The Dress!

Options

Replies

• AML04143
    Options
    Ugh, dress shopping. I wasn't dreading it at all, in fact I was totally looking forward to it, until I stepped out in my first dress. My mom's first words were, "Well, you're going to lose weight, it wouldn't look so bad then!" :huh: I had not said one thing about my weight. The rest of the appointment was more of the same, at least 2 comments per gown about what a whale I was. Thanks mom, love you too. I thought the dresses were really pretty, and I really didn't think I looked that bad! Grr. Now I never want to go dress shopping with her again! Anyone else have mommy issues?

I haven't gone dress shopping yet but one reason is because I'm afraid of that conversation coming up with my mom. She has the best intentions but she seems to think that if something is true, then it shouldn't hurt to hear it. She's made a couple comments that have really hurt and when I told her that, her response was "well it's not like you don't know what you look like." Soooo I'm REALLY hoping to be within 20 lbs of my goal by the time I go dress shopping. I'll also be taking at least one bridesmaid. I hope their presence and positive feedback (or at least honest but kind feedback) would encourage my mom to be kinder as well.

This is the EXACT reason I haven't gone shopping yet. I'm so insecure about my weight gain that I'm afraid I'm going to hate every dress I try on until I'm happier with how I look. I have an appointment schedules at Kleinfeld's in March, so hopefully I will be 15+ lbs down and feeling better. This is my absolute DREAM dress (and probably will remain a dream due to the $$$):

16kt0ra.jpg
  • AML04143
    Options
    Ugh, dress shopping. I wasn't dreading it at all, in fact I was totally looking forward to it, until I stepped out in my first dress. My mom's first words were, "Well, you're going to lose weight, it wouldn't look so bad then!" :huh: I had not said one thing about my weight. The rest of the appointment was more of the same, at least 2 comments per gown about what a whale I was. Thanks mom, love you too. I thought the dresses were really pretty, and I really didn't think I looked that bad! Grr. Now I never want to go dress shopping with her again! Anyone else have mommy issues?

I haven't gone dress shopping yet but one reason is because I'm afraid of that conversation coming up with my mom. She has the best intentions but she seems to think that if something is true, then it shouldn't hurt to hear it. She's made a couple comments that have really hurt and when I told her that, her response was "well it's not like you don't know what you look like." Soooo I'm REALLY hoping to be within 20 lbs of my goal by the time I go dress shopping. I'll also be taking at least one bridesmaid. I hope their presence and positive feedback (or at least honest but kind feedback) would encourage my mom to be kinder as well.

This is the EXACT reason I haven't gone shopping yet. I'm so insecure about my weight gain that I'm afraid I'm going to hate every dress I try on until I'm happier with how I look. I have an appointment schedules at Kleinfeld's in March, so hopefully I will be 15+ lbs down and feeling better. This is my absolute DREAM dress (and probably will remain a dream due to the $$$):

Tried to post the pic 8,000x and it's not working, sorry. It's the Vera Wang Gemma gown...
  • kikiallain
    kikiallain Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You would all be surprised with dress shopping! I hated the thought of it, thought everything would look horrible especially since bridesmaid dresses were horrid! But these dresses have corset and really suck you in! Its so incredible! I liked it so much that i actually started modelling wedding dresses in fashion shows for one of the stores i went shopping at!! :) next show January 20th!!
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Ya'll will be surprised or even shocked when I say this....

My dress, $3.50 that's right -- it's NOT a typo -- $3.50
    BRAND SPANKING NEW WITH ORIGINAL DAVID'S BRIDAL TAGS on the dress.
    Granted it's listed as a latte color - bridesmaid dress on David's Bridal website. Still will be my wedding dress.

Got it at Goodwill. In the size I am wearing now --- so I feel comfortable with this -- even if the weight loss isn't successful.
    If needed, the dress can be easily altered in the waist & bust.

My shoes -- $2.00, that's right -- again, NOT a typo.
    ALSO BRAND SPANKING NEW WITH ORIGINAL PACKAGING MATERIAL

Another Goodwill find.

My budget is very small -- I had to find bargains.

I did go to one bridal gown store -- salesperson heard my dress budget and told me politely how their wedding gowns start at $1200. (Um, my reception will cost that or less). After hearing, I'm having a small 2nd wedding - her suggestion was to look at bridemaids gowns at their store or go to David's Bridal. Sure, I found bridemaids dresses I liked in that store -- at the top of my budget -- and once I added alterations - the cost would be OVER my budget. Needless to say, I didn't return to that store.
  • jesyka
    jesyka Posts: 141 Member
    Options

They can ADD a corset back?!?! That is AWESOME! My "window-shopping" has been so limited because I've been trying to only find dresses with that kind of back!

They definitely can :D I was more than thrilled to learn this. I guess for altering purposes it's easier because it gives you a wider gauge on what sizes it will fit in the end :)
  • lawyerette
    lawyerette Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I realized today that I haven't responded to this yet (and it was from BEFORE we started the challenge) LOL ...so - my dress story.

I started at David's Bridal one afternoon when I had some free time. None of my girlfriends were free, so I just made an appointment and tried on a dozen dresses or so. I didn't like the way any of them fitted and all of the styles I thought I'd like were awful. I was around 190, so it was overall pretty disheartening. I was fat and alone and was going to look awful on my wedding day. :-/

Thankfully, the depression didn't last long. I started looking at dresses on the Knot and found that the Allure gowns and those in the La Sposa line by Pronovias were pretty much spot on. A quick click or two on the Knot told me that Curvy Girl Bridal (CGB) in Fairfax, VA, carried both lines. I read about CGB and their focus on curvy and plus size brides and was immediately excited to try again. No one was free when I went, so I was alone again. No worries there, though. Dana- my bridal consultant- was a doll! Such a sweetheart. She flipped through images I'd tagged of my favorite dresses on the Knot app on my iPhone and then we walked through the shop, identifying dresses I was interested in and ones she thought I'd like. There was a particularly shapeless one that she pointed out and I told her that I didn't think it would look very good because I had such wide hips. She asked me whether I was willing to just try it on. I told her - "worst case, I hate it and we try another dress." She laughed and pulled it along with the others I liked.

Long story short, the dress she suggested was the 3rd dress I tried on. I took one look and was in love. I tried another 20 dresses at that shop that day, but we kept coming back to the La Sposa "Fanal" (smiles) That was early July 2012.

My girls came to see the dress later that month and confirmed they loved it; my mom was a harder sell. When I went to visit her in California in August 2012, she was SURE that I needed an a-line or halter to highlight my tiny waist and hide my hips and she thought a lighter fabric with more lace would suit the beach venue better. I went to 4 shops with her and my sister, trying on dozens of dresses, before I finally was able to show her "Fanal" at the 4th shop. Even though I was crying and the consultant was pinning a veil in my hair and handing me a fake bouquet, my mom was still insisting that I looked fat and that the dress was all wrong for me. I was devastated.

I called Dana at CGB when I got home to tell her my mom had vetoed THE ONE. She was so kind and patient and told me to take my time because we didn't have to order until October/November. As fate would have it, a trunk sale for Pronovias came up the first part of November and Dana called to tell me that if I ordered that weekend, I would get 10% off my dress. When I returned to the shop to get sized, I stood on the pedestal in Fanal and made peace with myself. Fanal was THE ONE and there was nothing anyone could do to convince me otherwise. Yah!!!

It was a very hard thing - to go against my mom about the dress, but I have been so happy that I got the dress I loved. In the end, mom said she is super happy for me and says I look lovely in the dress. As you all know, I picked her up last weekend and, after some shenanigans with seamstresses and alteration costs, I got fitted on Saturday and am scheduled for my second fitting March 8.

Here are some pics of me in the dress on Feb 9:

Dana and I with her showing the camera how much of the dress has to be taken in (from a 16 to a 10!!!)
    1osrv7.jpg

Side (you can see where it's puckering along the side because it's been pinned in along the seam)
    6y084g.jpg

Front
    339qeea.jpg

Bustle (the covered buttons aren't fastened - the zipper won't show on wedding day!)
    30lz4go.jpg

Jewelry that I am considering (would LOVE other suggestions)
    3143r4o.jpg
  • DLSlim
    DLSlim Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! It's not at all what I had in my mind when you mentioned a beach wedding, but now that I see it on you, it looks so perfect. I'm happy you stuck to your guns and bought the dress that you fell in love with because your wedding is about you and Cullen, not that your mom doesn't like your body in the dress of your dreams.

BTW, in that first picture, your behind looks AWESOME. Love your curves, girl!
  • arendiva
    arendiva Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just went dress shopping for the first time yesterday. I had been really dreading dress shopping because I'm so far from my goal weight, but I knew I couldn't put it off anymore. I tried on 9 dresses and I found one that made me feel amazing. It is so true that you don't know what will suit your body until you try things on. I walked into the store dreaming of an all lace a-line with cap sleeves and I walked out with a strapless satin mermaid gown. Go figure. But when you find the right dress you will just know. Just like when you found the right guy. What's especially awesome is that my dress has a corset back with room to spare for tightening. So even when I loose weight my dress will still fit without needing alterations. Plus from now until February 25th David's bridal is have a sale on every single gown in the store. So I got a huge discount too!
  • lildaug
    lildaug Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I found my dress at David's Bridal after about 1 hour and trying on a few others before I picked 'the one'. I knew I wanted a tea length vintage style dress and David's Bridal only had 6 short dresses. I live in the UK and was only home in the US for 2 weeks to find my dress so I had to make a decision quickly. I absolutely love this dress. I wanted something that was lightweight so I could dance all night. I started my weight loss journey in October right after trying the dress on. I told the consultant that I planned on losing weight by the wedding but she suggested buying the dress anyway in case the style was discontinued. If it wasn't I could just come in and exchange it for a smaller size. My dress was a 14 now I'm a 10. I'm hoping to get down to a 6 by the wedding (Oct) if not before.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Short-Printed-Organza-Gown-with-Floral-Sash-WG3313
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    Options
    Congratulations on finding the right dress for you.

It is challenging to find something that makes you feel as beautiful in the size we need in the price range you're willing to pay.

For some, it's also in the color we want.
    Originally, I was going for a pale lavender dress -- size and price became an issue.
    Ended up with a latte color that to my great surprise is a great color on me.
  • crazygirl1972
    Options
    I have had my eye on a certain dress for
    a year when I saw it I just knew it was the one
    and thanks to my tax check it will arrive
    On Monday I'm so very very excited
    I may parade around in it all day long
    if I'm not at work that is. I bought from David's
    bridal and it was on sale and free shipping
    its a one shoulder tulle ball gown with lace appliques i cant wait to take a pic in it
  • lawyerette
    Options
    I have had my eye on a certain dress for
    a year when I saw it I just knew it was the one
    and thanks to my tax check it will arrive
    On Monday I'm so very very excited
    I may parade around in it all day long
    if I'm not at work that is. I bought from David's
    bridal and it was on sale and free shipping
    its a one shoulder tulle ball gown with lace appliques i cant wait to take a pic in it

Did you pick her up yet??? Looking forward to pics :)
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    Options
    Awesome!

In case this can apply to others.... recycle what is being altered from your dress.

My dress needs to be hemmed.
    The florist asked for the material being cut off -- why -- she's using that material to wrap around the stem of my flowers.
    So my bouquet will have a piece of my dress in it.

The MOH bouquet will have ivory/off white fabric since her dress does not need to be hemmed.
  • lharpul
    lharpul Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    All such pretty dresses. I have my first dress fitting on Saturday and I'm excited!

My dress story is a happy one. I live in Texas now but am originally from Virginia. I was at my parents' house for my cousin's wedding. My mom wasn't interested in dress shopping when I asked her. But, we happened to be passing by a Bridal store and I made her go in with me. We had a great experience. I tried on 4 dresses and found the one! I was so happy to be with my mom because I knew she was going to miss out on a lot of the wedding planning details being far away.

Here's my Maggie dress - Karena (not that I had any idea what that meant when I got it). I got ivory on ivory and am going to remove the bow.

S5223.jpg

This dress actually looks better on women with breasts (like myself) than the tiny ones due to the halter. Also, it has a corset back so it's weight loss friendly. Oh and also, no bra needed!
  • michiganmanda
    michiganmanda Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I picked my dress at the second shop to the horror of my aunt who wanted to make me play dress up for a month. But when you know you know! Plus i have a very averagely proportioned (if not sized, I'm 5'10" to boot!) figure so I can wear it off the rack and found it 60% off. Since it was off the rack it was very tight. In the first pic you can see the outline of my belly button through the skirt and I think my lungs were crushed in the epic struggle to zip it. That was back in September, I tried it on again today after losing 10 pounds and replacing some fat with muscle and it fits now!

This is my first time posting pics and I had to sign up for a photobucket account. I oranged out my face because I didn't know if the pictures became part of the public domain. The first one is on the day I bought it with a tester veil, and the second one is today with my veil. I'm still looking for a headband and some sort of bling for the waist if anyone has any ideas. I'm not sure how the back part is going to be tied. I'm not sold on a bow how it is in the picture. I have a large shoe/accessory budget due to the sample sale of my dress.

0-1_zps32244f8a.jpeg

0_zpsfbcc2856.jpeg
  • lawyerette
    Options
    You look great, Amanda!!! Congrats!!! For the waist band, I just saw some amazing bling downtown Virginia. I'll have to see if I can find something like it online to show you. In the meantime, I thought this feed on the Wedding Bee had some good leads when I was trying to figure out what would work for me. I also have a lady in MD who does them custom and for a good price, but I think you're still in MI, right??

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/where-did-you-buy-your-headbands#axzz2LnCVuXli
  • michiganmanda
    michiganmanda Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yep I live about halfway between Lansing and Ann Arbor. I have been looking at some things on Etsy but would like to see it in real life before I buy.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I finally picked out my wedding dress!

There are a couple of changes I'm making.
    1: The lace up back, the actual string will be in a royal blue.
    2: The straps that are supposed to go on my shoulders, I'm actually using to put on my stomach area (I'm holding it up in the picture) and and putting one on the back of the train.

I'm so excited. :) I can't wait for my wedding day now...it's too far away!!! :(

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/OspreyVista/library/Wedding Dress?page=1

Password is Osprey

:)
  • lawyerette
    Options
    I finally picked out my wedding dress!

You look AMAZING! Congrats!