it figured out. :)

When I set goals through MFP it asks me for my planned exercise. Should I tell it that I work out 5 days a week for an hour a day? Currently, I told it that I don't work out, then I log my workouts, and I eat all my net calories. I am happily losing weight, but not as fast as I had hoped (47 lbs in 2 years).

My concern is: When I tell it what my planned weekly workouts/hours are it adjusts my every day calories. Then when I log my workouts it adjust my net calories for the specific day. This makes me feel like I have counted the same workout twice, and ate the same calories back twice, thereby decreasing my deficit.

For example: My daily calories are 1340. If I burn 400 working out, then I eat 1740 and have a deficit of 560 calories for the day (based on my TDEE using the average of several different calculators). But if that 1340 that MPF gives me already takes my 400 calorie burn into account because I told it I planned to work out when I set my goals, then I have eaten 400 EXTRA calories and only created a deficit of 160 calories for the day. And if I ever skipped a workout then I would have a caloric credit which I definitely don't want.

I have searched the forums but no one seems to have a concise answer to this question. Does MPF take the caloric outgo of planned work outs into account when setting daily calorie goals? If not, then why ask for them?

I am concerned that maybe my weight loss is slow because I am not eating enough. But, I don't want to add my planned workouts into my goal planning area without understanding the formula because I am worried I will stall my weight loss completely by eating more calories. Even slow loss is still the right direction.

Any input you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. This is the simplest explanation I have seen so far. If you don't mind, I have one more question for you. Since you seem to have it figured out. :)

When I set goals through MFP it asks me for my planned exercise. Should I tell it that I work out 5 days a week for an hour a day? Currently, I told it that I don't work out, then I log my workouts, and I eat all my net calories. I am happily losing weight, but not as fast as I had hoped (47 lbs in 2 years).

My concern is: When I tell it what my planned weekly workouts/hours are it adjusts my every day calories. Then when I log my workouts it adjust my net calories for the specific day. This makes me feel like I have counted the same workout twice, and ate the same calories back twice, thereby decreasing my deficit.

For example: My daily calories are 1340. If I burn 400 working out, then I eat 1740 and have a deficit of 560 calories for the day (based on my TDEE using the average of several different calculators). But if that 1340 that MPF gives me already takes my 400 calorie burn into account because I told it I planned to work out when I set my goals, then I have eaten 400 EXTRA calories and only created a deficit of 160 calories for the day. And if I ever skipped a workout then I would have a caloric credit which I definitely don't want.

I have searched the forums but no one seems to have a concise answer to this question. Does MPF take the caloric outgo of planned work outs into account when setting daily calorie goals? If not, then why ask for them?

I am concerned that maybe my weight loss is slow because I am not eating enough. But, I don't want to add my planned workouts into my goal planning area without understanding the formula because I am worried I will stall my weight loss completely by eating more calories. Even slow loss is still the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

The planned exercise does not impact anything except the 'in 5 weeks you will weigh XXXlb' predictor.
  • kmalex
    kmalex Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • latinstarlite1
    latinstarlite1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sadly I have nothing to add.... so ... BUMP...lol
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

The planned exercise does not impact anything except the 'in 5 weeks you will weigh XXXlb' predictor.

Actually, what it does is tell you how well you have achieved your goal of exercising X days / X hours per week. So let's say you plan on burning 1000 cal per week doing 200 per day for 5 days each week. When you log a cardio exercise, it will indicate how many hours and how many calories burned for that day over what your goal for the day was, and then do the same thing for your weekly total. It does not affect the calorie goal at all, because MFP assumes that you will eat more calories on days that you exercise; the deficit is already built into your goal, and exercise could give you too much of a deficit if you eat too much. But now I'm repeating the OP, so I guess I'm done!
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump - good stuff!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thanks in advance!

Actually, what it does is tell you how well you have achieved your goal of exercising X days / X hours per week. So let's say you plan on burning 1000 cal per week doing 200 per day for 5 days each week. When you log a cardio exercise, it will indicate how many hours and how many calories burned for that day over what your goal for the day was, and then do the same thing for your weekly total. It does not affect the calorie goal at all, because MFP assumes that you will eat more calories on days that you exercise; the deficit is already built into your goal, and exercise could give you too much of a deficit if you eat too much. But now I'm repeating the OP, so I guess I'm done!

Yes, but that does not impact anything except the 5 week predictor.
  • sxy_nerd
    sxy_nerd Posts: 5
    Options
    Bump, because I need to read this over and over and over!!
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • niseynisey
    niseynisey Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this VERY informative post! I took everything into consideration & you are correct.. I really should be eating back the calories if I follow MFP's design. I've hit a plateau, so I'll give it a shot!! I use a heartrate monitor, so I will begin to track my workouts on here again & eat back those calories. I will report back in 1 months time! LOL! ^_^ Thanks again!
    BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The number of calories you burn at complete rest.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.
    NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of activity that is not planned exercise. Vacuuming, driving, brushing your teeth, for example.
    TEF/DIT (Thermic Effect of Feeding or Diet Induced Thermogenesis): Caloric expense of eating/digestion.
    TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) = Sum of the above. BMR+EAT+NEAT+TEF

If you are using MFP to tell you how much to eat, that estimate is NOT going to include EAT as part of the intake estimate.

Myfitnesspal uses a caloric estimation tool that expects you to eat back calories burned during exercise.

Consequently, MFP will essentially give you a LOWER intake estimate than an external TDEE calculator would give you.

In other words:

You tell MFP: I'd like to lose 1lb/week.

MFP says: Hey, you should eat X calories every day to lose 1lb/week.

You then decide to exercise and you burn 400 calories.

MFP says: Hey you pecker, you said you wanted to lose 1lb/week. Now you need to eat X+400 because you told me you wanted to lose 1lb/week.

So based on this:

If you are using MFP to tell you how many calories to eat, you should be eating back some of your exercise calories.

If you are using an external calculator and then customizing your intake to match that, you should not be eating back your exercise calories.
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

In other words:

You tell MFP: I'd like to lose 1lb/week.

MFP says: Hey, you should eat X calories every day to lose 1lb/week.

You then decide to exercise and you burn 400 calories.

MFP says: Hey you pecker, you said you wanted to lose 1lb/week. Now you need to eat X+400 because you told me you wanted to lose 1lb/week.

I'm going to have to read this again when the kids aren't around to understand this whole post better, but this quote totally made sense to me. Thank you!
  • aspalmer3
    aspalmer3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome! So glad to have some confirmation that Im doing the right thing! Thanks!!
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Great post. I have always used the TDEE minus method. Just fits me better.

I got a FitBit 35 days ago and it has been remarkably accurate. Past 35 days (average): intake 2,793 cal / day, FitBit calories burned 2,793 cal / day. Weight is the same. Although my BF% has gone down.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Good Post!
  • FitterTerri
    FitterTerri Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'd like to stay below a 600 calorie deficit for my BMR's sake. In saying this, I had previously been overestimating my weight lifting calories immensely - thinking I'd burn 400 calories in an hour when it most likely was 100-150. My former problem had been consuming more calories than I had burned, thus shortening my deficit to cause a slower progress. Now that I've recognized my error and only use my HRM for cardio only (or if used for weightlifting, only account for a 1/4th of what I burned), I wanted to see if I fully understand this and if it's really all as basic as it seems. :wink:

I wear a HRM when lifting weights (the majority of my workouts) and have been relying on the numbers it gives me. By reading the above comment, I am assuming that the numbers are incorrect for my lifting workouts. Is this true and why is it so? I usually burn around 200-250 for an hours workout (up around 300 when I do a big leg workout). Why would the HRM be accurate for a cardio workout but not a weight workout?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'd like to stay below a 600 calorie deficit for my BMR's sake. In saying this, I had previously been overestimating my weight lifting calories immensely - thinking I'd burn 400 calories in an hour when it most likely was 100-150. My former problem had been consuming more calories than I had burned, thus shortening my deficit to cause a slower progress. Now that I've recognized my error and only use my HRM for cardio only (or if used for weightlifting, only account for a 1/4th of what I burned), I wanted to see if I fully understand this and if it's really all as basic as it seems. :wink:

I wear a HRM when lifting weights (the majority of my workouts) and have been relying on the numbers it gives me. By reading the above comment, I am assuming that the numbers are incorrect for my lifting workouts. Is this true and why is it so? I usually burn around 200-250 for an hours workout (up around 300 when I do a big leg workout). Why would the HRM be accurate for a cardio workout but not a weight workout?

Because lifting raises your heart rate without the commensurate energy expenditure that you get with cardio.
  • FitterTerri
    Options
    O.K. So if my HRM says that I do say a 200 calorie burn, how many cals do you think would be a more accurate estimate of calories burnt? Should I go with 1/4 as previously mentioned?

I have hit a bit of a plateau and maybe my inaccuracy of weight training cals (I weight train 5 days per week) might be why.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    O.K. So if my HRM says that I do say a 200 calorie burn, how many cals do you think would be a more accurate estimate of calories burnt? Should I go with 1/4 as previously mentioned?

I have hit a bit of a plateau and maybe my inaccuracy of weight training cals (I weight train 5 days per week) might be why.

While HRMs are generally not accurate for lifting, 200 calories an hour is a conservative estimate.

Do you weigh your food and log absolutely everything!
  • FitterTerri
    Options
    Yes - to the point where my hubby gets annoyed at me for the length of time it takes me to cook dinner and pack my lunch etc.

I must admit that I haven't been eating back my exercise cals though. I have been trawling through the forums trying to figure out whether to eat them back or not and have gotten completely confused. So it was great when I came across your threads.