Inspiration

Options

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    And another, which I posted in the thread about Gibran, but seems appropriate here also.

The Desiderata

"Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy. "

This has been framed on my wall for about 20 years now. I love it :flowerforyou:
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    @zachatta - not to be pedantic, but actually motivation comes from within, inspiration comes from external influences, and to throw a quote at you.....

Motivation is a fire from within. If someone else tries to light that fire under you, chances are it will burn very briefly.

At the end of the day we are inspired by something to motivate ourselves, and its that motivation that each individual must keep going, and a good way to do this is to keep finding other reasons to be inspired, hence this thread.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want to do, do it now. There are only so many tomorrows. - Michael London
    Strong people don't put others down...they lift them up. - Michael P. Watson
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    "It's a good thing Zach is so pretty." - me
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options

Strong people don't put others down...they lift them up. - Michael P. Watson

LOVE THIS!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    "The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen
  • moonshadows72
    moonshadows72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    "Right now, you are making a choice…

It may not seem like a large and terrible choice,
    but in the long term, it may well be.

You are choosing whether you will be the master of your own fate,
    with the power to create what you will from the world - or
    whether you will simply... get by.

Unremarkable. Complacent. Mediocre."

"Mediocrity is a terrible fate!"
    ~Jim Butcher~
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    543805_10151211064780028_1427608662_n.jpg
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    303540_10151184159696822_1424815583_n.jpg
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    This is a fair point, and also the post above me. I should live and let live as well I suppose. It was more of a question at the mindset of why people need these.

However, if you need random quotes to get motivated, I can't imagine your motivation lasting that long/ or even being legitimate in the first place.

However, I concede that is a fair point, continue with your quotes.

Zach...why do I "need" random quotes? Why do you feel the need to question and debate everything and suck the joy out of this thread?

I find inspiration and comfort from this because all wisdom does not live inside me and there are beautiful and insightful people out there who have already learned much of what I also need to about life and themselves.

YOU may have your life together with all the inspiration, get-up-and-go, motivation, direction and perspective you need, but I certainly do not. And with the people in my life and experiences I have had, not to mention the emotional challenges of late (see original post).. I think gaining some inspiration from some notable and influential minds (I'm not picking quotes from Kim Kardashian here) is far better than eating my feelings and crying myself to sleep or endlessly wallowing in anxiety and self-pity - ie. my general coping skills.

To be honest also..if you see vulnerability and looking for inspiration as weakness and that we (humanity in general) have nothing to learn from each other, then I feel very sorry for you.

I was always one of those people that thought that taking inspiration from quotes was kind of hokey. However, while going through my divorce I came across one that resonated with me and I truly believe has helped me with a lot of the emotional baggage I was carrying:

"You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you do not trust enough." - Frank Crane

So now I am always on the lookout for more quotes that inspire me
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    tumblr_me41d73ruo1rh1wv4o1_400.jpg
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    tumblr_me41d73ruo1rh1wv4o1_400.jpg

I like that. The ring of truth, and a useful lesson.
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    22114_10151357447638605_1890666658_n.jpg
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    inspirational-quotes-the-tallest-oak-in-the-forest.jpg
  • meem548
    meem548 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars." - Unknown

"You are entirely up to you. Make your body. Make your life. Make Yourself" - Nike Training Club

And finally....

"Somehow we've come to believe that greatness is only for the chosen few, for the superstars. The truth is, greatness is for us all. This is not about lowering expectations; it's about raising them for every last one of us. Greatness is not in one special place, and it's not in one special person. Greatness is wherever somebody is trying to find it. FIND YOUR GREATNESS. - Nike.
  • GabeRami
    GabeRami Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    “Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” - Bruce Lee

“Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

“Never love anyone who treats you like you're ordinary.” - Oscar Wilde
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    As we often say:
    "Das Weib ist des Mannes größtes Glück oder Unglück."

p0093zjd_640_360.jpg

(Did I impress you with my German inspirational quote?)
  • AnnaPixie
    Options
    As we often say:
    "Das Weib ist des Mannes größtes Glück oder Unglück."

p0093zjd_640_360.jpg

(Did I impress you with my German inspirational quote?)

"Woman is man's greatest happiness or unhappiness" :bigsmile:

I'd say that goes the other way round too! :wink:
  • RosscoBoscko
    RosscoBoscko Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    "Woman is man's greatest happiness or unhappiness" :bigsmile:

Without doubt!!
  • jensnewstart
    jensnewstart Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    "Ducks quack, eagles soar"

and one my friend sent me when I was stressing...

"handle every stressful situation like a dog. Pee on it and walk away"