January Check in and Chat - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Options

Replies

• darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to say this morning (shocker!) except for the fact that I just busted through the 50# OHP stall! Whoop whoop me!

Happy Monday ladies :)

Nice Job!!!! That seems like the hard one for everyone no matter what weight they stall. I already have my fractional weights ready!

Nice!!! I'm stalled at 50 right now myself for OHP - keep trying more for my first rep - but nope, still at 50! So awesome work!!! Darn you OHP!!
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My question is...do you ladies use straps or anything for deadlifts and barbell rows? I've got freakishly small hands (my 7 year old's hands are almost the size of mine) and I'm struggling to hold the bar for heavier than what I'm at. I'm using the mixed grip on the deadlift, but not sure if that's "allowed". What are you all doing???

I totally get this because I constantly refer to my hands as child sized hands....it's ridiculous!! I don't even fit in a ladies small glove - if there's extra small, sometimes I fit in that, but even those are too big. I shop in the children's section for my handwear.

I took the advice of the other awesome ladies in here and started working on my grip through other exercises. The farmer's hold/walk whatever, youtube it and it will show you, also just holding on to my deadlift for a few extra seconds really helps out as well. Plus I do a weighted sidebend to help with my grip, which I also successively go up in weight, that has really helped my grip strength. I am at 30 now for that, and whereas that was so hard for me to hold before, now I can for all my sets (3 each side, 12 reps) and can probably go up to 35 my next workout. These have really worked for me.....

and our hands aren't freakishly small - their just proportionally challenged :) Seriously though, I was surprised how small mine were when I was being sized for my engagement ring...SIZE 5??? It's ridiculous.

Good luck!!!
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    Well today was not a SL day for me however I decided (due to the Biggest Loser and my love for JM) that I would go back to my DVD roots and do a Ripped in 30, week 4 workout this morning. Sweet Jesus she is a lunatic! Just when I think that I've gotten my fitness to a new level....BAM I'm reminded that there is still so much to accomplish! Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about it......but a little irritated that I got my *kitten* kicked so bad lol

Have a great day Ladies!

I've decided I hate the concept of the biggest loser - but that I can stand it for the ocassional exercise and motivational tool....as long as I understand I will NEVER lose 10 lbs in a given week, at least in a healthy manner.

The one thing I took away from it was doing those box jump thingies. I'm curious if I can do that - what is it, vertical jumps? I've never done one, and I have short stub legs....I see lotsa cross fit ladies doing those...and what are those squats they do over the heads? What are those called???? Trainer Bob dude had his people doing that stuff yesterday.

Dork out.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Whoa, I had a lot of catching up to do....a lot of great progress and some new faces this week.
    You ladies are kicking @$$ and are really motivating! Not a whole lot of new to report. I have been plugging away at my 5x5 Hybrid Workouts. Current lifts are as follows:

Deadlifts: 5x155, 4x160, 3x155
    Rack Pulls: 3x5x190
    OHP: 3x5x60, 3x60, 2x60 (I really want to bust through 60 on my next workout)

Squats: 5x5x85 ATG (after leg extention warmups: 3x20x50)
    Bench Reg.: 3x5x70
    Bench Close Grip: 3x70, 4x65, 4x65
    Assisted Pullups: 3x5x -42lb

I got rid of rows, as my legs are jello after my warm ups and squats, and I am really wanting to do pullups. I sub in assisted pullups for rows now.

Then I do supersetted hanging situps and weighted hyperextions to improve core at the end of every workout.

Somone was asking about thumb vs. thumbless grip - I switched over to thumbless and find that it puts a lot less pressure on my wrists. Before, it was getting really painful as the bar kinda rolled down...so I like thumbless :)
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Audii, I forget where I read it, but I think Mehdi recommended that if you like deads and want to do more of them, you can do up to four warm up sets at lower reps. I was also wondering if you are doing warm up sets on your squats - if you do a couple at maybe half of the weight you expect to do that day, it makes your full weight lifts easier.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Well, most of the warm up recommendations I saw were with the empty bar, which is what my real weight is. So for now I'm warming up doing a few minutes on cardio and then lifting. I figured I could then switch to empty bar sets as warm up when I start adding on more weight. Do y'all recommend using dumbbells maybe to split the difference and get a lighter weight warm up?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Well today was not a SL day for me however I decided (due to the Biggest Loser and my love for JM) that I would go back to my DVD roots and do a Ripped in 30, week 4 workout this morning. Sweet Jesus she is a lunatic! Just when I think that I've gotten my fitness to a new level....BAM I'm reminded that there is still so much to accomplish! Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset about it......but a little irritated that I got my *kitten* kicked so bad lol

Have a great day Ladies!

I've decided I hate the concept of the biggest loser - but that I can stand it for the ocassional exercise and motivational tool....as long as I understand I will NEVER lose 10 lbs in a given week, at least in a healthy manner.

The one thing I took away from it was doing those box jump thingies. I'm curious if I can do that - what is it, vertical jumps? I've never done one, and I have short stub legs....I see lotsa cross fit ladies doing those...and what are those squats they do over the heads? What are those called???? Trainer Bob dude had his people doing that stuff yesterday.

Dork out.

Box jumps are literally just...jumping up onto a step or specially built box. You can and should use very short ones and work your way up. But, on Stronglifts you probably won't have a lot of leg power left for these - since SL has you squatting 3x a week its pretty exhausting on the legs.

Squats where you hold the weight over your head could be just plain overhead squats (holding the bar or dumbbell straight up and squatting) or it could be that you're seeing pictures of people at the bottom of a snatch? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snatch_(weightlifting)

They are really difficult as they require a ton of stabilization.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Clarita. This is my first post in this group. I wanted to introduce myself and gain accountability and motivation from this group. I am a frequent poster on mfp and serious about my fitness. I like encouraging other people.

I'm 5'7" tall, currently 155 pounds, and my goal weight is 140 pounds plus decreased body fat. I want a higher butt and smaller thighs and arms. I'm an hourglass shape. I just finished a 6-week circuit training dvd series that has squats, lunges, pushups etc. For my next phase I've decided I want to start heavier weightlifting, inspired by stronglifts. I will be doing it at home either with dumbells or with a bar we have that's not an olympic bar.

My January goals are:
    - weight lift 2-3x a week
    - run, minimum once a week
    - move over 10,000 steps every day
    - I've decided to tighten up my eating for the next three weeks to see if I can drop more weight. I was eating out a lot so I really didn't know how many calories I was getting.

2013 goal: let go of stress and choose to be happy!

I started lifting weights last week. The two workouts I did were:
    1) 5x10 deadlifts 40 lbs; 5x10 squats/plies 40 lbs; 4x8 diagonal/ski squats 20 lbs; 5x10+6 to failure overhead press w/24 lbs; 3x8+2 pushups; plank.
    2) 5x8 deadlifts 40 lbs, 5x6 squats 40 lbs, 5x6 overhead press 40 lbs, 5x5 one-armed rows 15 lbs, pushups, plank.

Do pushups do the same thing as bench press?

Please feel free to friend me, look at my food diary, comment and give your advice on my lifting and eating.

Thanks!!
  • a_vettestingray
    Options

and our hands aren't freakishly small - their just proportionally challenged :) Seriously though, I was surprised how small mine were when I was being sized for my engagement ring...SIZE 5??? It's ridiculous.

<----4.5 here, lol. Itty Bitty Lady Fingers.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a muscle disease but so far managing to do stronglifts besides the overhead press. Will it matter too much if I leave these out or could I substitute for something else.

At the moment I am doing squats 20kg, bench press 15kgs, barbell rows 20kg, Deadlifts 45kg
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    Welcome Clarita and Mads.

I will let some more educated ladies answer your questions about substitutions...

I just wanted to say hi and welcome! :-D
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Okay...thanks for the tip! On my way to score some chalk!! :)
  • riouxt
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

My question is...do you ladies use straps or anything for deadlifts and barbell rows? I've got freakishly small hands (my 7 year old's hands are almost the size of mine) and I'm struggling to hold the bar for heavier than what I'm at. I'm using the mixed grip on the deadlift, but not sure if that's "allowed". What are you all doing???

I totally get this because I constantly refer to my hands as child sized hands....it's ridiculous!! I don't even fit in a ladies small glove - if there's extra small, sometimes I fit in that, but even those are too big. I shop in the children's section for my handwear.

I took the advice of the other awesome ladies in here and started working on my grip through other exercises. The farmer's hold/walk whatever, youtube it and it will show you, also just holding on to my deadlift for a few extra seconds really helps out as well. Plus I do a weighted sidebend to help with my grip, which I also successively go up in weight, that has really helped my grip strength. I am at 30 now for that, and whereas that was so hard for me to hold before, now I can for all my sets (3 each side, 12 reps) and can probably go up to 35 my next workout. These have really worked for me.....

Good luck!!!

Hahaha. Awesome. I should probably do more while I'm at home. I will definitely just practice holding those stupid heavy dumbells. What a pain. :) Okay...I like your term. Proportinally challenged it is! lol.
  • riouxt
    Options

<----4.5 here, lol. Itty Bitty Lady Fingers.

I LOVE that I'm not the only one with small hands. :) Why does that always make one feel better to have company? :)
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    I wanted to share my success so far with stronglifts - been doing it since about November or so - and as of today, I realized that I have lost 11 inches from my waist since November and also gained 9 lbs of lean body mass. I'm so stoked! It makes me really look forward to the coming year and what gains I'll make and how my body will change the further in I get. I didn't want to share it in the forums, but thought I'd share with you ladies -

Here's the link....

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q719/Sarah_Jilk/Janbod_zps3b16353e.jpg
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    I can't get it to post the picture correctly - I'm so bad at all that stuff.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Mads - I need more info, what prevents you from doing the press? I'm sure we could think of some substitutes but I don't want to suggest anything that will have the same issues.

Clarita - it depends on what you mean by "the same" I guess. Kind of? But you can't add weight to a pushup (well, some people suggest a weighted vest but even that has its limits) and also it depends on the type of pushup, and also pushups require a lot of other strength. What's your goal with this lifting plan? Are you trying to get stronger? What movements are you trying to get stronger at? Is this meant to be more of a bodybuilding routine?

rioux - If you're working out at a public gym (I don't remember what your set up is) i have something called an eco-ball, its a chalk substitute for places you can't use chalk.

also, I apparently have gigantic hands. But chalk still helps. I usually go to chalk first, then mixed grip with chalk, then straps (but so far I haven't needed straps, that's just my plan for when I feel like I do).
  • tameko2
    Options
    Darwin - great pics! I can see a difference everywhere, of course, but I think one of the best ones is that you've got some visible muscle in your shoulders and traps/upper back and also arms - and it just makes you look stronger and tighter across there and makes your arm look firmer too (if that makes sense). It also looks like maybe you lost some size on your arm?

I really hope I get good results this year. Last year I was really inconsistent with my food in the latter half and didn't make a whole lot of progress the last 3 months of the year. First 3 months of this year I want to get back to where I was, fitting a comfy size 8 in everything (as opposed to now with this little muffin top, sigh). Then we'll see if I can push down my size again. I really want to drop about 10lbs of fat. Might correspond to a large 6 small 8 in my current brands.
  • a_vettestingray
    Options
    Dawrin - your boobs are perkier, lol.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Mads - I need more info, what prevents you from doing the press? I'm sure we could think of some substitutes but I don't want to suggest anything that will have the same issues.

Clarita - it depends on what you mean by "the same" I guess. Kind of? But you can't add weight to a pushup (well, some people suggest a weighted vest but even that has its limits) and also it depends on the type of pushup, and also pushups require a lot of other strength. What's your goal with this lifting plan? Are you trying to get stronger? What movements are you trying to get stronger at? Is this meant to be more of a bodybuilding routine?

This ^^^ :)