How much do you pay in Gym Membership?

Options

Replies

• 3319jane
    3319jane Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic and huge variance in prices!

I am looking to join our (only) local gym this week and for two of us we are looking at £63 a month, which I think is dreadful!

Unfortunately, rural Dorset does not have much of a selection, so unless we want to travel, we are stick with it.

Let's hope it is worth it :)

Jx

A little over £30 a month each doesn't seem that much (depending on facilities). Even if you only go 3x a week that only equates to £2.50 a visit.

Yeah, I guess so - but still seems like a lot of money per month to me - lets just hope it is worth it :)
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    £200 a year, 24 hour gym in hull. No pool though, thats probably the only downside.
  • hmorrish
    hmorrish Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use the local Council run gym off peak (so between 9am-5pm) and its £23.99 a month rolling contract. I get the use of 4 different gyms, swimming pools, sauna etc. Its brilliant for me because I can take my little girl swimming for free.

We also have the use of the badminton/squash and tennis courts for free and have to pay £1 for most fitness classes.
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    I enquired at our local sports centre yesterday and was quoted £43 a month for gym/spa/pool or £27.50 for just the use of the pool - looking at the prices here I now think that that's dreadful! There seems to be massive variance. I have my own treadmill but I would like to swim more and use weights, but not at that price!
  • AndyStanford
    AndyStanford Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    £19.99/month at my local gym, just 2 sites in the chain, one near where I work, and the other near where I live :)

No pool, limited classes, but plenty of cardio machines, a well equipped weights room, and a ladies-only room. They also include sessions with a trainer to help figure out your routine etc if needed.
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thegymgroup dot com: £10.99 a month. I use the one in Nottingham and it's great - open 24/7, all the equipment you could ever need, massive, good staff, clean and easy. No pool or frills, but value for money.
  • Daisychain65
    Daisychain65 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm at the local leisure centre- gym, pool, sauna and free classes included and there is a discount on squash courts, I think it's £37 per month usually...I get a 15% discount because I work for the NHS. For me it's brilliant because it's literally next door to the Primary Care Centre I work in
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I pay £44 on an NHS membership to a private country club. Usually it's around £62. That includes use of:

- sports hall (when not being used for kids sports)
    - 10% discount in restaurants (2), bar, function rooms and beauty barn
    - swimming pool
    - spa area (sauna, steam room, jacuzzi and what not)
    - gym with brand new equipment
    - all classes included x biking and les mills classes
    - range of kids clubs and sports (extra payable)

They have great trainers in the gym, great weights section and cardio section, we've just got all new equipment and redone the gym.
  • squinz
    squinz Posts: 136
    Options
    I think I pay £25 and that is with NHS discount. That includes unlimited use of a local smallish gym, most classes and unlimited use of the local pool.

It is about as much as I would be happy to pay at the moment and I enjoy the classes more than they gym. The gym is a bit small .
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Interesting topic and huge variance in prices!

I am looking to join our (only) local gym this week and for two of us we are looking at £63 a month, which I think is dreadful!

Unfortunately, rural Dorset does not have much of a selection, so unless we want to travel, we are stick with it.

Let's hope it is worth it :)

Jx

A little over £30 a month each doesn't seem that much (depending on facilities). Even if you only go 3x a week that only equates to £2.50 a visit.

Yeah, I guess so - but still seems like a lot of money per month to me - lets just hope it is worth it :)

My gym (explained above) is £82 a month for couples so honestly its not that bad.
  • kitsuneandy
    Options
    £46 a month at Nuffield in Norwich.
  • DaisyAliceB
    DaisyAliceB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was a lifeguard on my gap year and worked on reception at the same place for most of my first year at uni, as I'm still technically on the books as a casual member of staff, I use the facilities (gym, pool, health spa, classes etc.) there and can do so at any of the 5 sites it's linked to for free. I feel a bit cheeky, having not done a shift there for well over 3 months but I want a gym with a full size (25m) swimming pool so unless I offer to actually start paying a membership (which would be £34 as a student, and it's really not that nice a place), it's the only place in Brighton I can actually use!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    £43 a month
  • salsagal36
    salsagal36 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I pay 12.99 a month for Klick Fitness. It's a no frills gym with cardio, weights, machines and free classes every day. You can pay for extra classes that instructors cme in for and they're about to open a sauna/steam for a minimal fee if you want to use it.
  • ToriiXx
    ToriiXx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go to puregym - no pool or sauna, but HUGE with great equipment and always clean, open 24hrs and free classes. I joined before my local one opened so I pay £10.99 a month for the first year, if you join once it has opened its around £18.99 a month.

I got this deal as well :) It's such a good gym as well, has everything you need for a great workout.
  • IsabellaC45
    IsabellaC45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I pay £9.99 for 4 weeks unlimited gym and swim.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Sounds like Isabel has got the best deal!

I go to the former Civil Service gym in North Portsmouth, Roko, which has about 3 other branches... I pay £36.50 a month for off peak membership - Monday - Friday, enter between 9 and 3.30 (though they don't kick me out once I'm in!! Lovely 20 m pool, steam, sauna and jacuzzi, great changing rooms, loads of different machines to use and weights and other equipment to use. Free classes. Regular free checks with one of the fitness instructors to review your programme. I love going down there, but really don't get down there often enough to make it worthwhile.
  • pboroaddick
    pboroaddick Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use the local authority Gym membership. £30 and you have a choice of 4 Gyms, 2 Swimming Pools in the local area. Also free admission to any classes.

I use the nearest Gym not the most modern but has everything you need, benefit being it is only 2 minutes drive away, so very convenient. I found if you have to travel then you don't do it. So best to be local and it keeps the cost down compared to Virgin Active or Bannatynes which are double these fees.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Oh I pay a lot - £110 per month for virgin active classic club in central London. Worth every penny! I previously had a LA fitness membership that was much cheaper but never went!. So on the £ per visit rating much better value lol. I decided that nothing is more important than my health so found the money with a deep breath
    Free classes -good range
    Good range of kit
    Spa / Sauna/ steamroom
    Swimming pool with swimtag analysis
    Free towels
    Free coffee and newspapers

Really friendly and helpful staff
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I pay £26 per month (work discount. Should be £32). It's Fitness 364 in Chelmsford, just been taken over from Fitness First. It's got loads of machines so you will always find a treadmill, elliptical or bike to use. They are a bit old now though. There's no pool, but there is steam room and sauna. It's open 6am -10pm. Oh and it's right next door to work!

My husband pays £33 (I think) a month for local council gym which has just been refurbished with brand new machines with touch screen and maps etc. It also has a pool. I would join this one but it's too out of the way. Wouldn't be able to go before work and wouldn't want to go all that way after work. I'll just be jealous of his gym as I spend my lunchtimes trundling on the old treadmill at my gym!