Replies

• dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get that now! Thank you, Heybales! I will check out that spreadsheet when I get a chance.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Wow,@Heybales, that spreadsheet is detailed! I filled it in as best I could (I'm not a spreadsheet kind of gal) and it gave me a TDEG of 1327. Ugh, so low! I like to eat :-) but I guess because I'm short and don't have a lot to lose (15-20lbs) that is the reality. Plus I am lifting heavy 3x/wk. so water retention factors into my scale weight. guess I will have to up my cardio significantly. Thanks for your help.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Well, be aware that is for fat loss and muscle retention, not performance.
    That is like max deficit using some results from studies that show muscle mass could be retained despite the deficit.
    Like you got bigger deficit if just weight lifting, because a study showed that while lifting with enough protein intake, muscle was retained.
    The more you want performance and body transformation though, the closer to TDEE you want to eat.
    And if not a sedentary desk job, confirm you got some realistic hours of standing time if at home with kids or more active job.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Interesting stuff@ Heybales. I'm experimenting with my TDEG. Yesterday was right in the middle between that max. deficit & TDEE.
  • Raansom21
    Raansom21 Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Help. I am new to this whole thing. I have about 80 lbs to lose. I am trying to figure out the protein, carb and fat ratio. I am confused.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Raansom21 wrote: »
    Help. I am new to this whole thing. I have about 80 lbs to lose. I am trying to figure out the protein, carb and fat ratio. I am confused.
    Read the original first post again. You've got to figure out if you want to eat back exercise calories or just set a calorie goal. I've found that my exercise is pretty consistent so I just set a calorie goal and don't worry about exercise calories burned and eating them back.
    For you macros, consider 0.8 to 1 gram protein per pound of lean body mass as a minimum. Example: 200lb person at 30% body fat would want to eat about 112 to 140 grams of protein. That would be about 448-560 calories from protein.
    Fat should be about 0.3 grams per pound. Example: 200lb person would eat about 60 grams of fat, 540 calories.
    Total calories for moderate weight loss should be about 10-12 calories per pound. Example: 200lb person total calories = 2,000-2,400.
    So, easy math: 2,000 calories - 448 protein calories - 540 fat calories = 1,012 calories remain for carbs, ~253 grams of carbs.
    ~50%Carb, ~27%fat, ~23%protein
    You really shouldn't eat much less fat or protein but you can eat more fat and protein and less carbs.
    Hope that helps.

• Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Still an AWESOME post! Very helpful!
  • mabelcbeltran
    mabelcbeltran Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just found this post! and it is great! so much makes sense now. Although I am still a bit confused about setting the macros.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    *big applause*
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    What about protein after a person has lost their excess weight?
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    joanfrye wrote: »
    I also find this confusing. I weight160pounds with about 30% body fat. Based on your calculation, I should consume 112g protein/day (448calories) and 53g fat/day (480calories) or 928 calories from fat and protein. I am trying to lose weight and estimate 1,200 calories per day - this leaves 272 calories for carbs, or about 70 g. This would yield 48% protein, 23% fat and 30% carbs. Seems rather protein heavy to me. Or does your formula assume that someone is NOT trying to lose weight? In other words, should I reduce the grams of protein and fat. I always have this question when folks recommend how much of this or that someone should eat. I don't know if they're basing their answer on maintaining your weight or losing weight... Thanks.

Where are you getting 1,200 calories from?
    SToast wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    SToast wrote: »
    My calculated fat % came up higher than my protein %. Is that normal? It feels so wrong... Fat 24% and Protein 26%. Hubby's was Fat 35% Protein 25%. He's got quite a bit more weight to lose...

What are your stats, the total calories your are working with and how much do you have to lose?

1900 TDEE not trying to lose so much as increase muscle and lower body fat

Hubby TDEE 3400, trying to lose 70 lbs.

What are your stats? Also, what bf% are you assuming?

Cheers

• SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    30% for me, 36% for DH
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    maybe I am not doing something right. I am 206lbs and if I do the math my macros have me at 40% protein (159 grams), 40% fat (71 grams), and 20% carbs.

Carbs seem to low and fat seems to high. Protein I'm ok with
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    maybe I am not doing something right. I am 206lbs and if I do the math my macros have me at 40% protein (159 grams), 40% fat (71 grams), and 20% carbs.

Carbs seem to low and fat seems to high. Protein I'm ok with

Your calorie goal is probably pretty low then (I'm guessing 1600?). Carbs are going to suffer as a result. In a big calorie deficit, you need protein and fat for normal bodily functions, muscle repair/retention, etc but you don't need the carbs so they end up getting cut. If your low carbs are causing compliance issues then you may want to look at your overly aggressive deficit. Or just live with it, either way.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    K thanks, and yes 1580 is my goal (my actual ends up being higher with exercise)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    K thanks, and yes 1580 is my goal (my actual ends up being higher with exercise)

If that's the case, I'd fill the extra "earned" calories with carbs for sure. Personally, I just try to hit my fat and protein minimums, and then I eat whatever beyond that.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Hitting my protein seems to be the issue for me for some reason, but I'm working on it.

Thanks
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Hitting my protein seems to be the issue for me for some reason, but I'm working on it.

Thanks

When I am in a low calorie goal and have a blow it meal, sometimes protein shake is the only way I hit the protein/calorie goal. For instance today I was out and about, cold, sick and didn't want to cook when I got home so I hit McDonalds for Filet of fish and triple cheeseburger and hit 900 calories for only 46 grams of protein. A protein shake at 52 grams of protein and 260 calories was probably one of the few things I can keep shelf stable to make up protein. Of course two scoops of whey in coffee has pretty much 0 satiation so playing make up on protein with powders can leave you hungry and is not how I meet protein goals the vast majority of the time.