Primal / Paleo New Year goals...

Options
primalkiwi
primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
So it seems we survived the 21st Dec apocalypse and it's time to start thinking about New Year goals now that we know the world will continue...
What are everyone's New Year goals in relation to primal / paleo lifestyle?

Mine is simply to do one pull up.

Yep not kidding, just one. Even as a child this was my nemesis in the playground.
I have a fair bit of work to do to get to just one but I'm determined as part of an overall strength routine that I will conquer it!

Love to hear what everyone else's are!

Replies

• RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I like your goal! I think I'll aim for the same thing. Right now I'm doing the 30 day shred and some strength work, but I'll add that goal. It's attainable! We can do it!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I love your goal!!! And my steal it in the future!!! I'm conflicted on my new year's goal. Part of my really wants to train to run a 1/2 marathon, and part of me wants to tackle a lifting program (aka p90x, body revolution, something). My problem is I've work so hard to become a runner that I'm scared to start another program as I'm afraid I'll let that go! But I really need to work on strength. ugg. I'm so torn on my fitness goal. I can tell you that I plan to reach goal in 2013 (yep thank you paleo). It has taken me 17 months to lose 46 pounds but 16 of them have been since I started paleo in November. So I'm hoping to be at goal by the end of August!!!! Good luck to al in their goals.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Awesome goal!! mine is to really start the lifting..I've been doing the light ones, circuit, etc...but want to start deadlifts !!! What i've been doing has made a change...slowly...need more challenging weightlifting!
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If I can manage to make coconut milk kefir successfully (to replace the dairy kefir that I so love) then I will go Paleo and quit dairy in the new year.

So far I'm doing well on the no grains or pulses thing - but now that the family have also joined me I'm finding it more difficult to keep everybody's tastes and needs satisfied!

So my other New Year goal will be to explore lots of recipes from my new Paleo and Primal Cookbooks.....
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    1.abs before summer
    2. String together double unders ( really a cf goal)
    3. 15 unbroken regular pull-ups and 20 kipped
    4. 9% bf
    5. Get 3more people in my life to eat paleo.
  • singinangina87
    singinangina87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That has been my goal ever since I can remember making goals! I also want to be able to do 10 full push ups on my toes as well :-)
  • primalkiwi
    Options
    5. Get 3more people in my life to eat paleo.

This is fun and inspiring to see everyone's goals!
    Going to add the above to mine too - get 2 more people in my life to eat this way so I can streamline the cooking and get rid of all the temptations in the house. That might be an even tougher challenge than one pull up!
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Great idea!

My intentions are to try a new recipe each week (most weeks) from one of my awesome p/p cookbooks or blogs.

To be more impeccable with my food choices, no matter what.

To re-vamp my workouts (because I've gotten bored with what I have been doing.)

To get more sleep.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Salkeela,
    If I can manage to make coconut milk kefir successfully (to replace the dairy kefir that I so love) then I will go Paleo and quit dairy in the new year.

So far I'm doing well on the no grains or pulses thing - but now that the family have also joined me I'm finding it more difficult to keep everybody's tastes and needs satisfied!

So my other New Year goal will be to explore lots of recipes from my new Paleo and Primal Cookbooks.....

As far as kefir grains go, they really need animal milk to work well.; If you can get hold of raw, grass fed diary milk to make it with I'd suggest that, but if not, you may add some organic butter from grass fed cows to your kafir milk mix and see how that works.

Good luck!
  • primalkiwi
    Options

Salkeela - This might be helpful :-)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/homemade-coconut-milk-kefir/#axzz2FpgJ2k6i
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like this strain! I don't want to preach my ways on anyone else :) but I'd like to embrace a different side of Paleo/Primal lifestyle and incorporate more mindfulness, rest and peace into my life. I hope to also learn how to nap.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Salkeela - This might be helpful :-)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/homemade-coconut-milk-kefir/#axzz2FpgJ2k6i

Thanks...

I've just disovered that the brand of coconut milk I tried is not high enough in fat to make good kefir. So I've more on order & am going to try again soon....

Milk kefir is going to be difficult to match. I've had the current strain of grains for about a year now I think.... It may be I decided that milk products are not so bad afterall.....
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Encourage more people to eat paleo: good one! Thanks!
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I want to keep my diet tighter ( less cheats) so i can recover from my rotator cuff surgery in February faster and keep my weight at least steady during recovery. Then after that my goal is to rehab like Adrian Peterson and get back to crossfit as soon as it's safe.
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My goal is to tighten up my paleo diet with less slip ups (Whole 30, baby!), reduce my sugar cravings, and join Crossfit gym (already signed up for my introductory classes!).

Also, I want to perfect my paleo "elevator speech" so when people ask me about it, I sound informed but not preachy. I've converted one friend, lets get some more!
  • primalkiwi
    Options
    Whoop! I've just ticked off a whole lot of New Year goals in one move!

1 - move closer to the beach - found a little house right over the road from a beautiful safe swimming beach yesterday, there's loads of great walking and biking tracks all around with varied terrain and I can swim every day without having to drive to the beach, when I get a bit fitter I'll also be able to bike to work (there's a huge hill right at the start then it's a flat coastal ride). Love that I will be able to watch the sun rise over the bay every morning.

2 - living by myself again so I can focus deeply on my health and wellbeing, will no longer have to put up with the unhealthy temptations and soul destroying negative attitudes of those I have been living with

3 - living closer to friends in a really great coastal community

4 - finally get all my stuff out of storage after 5 years

5 - ......still got to achieve that one pull up!!

All the best for a healthy and happy 2013 everyone!
  • Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie so for now my goal is too learn about this lifestyle and incorporated some recipes.
  • Momwasix
    Momwasix Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie so for now my goal is too learn about this lifestyle and incorporated some recipes.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Whoop! I've just ticked off a whole lot of New Year goals in one move!

1 - move closer to the beach - found a little house right over the road from a beautiful safe swimming beach yesterday, there's loads of great walking and biking tracks all around with varied terrain and I can swim every day without having to drive to the beach, when I get a bit fitter I'll also be able to bike to work (there's a huge hill right at the start then it's a flat coastal ride). Love that I will be able to watch the sun rise over the bay every morning.

2 - living by myself again so I can focus deeply on my health and wellbeing, will no longer have to put up with the unhealthy temptations and soul destroying negative attitudes of those I have been living with

3 - living closer to friends in a really great coastal community

4 - finally get all my stuff out of storage after 5 years

5 - ......still got to achieve that one pull up!!

All the best for a healthy and happy 2013 everyone!

Congrats on the new home. It sounds terrific!

My goals aren't anything quite so nice. Just better health and fitness overall, and to kick the dairy and wine habits out of my diet completely.
  • amandavanvels
    amandavanvels Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hi, i'm new to myfitnesspal, so feel free to add me! :)

my goals for 2013:
    - keep eating paleo at least 95% of the time
    - climb a mountain (even if it's just a small one)
    - get down to my goal weight of 125 (i've only been trying for 2 years now...)
    - run a 10k
    - try to stop the binge eating completely
    - be more loving and caring towards people
    - go kayaking at least once
    - go on a 2 month long road trip
    - go tent camping