Age at diagnosis?

Options
124»

Replies

• nznatural
    nznatural Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    6 days old - it was picked up in the heel prick test (luckily!)
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was just shy of 42 when I was diagnosed with Graves and Hashimotos. Think I had it about 9 months to a year before I was diagnosed. Went in to doctor's for a sinus infection and had a resting heart rate of 110 and doctor also noticed a goiter. Went to the Endo and was told I was "off the charts Hyper." He gave me my number back then, but didn't really know what it meant at the time and no longer remember. Lost my mother unexpectedly at that time so my worries were elsewhere.

Was on medication (methimazole) to put it into "remission" and did well with that for about 6 months then developed an allergic reaction to the medication. Had RAI and then another several months to see how much of the thyroid was killed off.

Been a while sorting out the levels, but finally starting to feel more like my old (younger) self -- at least having more energy at the end of a long workday. Still have lots of the Hypo symptoms (sensitivity to cold), dry skin, etc.

Going back to the endo in March and will make sure he is testing for T3 and T4 to see where all my levels are as I have no idea what they are.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I just turned 43 when I go the diagnosis. I am 44 now.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Hypo-diagnosed in Feb of this year (age 33). Have always been cold natured since childhood. Anxiety and few other symptoms started appearing in mid 20s, weight gain late 20s (just figured it was due to aging). Doctors only checked my tsh levels and was always told they were normal. When I couldn't lose the weight with exercise, like I used to and realized how miserable I was feeling, I decided to get a second opinion on my bloodwork.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed at 25 (after having to threaten to sue the doctor to get him to even run the damn blood test), but had symptoms for 7+ years before that. I am now 37.
  • LizGozza
    LizGozza Posts: 45
    Options
    I was 24, but had been experiencing symptoms for about a year and a half. My Endo thinks I've had a series of 'episodes' where my thyroid didn't work so well and then did for a while so hard to tell how long it really was.
    my main symptoms were fatigue, depression, and of course weight gain and inability to lose. And when I say rapid weight gain I mean it, 60 pounds over 5 months.
    (no offense others who have gained weight, but 1-2 pounds a month is not rapid weight gain. I keep seeing people saying they rapidly gained over several years at a rate of 1-2 pounds a month and it makes me want to punch things)
  • jasmine_20
    jasmine_20 Posts: 26
    Options
    hi everyone i am 22 years old and was diagnosed in november of last year and then i was hospitalized with multiple blood clots from my right hip down to my foot so its been a struggle to lose the weight due to all the swelling and my doctor told me that my thyroid problem is genetic
  • Chelsearenee9
    Chelsearenee9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was 19-20 when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Quickly gained 50+ pounds and was tired all the time, which in turn lead me to making a doctor appointment.
  • boophil
    boophil Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was 30 when I was diagnosed during an infertility workup. I'm 41 now and have been on synthroid ever since.
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 24 but had symptoms for about 8 months.
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was 24, but had been experiencing symptoms for about a year and a half. My Endo thinks I've had a series of 'episodes' where my thyroid didn't work so well and then did for a while so hard to tell how long it really was.
    my main symptoms were fatigue, depression, and of course weight gain and inability to lose. And when I say rapid weight gain I mean it, 60 pounds over 5 months.
    (no offense others who have gained weight, but 1-2 pounds a month is not rapid weight gain. I keep seeing people saying they rapidly gained over several years at a rate of 1-2 pounds a month and it makes me want to punch things)

I gained at nearly the same rate you did. Over the course of 3-4 months I gained 40 lbs. It was crazy! Initially my doctor took my fatigue symptoms as depression, thereby causing the weight gain. I've lost the weight since and I hope you're feeling better!
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This has actually answered questions I have had throughout the years. When I was just 14 I began suffering from depression and anxiety. Over the early adult years my mood would become erratic and at 19 I was diagnosed with Chronic fatigue disorder, I couldn't even hold a job. By age 24 I a was diagnosed Bipolar due to the changes in mood and anxiety and have remained on medication ever since with little or no change in being able to get a balance.
    I began in my around 30 to lose a nice bit of my hair ,only able to work afternoons, still go through depression and have anxiety.I had put on a nice bit of weight . I am cold a lot also.I am almost 43 and it wasn't til 4 years ago a doctor checked not only my TSH which had always been normal, but my T3 and T4showed I am hypo.I have been taking medication ever since .I still find I get depressed at time , have some anxiety and get tired in the mornings especially. I have stopped losing my hair and can't seem to lose many pounds.

I am dizzy a lot and light headed and have always shrugged it off as my diabetes even thought when I check my sugars they are fine .Something to look into . Thanks for that info.
  • brandygburke
    brandygburke Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    33 (just last week)...
  • LizGozza
    LizGozza Posts: 45
    Options
    It was definitely my most noticeable symptom, and biggest heartache. Its been about 4 months since I was diagnosed, I'm up to 1.25 grains and nearly at maintaining level :)
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid at 11 (before puberty), and have been on some form of medication since. I am now 27 and on 137 of synthroid and it seems to be finally leveling off, haven't had to get it changed in over a year and a half, until now I was getting dosage upped about every 8-12 months.