How much do you pay in Gym Membership?

Options

Replies

• kitsuneandy
    Options
    Prices vary greatly where I am in Norwich however with the arrival of a couple of budget gyms the higher end places are now cutting their prices.

Nuffield - around £53 per month (previously around £60)
    Virgin Active - around £49 per month (previously around £65)

Smaller gyms are around £40 per month

Lottery funded pool/gym £33 per month

Budget gyms are around £15 per month or £5 per guest pass

Not sure exactly which gyms are included, but you can get discounts if you're an Aviva policyholder - http://www.getactive.aviva.co.uk/gym_discounts
  • Ben_1960
    Ben_1960 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Currently paying £2 per visit for use of new council owned gym, pool or classes. Got down to docs and asked for a referral as I currently have no income. Have got this for 6 months and and I am making two visits per week at the moment.
  • sunshineaims
    sunshineaims Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    £25 a month (NHS discount) £30 otherwise, local council subsidised, Fenton Manor In Stoke. I get pools, gym, sauna, steam etc and all exercise classes too. Open 7am-10pm which is ok for me at the moment
  • ms_leanne
    Options
    I've been a member of quite a few gyms over the years and have seen a massive difference in different towns.

Virgin Active in most places I've seen at around £70 per month (criminal imo so wasn't going there)

Nuffield Health were about £45 a month

LA Fitness £37 a month

Freedom Leisure Sports centre £38 a month with corporate discount

On fitness for health scheme (doc referal) I was paying about £4 a session. (This was up in Yorkshire though unlike all the other places in SUssex/Surrey)

Now I do bootcamp twice a week for £5 a session.
  • alfie1313
    alfie1313 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Im soooooo lucky! I work as a cleaner at 2 gyms in my area and they throw in free gym membership for working there :-))) So im able to swim, go in the gym, use the steam room and sauna and Jacuzzi and aromatherapy room, and all the classes :-))) im very fortunate and thankful :-)))
  • RetroRob
    Options
    I pay £55.95 for soho gyms in London.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I have off-peak membership for Results @ £15.99 a month which gives you access to about 5 gyms bewteen 6.30am and 4pm Monday-Friday and 12pm-close at the weekend.

I only use the gym that is a two minute walk from my house though. :laugh:
  • Razzzzle
    Razzzzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    £47 a month for me.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    since a new gym opened in my town the gyms have become more competitive. I was paying £35/month, now £25/month at DW (no pool but I wouldn't use it anyway), just working out my notice there to go to a lifting gym - also £25/month but only weights etc, which is all I use and much quieter!
  • CitizenMichael
    CitizenMichael Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Currently pay 25 per month for a lifting gym in preston, it has cardio machines and a mma area as well, been looking at changing due to work geography etc and for my wife to also start going and been quoted 103 for the two of us and have to sign up for at least 6 months, ok so the place has everything you could want and all classes included but jeez it's the North of England not London,
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    Feeling rather ripped off compared to all those great prices. Paying £55 a month in central London via a salary sacrifice scheme. When I paid by direct debit, it was a whopping £65.
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just joined Virgin for the winter months, £50 a month. I swim 3 days a week before work and can use both pools at home and near work.

The council run pool still comes in at £35 a month 3 days a week, and free swim times are restricted due to all the other classes they have to run its even extra for weights/classes etc.
  • Lauren344
    Lauren344 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    £58 for two people per month at a local leisure centre, that's with a discount because my mum works for the NHS.
    Also includes all the classes and pools, no lengthy contract either plus they are 3 leisure centers to choose from but I just go to the closest.
  • Tanteee
    Tanteee Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Rush fitness, open 24 hours has sauna, gym, classes etc. I pay £19.99 per month, no contract. Also have membership at my work gym £10 annually plus between £1 and £2 for a class and some sessions are free, I joined the work gym so that I can fit in a class during my lunch break.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    £37/month for a big chain gym with pool, sauna, far too many cardio machines, group classes, machines, free weights. I feel it's a bit too much money for what I actually make use of at this particular gym, but it's walking distance from my flat, so I'm staying for now.
  • g2214n
    g2214n Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Currently member of Kiss Gym(5 min walk from home) 24/7 365 and paying £15.99(got the £9.99 deal for the first year but thereafter went up) and honestly the best gym&equipment ever. Back in time have been member of LA Fitness in Notting Hill(around £70p/m) Cannons - around £65, 37o's - £91 and The Gym Box Westfield - £87 - whooping difference of £800 pound!!
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I pay £16/month for the gym at work.
    It has a range of cardio machines, a few weights machines, a smith machine and some dumbells.
    It also has a studio for classes which are generally run at lunchtime and 5ish and are mostly free.

For a work gym it's pretty well equipped (no barbell though) and is very convenient.
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I pay £16/month for the gym at work.
    It has a range of cardio machines, a few weights machines, a smith machine and some dumbells.
    It also has a studio for classes which are generally run at lunchtime and 5ish and are mostly free.

For a work gym it's pretty well equipped (no barbell though) and is very convenient.

If it's work gym, isn't it suppose to be free? :O

I pay £19 for my membership.
  • ellend17
    Options
    I've just seen this thread, and coincidentally, am trying to decide which gym to join and whether it would be worth my money.

There is my local leisure centre, which has a huge gym with all the latest equipment, free weights and machines plus vibration plates and other bits. This has a pool, sauna, steam room, numerous fitness studios and a range of classes that run almost all day everyday. This is the gym I used to go to and pay each session and was quite happy doing it this way. There was one where I used to live too so I could use their facilities too which was great. Then the last time I went to pay to go in they said as I hadn't been in a few months I would need another induction (which was £15) and that no trainers were free to give me that so I couldn't use the gym. I was not impressed as I had been so many times before for years and they made me feel like a complete imbecile.
    Anyway, this place is £45 a month membership for everything included.

My other choice is a Club Moativation gym at the Holiday Inn. I've never used this gym but some friends are members and seem happy with it. I believe it is a lot smaller but still has both cardio and weights (i'm not sure about pool etc) There are two classes a day, one in the morning and one in the evening, and are very limited - aerobics, body toning or abs.
    This place is £30 a month on a 12 month contract, slightly more for a rolling contract, or you can pay three months up front.

My other half has very sweetly offered to pay half my membership as he is joining too and knows how much I want to get fit, but I don't want him to waste his money (or me waste mine) paying for a membership to somewhere that is cheaper but much more limited. We do have a cross trainer and weights at home which is why the lack of classes at the cheaper option is putting me off - I want to do something different that I will stick to!

ETA - sorry didn't realise how rambly this reply got!
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've just seen this thread, and coincidentally, am trying to decide which gym to join and whether it would be worth my money.

There is my local leisure centre, which has a huge gym with all the latest equipment, free weights and machines plus vibration plates and other bits. This has a pool, sauna, steam room, numerous fitness studios and a range of classes that run almost all day everyday. This is the gym I used to go to and pay each session and was quite happy doing it this way. There was one where I used to live too so I could use their facilities too which was great. Then the last time I went to pay to go in they said as I hadn't been in a few months I would need another induction (which was £15) and that no trainers were free to give me that so I couldn't use the gym. I was not impressed as I had been so many times before for years and they made me feel like a complete imbecile.
    Anyway, this place is £45 a month membership for everything included.

My other choice is a Club Moativation gym at the Holiday Inn. I've never used this gym but some friends are members and seem happy with it. I believe it is a lot smaller but still has both cardio and weights (i'm not sure about pool etc) There are two classes a day, one in the morning and one in the evening, and are very limited - aerobics, body toning or abs.
    This place is £30 a month on a 12 month contract, slightly more for a rolling contract, or you can pay three months up front.

My other half has very sweetly offered to pay half my membership as he is joining too and knows how much I want to get fit, but I don't want him to waste his money (or me waste mine) paying for a membership to somewhere that is cheaper but much more limited. We do have a cross trainer and weights at home which is why the lack of classes at the cheaper option is putting me off - I want to do something different that I will stick to!

ETA - sorry didn't realise how rambly this reply got!

bodyweight training at home? :D Cheap, and you can do it any time :P