thanks so much!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    MFP has never called me a pecker. I feel so neglected. :cry:
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you base your caloric intake on your TDEE you're actually eating your exercise calories back because they figured in the calculation, correct? I've based my TDEE on active and am eating at a defecit to drop the last of my fat. I eat -20% of my TDEE but me TDEE is figured as active which includes an estimate of the calories I burn exercising.

I've set MFP for this umber as this seems simplest.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    MFP has never called me a pecker. I feel so neglected. :cry:

MFP has never called me a pecker either but called me a mod called me a member. Someone reported me for saying penis in a thread. A mod emailed me saying that penis wasn't a word to be used in a genral forum. He went on to say that I was a valued forum member.

I replied with you can call me a member but I can't say penis???
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you base your caloric intake on your TDEE you're actually eating your exercise calories back because they figured in the calculation, correct? I've based my TDEE on active and am eating at a defecit to drop the last of my fat. I eat -20% of my TDEE but me TDEE is figured as active which includes an estimate of the calories I burn exercising.

I've set MFP for this umber as this seems simplest.

Basically, yes. I prefer it that way myself.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AnaVerasGettingFit
    AnaVerasGettingFit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Bump for the awesomeness to be found in here.
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    What about those of us that are very active? I enjoy boxing and wrestling as well as walking, running, cycling, weight lifting. Because I don't drive cutting down on my activities is not a option. I also do home care, my client weighs 213lbs I bath her, turn her in the bed and push her in her wheelchair as well as stretch her.
    I know I don't eat enough, it only took 3 doctors telling me that for me to get the message. I got my numbers up to 1500+ calories most days but my hrm says my daily exercise burns between 1500-4000 a day, because eeven on a rest day I have to walk to/from work and the grocery store etc.
    How much do I need to eat to stop losing muscle?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What about those of us that are very active? I enjoy boxing and wrestling as well as walking, running, cycling, weight lifting. Because I don't drive cutting down on my activities is not a option. I also do home care, my client weighs 213lbs I bath her, turn her in the bed and push her in her wheelchair as well as stretch her.
    I know I don't eat enough, it only took 3 doctors telling me that for me to get the message. I got my numbers up to 1500+ calories most days but my hrm says my daily exercise burns between 1500-4000 a day, because eeven on a rest day I have to walk to/from work and the grocery store etc.
    How much do I need to eat to stop losing muscle?

This is more a calorie setting question - have a read of the thread linked at the bottom of the OP. Those numbers sound really really high - I would look at the section that explains looking at your actual results.
  • tanyaleighcummings
    Options
    I have been macro cycling the past few months: 3 days low carb/2 days slow carb/one day high carb/one day off All with precise logging. I measure everything. Over the past year I have stopped losing weight and watched my fat percentage creep up...eating my muscle mass.

Every so often I read something new and give that a go...I am just gaining and losing the same 10 lbs over and over.
    Many workout injuries too: hurt my knee adding an extra mile to my run at once and hobbled around on that until my foot got sprained...that kind of thing.

The equation you pointed me to puts me at 2200 calories. I will see what happens, I guess. Since I am not actually losing weight I can't work backwards that way.
  • progressnotperfection84
    Options
    Bumping for reference
  • psd091966
    psd091966 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This has the best info I have seen yet. Thank you so much.

I want to make sure I am doing this right... I just restarted on MFP last week. I put my weight in and said I was basically sedentary because of my desk job. It's telling me that in order to lose 2lbs a week then my caloric intake should be no more than 1270 a day. I have also noticed that the calories burned for cardio exercises are way over what my HRM tells me I burn.

I usually work out on an elliptical machine that I put in my weight and age and it tracks my calories burned based on the HRM on the machine. It is saying that I am burning 533 calories on a 50 minute workout. I am trying to work out at least 5 times a week.

Question 1 - should I be eating all of those calories back?
    question 2 - should I trust the machine or should I use my own HRM for calories I've burned?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I want to make sure I am doing this right... I just restarted on MFP last week. I put my weight in and said I was basically sedentary because of my desk job. It's telling me that in order to lose 2lbs a week then my caloric intake should be no more than 1270 a day. I have also noticed that the calories burned for cardio exercises are way over what my HRM tells me I burn.

I usually work out on an elliptical machine that I put in my weight and age and it tracks my calories burned based on the HRM on the machine. It is saying that I am burning 533 calories on a 50 minute workout. I am trying to work out at least 5 times a week.

question 2 - should I trust the machine or should I use my own HRM for calories I've burned?

Desk job =/= sedentary. The classifications of MFP are understated imo. I would set yourself to lightly active. I would use your HRM for your caloric burn and eat say 75% of them back (to account for any inaccuracies).

See what your results are over a 4 week period (your initial losses will be mainly water and food weight so needs to be ignored when looking at trend) and then see if you are losing at a predicted rate. If you are losing too quickly, eat more of your exercise calories back, if too slow, then eat less of them back. I would not look to go lower than eating 50% of them back unless its obvious from the trend that you are not losing much at all. Make sure you log accurately and weigh your food where possible.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have been macro cycling the past few months: 3 days low carb/2 days slow carb/one day high carb/one day off All with precise logging. I measure everything. Over the past year I have stopped losing weight and watched my fat percentage creep up...eating my muscle mass.

Every so often I read something new and give that a go...I am just gaining and losing the same 10 lbs over and over.
    Many workout injuries too: hurt my knee adding an extra mile to my run at once and hobbled around on that until my foot got sprained...that kind of thing.

The equation you pointed me to puts me at 2200 calories. I will see what happens, I guess. Since I am not actually losing weight I can't work backwards that way.

Are you eating more than 2,200 now? If you are eating less and are not losing, then eating more will not help you lose weight.
  • psd091966
    Options

Desk job =/= sedentary. The classifications of MFP are understated imo. I would set yourself to lightly active. I would use your HRM for your caloric burn and eat say 75% of them back (to account for any inaccuracies).

See what your results are over a 4 week period (your initial losses will be mainly water and food weight so needs to be ignored when looking at trend) and then see if you are losing at a predicted rate. If you are losing too quickly, eat more of your exercise calories back, if too slow, then eat less of them back. I would not look to go lower than eating 50% of them back unless its obvious from the trend that you are not losing much at all. Make sure you log accurately and weigh your food where possible.

Thank you so much. This really helps a lot. I noticed there is about 100 calorie difference between my HRM and the machines, I will start using mine from here on out or adjust accordingly. I have reset my MFP to lightly active and will go from there. This is more of a lifestyle change for me than just a diet. I want to get it right at the start so I don't gain back what I am losing.

Another question, as you can see I have A LOT of weight to lose, should I start incorporating weight/strength training yet or should I continue with just the cardio for now?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thank you so much. This really helps a lot. I noticed there is about 100 calorie difference between my HRM and the machines, I will start using mine from here on out or adjust accordingly. I have reset my MFP to lightly active and will go from there. This is more of a lifestyle change for me than just a diet. I want to get it right at the start so I don't gain back what I am losing.

Another question, as you can see I have A LOT of weight to lose, should I start incorporating weight/strength training yet or should I continue with just the cardio for now?

For someone with a significant amount of weight to lose, I would suggest a more circuit style resistance training routine. It will get you used to the weight room if you are not already used to it also. A circuit would be where you use resistance but keep up a fast pace (within reason) with low rest times and higher reps and move quickly (also within reason) between exercises. You generally do one set of one, move to another, do one set of those, move to another, and so on. When you have completed that circuit, you repeat (or pass out, as the case may be). Most of the DVDs out there are also similar in that they keep a fast pace and so would also be beneficial if you do not have access or do not want to go to a gym. As you lose weight, then moving towards a more 'standard' resistance training routine that includes progressive loading would be beneficial.
  • psd091966
    Options

For someone with a significant amount of weight to lose, I would suggest a more circuit style resistance training routine. It will get you used to the weight room if you are not already used to it also. A circuit would be where you use resistance but keep up a fast pace (within reason) with low rest times and higher reps and move quickly (also within reason) between exercises. You generally do one set of one, move to another, do one set of those, move to another, and so on. When you have completed that circuit, you repeat (or pass out, as the case may be). Most of the DVDs out there are also similar in that they keep a fast pace and so would also be beneficial if you do not have access or do not want to go to a gym. As you lose weight, then moving towards a more 'standard' resistance training routine that includes progressive loading would be beneficial.

I currently belong to the YMCA, but if you have a DVD that you could recommend I would really appreciate it. I currently have a bunch of Turbo Jam Videos. I wanted to try the Insanity videos, but didn't know if I was ready for that yet. Not sure if I'm ready for public classes yet. :bigsmile:
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    BUMP this bad boy!