January Check in and Chat - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Options

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I wanted to share my success so far with stronglifts - been doing it since about November or so - and as of today, I realized that I have lost 11 inches from my waist since November and also gained 9 lbs of lean body mass. I'm so stoked! It makes me really look forward to the coming year and what gains I'll make and how my body will change the further in I get. I didn't want to share it in the forums, but thought I'd share with you ladies -

Here's the link....

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q719/Sarah_Jilk/Janbod_zps3b16353e.jpg

Great work! Just curious...are you eating at a deficit or maintenance?
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your questions! The weight lifting is not an end in itself for me. I basically put my goals in my intro post - I want to look better :) I think being stronger will be a byproduct of that. I decided to get into weight lifting because it's advocated so much here on MFP as a good fat burning tool that will help you look better too, not just lose weight. I only have 15 pounds left to lose and I'm in a healthy weight range, so I felt like dropping weight was getting more difficult, and weight lifting might help with that. Another mfp friend recommended the following compound lifts: overhead press, bench press, pullups, deadlifts, rows and squats. Thanks again!

Another question: how do stiff legged deadlifts and romanian deadlifts work your body differently? Are thetre other types of deadlifts? Which do you do?
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I think the SL program calls for Romanian DL's. Here's what I found on Romanian vs SLDL : http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/rdl-vs-sldl.html

Workout B today
    RFESLS: 3x8 15 lbs
    OHP: 3x8 50 lbs (my arms were burning by numbe 6 of set 3!)
    DL: 1x8 65 lbs, 1x8 85 lbs, 1x8 100 lbs
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    The program actually calls for clean style deadlifts. I'll write more late - on my phone.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    That's right...I thought they were the same thing, but they aren't. Dur.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Clarita - those are usually considered the 6 "big" strength movements. What's odd to me, about what you wrote out, is you made the big exercises very high volume and lower weight, and you made some of the smaller exercises lower volume and presumably smaller weight.

I'd probably flip that the other way around or well - frankly if you've never used barbells I'd do a proper beginner program FIRST like SL, Starting Strength, or NROL(FW if you like) and actually make sure you've got the big movements nailed before you start doing stuff like sets to failure. But like - especially since you're new to deadlifts, please don't do 5x10. Deadlifts are majorly fatiguing - After a year of training I do 3x5 and I'm exhausted at the end of it. Ditto for squats. If you can do 5x10 squats you aren't lifting heavy enough. If you want to keep the slightly higher rep ranges (8-10) I'd drop it down to only 2-3 sets. Essentially you'll end up doing the same number of reps but in fewer blocks (and you won't be able to lift as much as if you only did 5 reps but that's ok as long as yo make progression).

I'd also personally do the bench press instead of the pushups unless doing a lot of pushups is some kind of personal goal for you? But since you said your goal is to look better, I don't see any value in doing pushups rather than something you can add load too. At some point bodyweight exercises become cardio because you get to strong for them. At some point ALL strength training becomes cardio, because you're too strong for it.
  • tameko2
    Options
    And now I am off to bench 100. wish me luck ladies! (Naw I don't need it, I got this nailed. I think.)
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Dawrin - your boobs are perkier, lol.

You know what??? I totally thought the same thing....thanks bench press :D
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Mads - I need more info, what prevents you from doing the press? I'm sure we could think of some substitutes but I don't want to suggest anything that will have the same issues.

Hi Tameko, thank you for your reply. For some reason doing anything above my head is no go, i even have trouble holding my arms up to do my hair sometimes. My disease affects all voluntary muscles, but my arms are the weakest by far, i also struggle doing bench presses but not nearly as bad.
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm Christine, a newbie to lifting. I lost ~60# since Feb. Much of it was baby weight. I got to my pre-pregnancy weight by doing absolutely nothing special. Then I signed up for mfp and started the 1200 cal diet in June. Lost 15# but stalled. Then upped my cals to 1800 & lost another 15#. Gained 3 back over the holidays, so decided to add lifting to start losing again.

I started SL5x5 last Thursday. I did not sign up for the whole report from Medhi. I went with what was on the site, youtube, here and what my husband suggested. So, I know I'm a light-weight by starting with only 25#, but I tried squatting with 35# and couldn't finish a set. I only did the squats on Saturday because my baby needed my attention and never got back to the workout. Tuesday, my husband took care of the baby while I worked out. I usually get sore the second day after a workout, not the next day. It will be a challenge to start lifting while I still sore.

I see all the weight some of you veterans are lifting and look forward to reaching those levels someday. Can you share what weights you started with and when that was so a girl can glean some inspiration? Thanks!
  • darwinforyou
    Options
    Darwin - great pics! I can see a difference everywhere, of course, but I think one of the best ones is that you've got some visible muscle in your shoulders and traps/upper back and also arms - and it just makes you look stronger and tighter across there and makes your arm look firmer too (if that makes sense). It also looks like maybe you lost some size on your arm?

I really hope I get good results this year. Last year I was really inconsistent with my food in the latter half and didn't make a whole lot of progress the last 3 months of the year. First 3 months of this year I want to get back to where I was, fitting a comfy size 8 in everything (as opposed to now with this little muffin top, sigh). Then we'll see if I can push down my size again. I really want to drop about 10lbs of fat. Might correspond to a large 6 small 8 in my current brands.

Thanks for the feedback - I could definitely a tell a huge difference right away from Nov-Dec, but not so much Dec-Nov just that it seemed "tighter", so what you're saying makes total sense. Plus my clothes are all fitting super awesome now.

the food thing is so much of this too - I struggle to stay within my calories, but then also eat enough protein for my LBM. That's generally why I keep cardio in still -adding in my protein shake every day added an additional 300 calories. So that's my struggle more than anything, calories and protein, though I think that's a lot of peoples struggle, too.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    And now I am off to bench 100. wish me luck ladies! (Naw I don't need it, I got this nailed. I think.)
    Well??? Did you hit it? :drinker:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Hello, I'm Christine, a newbie to lifting. I lost ~60# since Feb. Much of it was baby weight. I got to my pre-pregnancy weight by doing absolutely nothing special. Then I signed up for mfp and started the 1200 cal diet in June. Lost 15# but stalled. Then upped my cals to 1800 & lost another 15#. Gained 3 back over the holidays, so decided to add lifting to start losing again.

I started SL5x5 last Thursday. I did not sign up for the whole report from Medhi. I went with what was on the site, youtube, here and what my husband suggested. So, I know I'm a light-weight by starting with only 25#, but I tried squatting with 35# and couldn't finish a set. I only did the squats on Saturday because my baby needed my attention and never got back to the workout. Tuesday, my husband took care of the baby while I worked out. I usually get sore the second day after a workout, not the next day. It will be a challenge to start lifting while I still sore.

I see all the weight some of you veterans are lifting and look forward to reaching those levels someday. Can you share what weights you started with and when that was so a girl can glean some inspiration? Thanks!

Welcome to the group!

I'm in week 7 of the program and I started everything at bar weight which is 45# :) You can see my week 6 numbers on page 4 I think....you do progress really quickly on this program so don't worry, you will be there before you know it!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I started at lighter than 45 lbs on almost all my lifts except deads. I was really...not strong. I've progressed, slower on some lifts than others, (I've definitely figured out my weak spots). It takes time and patience. Enjoy it, though, it's very rewarding and satisfying.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Good morning Ladies! Guess what this morning was??!!!!!

DAY 1 USING MY POWER RACK!!!

Eeeekkkkk! I was so excited....and pretty scared lol

I feel way more badass now haha and loading the bar is a whole lot easier!

Happy Wednesday all!
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Also, Darwin, your pics are amazing! Well done! You must be very pleased.
  • alwyndacara
    alwyndacara Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is doing well!

I'm just about to go and do Day 2 (Workout B this time - eek!) and I'm really looking forward to it!

One question, how many of you use protein shakes? I'm struggling to get my protein in a bit and was wondering if any of you use protein shakes to boost your protein numbers. Or, if not, how do you make sure you eat enough? I really want to make sure I'm giving my body enough of a chance to rebuild after lifting as possible!

And thoughts on CLA supplements? I have a tub and was wondering whether to give them a go as well?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

I'm just about to go and do Day 2 (Workout B this time - eek!) and I'm really looking forward to it!

One question, how many of you use protein shakes? I'm struggling to get my protein in a bit and was wondering if any of you use protein shakes to boost your protein numbers. Or, if not, how do you make sure you eat enough? I really want to make sure I'm giving my body enough of a chance to rebuild after lifting as possible!

And thoughts on CLA supplements? I have a tub and was wondering whether to give them a go as well?

I try to base every meal around protein and if I find I still need some then I use protein powder! I will make a shake using greek yogurt and protein powder and that gives me a great chunk for not a whole lot of calories! My opinion is to try to get as much as possible from "real" food and if you need a shake, then go for it! As for the CLA, I don't use any other supplements at this point....I'm not educated enough yet on that stuff, but from what I've read it's really not overly necessary!
  • darwinforyou
    Options

I try to base every meal around protein and if I find I still need some then I use protein powder! I will make a shake using greek yogurt and protein powder and that gives me a great chunk for not a whole lot of calories! My opinion is to try to get as much as possible from "real" food and if you need a shake, then go for it! As for the CLA, I don't use any other supplements at this point....I'm not educated enough yet on that stuff, but from what I've read it's really not overly necessary!

^^^^What she said......

I try and eat as much protein through real food as possible - and if I don't have enough, I have a shake then. I used to have one for breakfast - but I started taking them only as needed now and usually at night. No supplements here - mostly because I don't know about them and am slightly leary of them. I'll leave that to other people who more know more than me!
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options
    NEWBIE to lifting! Just starting this week. Starting with the empty bar as highly reccommended by everyone and adding 5 lbs each week. Excited to see where I am in a couple of months!