Hello Singles....tell me about yourself....

Options
zachatta
zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
So after I read some previous threads here, I get the impression that people think they "know" other people in Singles.

While I concede that some personality traits are apparent, unless you have had personal conversation with anyone you probably don't necessarily know them.

That being said, lets make a thread about it then.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++Thread Rules ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Really I want you to tell me a story about yourself, or brag about yourself (personal achievement), or talk about something that is simply on your mind.

Like I said, If you want to brag about an accomplishment, feel free! This is the thread to do it! Or you can tell a "life story" about yourself that is simply interesting, it doesn't have to follow a certain theme!

Also ***********PLEASE READ*************** Please avoid stories such as the following
- violent war stories
-violent childhood abuse stories
-psychotic ramblings about how you want to hurt someone or something

This isn't the intention of my thread. I also don't want my thread to get way too awkward.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
You *CAN* rant about something......but I am not trying to make this thread a drama thread. SO if you do *rant*, please god avoid absolutes like the following:

- All women are spawn of Satan and feed off my checkbook, and we don't want to see them get hungry!
- All men are egotistical pigs who crave nothing but sex and unrealistic physical perfection!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Also if someone is ranting, if you comment please try not to incite arguments. The thread is mostly geared so we can see how each other thinks, and what each other has experienced.

Anyways, being a gentlemen and a scholar I will go first:

Just a story of one of my army experiences:

So I was a paratrooper for 5 years. If you don't know what that is, I jumped out of planes. One of the craziest jumps I have ever had was one that I don't remember much about. I was waiting in the bird (dying as usual because wearing that gear for 6 hours+ kills) and I remember watching the light turn green (this meant we were ready to jump). I watched my buddies move fast in front of me handing their static line to the Jumpmaster, and jumping out the bird. My adrenaline hit and I started moving forward, excited and petrified all at the same time. I quickly handed my static line to the Jumpmaster, and then.......my memory fades. The next thing I knew I was sitting upright in front of a HUMVEE and I was talking to my squad leader (babbling according to him), then I remember riding the bus back to the barracks.

Why this is important is because when you jump you have to keep your feet and knees together. If you land and your feet are spread apart you can break your legs very easily, and also mess up your back. (Army parachutes fall much faster than civilian chutes). So what essentially happened was, I jumped out of the bird hit my head (trust me, go with it I don't want to waste text explaining what I hit my head on) and had a concussion.

Somehow I managed to avoid other jumpers (aka not get entangled in their lines), I managed to land myself (not very conscious) without injury, pack up my chute and gear, and head back over to the meeting spot while suffering from a concussion.
**** was cray yo. (wut?)

I have more stories but I want to hear you guys first, brag about yourself, tell me what you have done. Let us get to know each other!

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Great topic Zac!

I grew up in Pittsburgh, only child to still married parents (38 years married to be exact). I always had a love of the outdoors, water and nature, so most of my childhood I wanted to be a marine biologist (or a killer whale trainer at Sea World :)). I followed that dream until my Junior year of college until I realized it wasn't feasible - wasn't book smart enough and I needed something I could do all over the place (or world). So, being that I always loved maps and travel too, I decided to go to school for Cartography/GIS. Finished school (little state school in PA) in 2002 and got my first job at a nature conservancy in 2003. Moved to Columbus for a better paying job in 2005 and have been here pretty much ever since, in differing roles all having to deal with maps or engineering drawings (which I learned on the job). I love what I do, but I always wonder how my life would have been different if I followed my "impractical" dream.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Great topic Zac!

I grew up in Pittsburgh, only child to still married parents (38 years married to be exact). I always had a love of the outdoors, water and nature, so most of my childhood I wanted to be a marine biologist (or a killer whale trainer at Sea World :)). I followed that dream until my Junior year of college until I realized it wasn't feasible - wasn't book smart enough and I needed something I could do all over the place (or world). So, being that I always loved maps and travel too, I decided to go to school for Cartography/GIS. Finished school (little state school in PA) in 2002 and got my first job at a nature conservancy in 2003. Moved to Columbus for a better paying job in 2005 and have been here pretty much ever since, in differing roles all having to deal with maps or engineering drawings (which I learned on the job). I love what I do, but I always wonder how my life would have been different if I followed my "impractical" dream.

LOL, that's hilarious because I'm going to school to be an exotic animal handler/trainer!

Though I want to work with Tigers or Hyenas... or any other large land carnivore really. They're all pretty awesome.
  • kristen6022
    Options
    Great topic Zac!

LOL, that's hilarious because I'm going to school to be an exotic animal handler/trainer!

Though I want to work with Tigers or Hyenas... or any other large land carnivore really. They're all pretty awesome.

That's really great that you are following your love of animals. I think I could have been very good at the job and enjoyed it immensely, but to do it I'd have to live in a specific place and I realized I couldn't be THAT far from my family for that long...right now I'm 4 hours away and it's a great distance!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm Maria - don't think I've ever introduced myself or that anyone actually knows me by name. Judging by my screen name you can guess that I'm a Steelers fan. No, I didn't grow up in Pittsburgh but I do love that place.

I have an incredible love for travel. I love to pick up and go on road trips or fly somewhere. Traveling can be exhausting and being stuck on a plane with either sick people or screaming children (or both) is often annoying...but I just love the overall experience and arriving at my destination. I have no problem fitting in with my surroundings. I have this idea of seeing as many stadiums as possible since I also travel for football games. I have a (very) small list going for stadiums I have been to so far.
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Great topic Zac!

That's really great that you are following your love of animals. I think I could have been very good at the job and enjoyed it immensely, but to do it I'd have to live in a specific place and I realized I couldn't be THAT far from my family for that long...right now I'm 4 hours away and it's a great distance!

My understanding is the opposite - animal programs exist everywhere. As long as you are willing to compromise. If you specifically wanted to work at seaworld though, yeah it'd be pretty limited.

My goal is to work at the SD zoo or Safari Park, preferably with an animal ambassador, but until then I'll take a job anywhere to build up my experience and become a more desirable employee. Right now I volunteer at a rescue with farm animals and a few exotics.

Then again I don't have that family factor to consider, they already live 12 hours away from me :ohwell:
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to teach high school English and History. After I got my BA, I thought it would be a great idea to teach overseas for a year before finishing up my teaching certification/program. So I went to Seoul, South Korea...and ended up staying nearly 6 years. I also came back to Canada with no desire to teach anyone under 18..
    I did get to travel to China, Japan, Thailand and Vietnam twice each, as well as Cambodia, Laos and Taiwan...and saw and did some truly amazing things!
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    Maria, that is so super cool!
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I always wanted to teach high school English and History. After I got my BA, I thought it would be a great idea to teach overseas for a year before finishing up my teaching certification/program. So I went to Seoul, South Korea...and ended up staying nearly 6 years. I also came back to Canada with no desire to teach anyone under 18..
    I did get to travel to China, Japan, Thailand and Vietnam twice each, as well as Cambodia, Laos and Taiwan...and saw and did some truly amazing things!

Awesome! Do you speak Korean fluently?
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options

Awesome! Do you speak Korean fluently?

Fluently? Haha no. It is a language you have to study to master...and after teaching 8-10 hours a day, alcohol and dinner sounded better than going to another class! I have what I call "get by Korean"...restaurants, shopping, taxis, rude insults, swearing...you know..the basics.

Tidbit of info: The number 18 and the equivalent of *kitten*...is exactly the same word in Korean. Meaning changes with context. Awkward....
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    My name is Ricardo...prior military, prior law enforcement, and now current federal government employee. I've seen and done many things, have been to many places, yet nothing beats a quiet day at the lake with a tight line in the water. My appearance is deceiving, I often get the "bro, vato, ese, homie" type of treatment yet my days are so far removed from that type of lifestyle. I am educated and have worked hard to shed that background. I grew up around drugs and gangs, have lost two brothers to that lifestyle and am 100% against anything remotely resembling any of that.

On the surface, I can come off as very flirty and even crude. Truth be told, I love discussing a good book, philosophy, music, or even life in general. That's my closet nerd side...shhh, don't tell anyone.

A pleasure to "meet" you all and kudos to OP for this topic. I've been wondering about ya'll (yup..Texas boy is still in me!).
  • kristen6022
    Options
    Great topic Zac!

My understanding is the opposite - animal programs exist everywhere. As long as you are willing to compromise. If you specifically wanted to work at seaworld though, yeah it'd be pretty limited.

My goal is to work at the SD zoo or Safari Park, preferably with an animal ambassador, but until then I'll take a job anywhere to build up my experience and become a more desirable employee. Right now I volunteer at a rescue with farm animals and a few exotics.

Then again I don't have that family factor to consider, they already live 12 hours away from me :ohwell:

When I was little, I didn't care where I had to live to have the job I wanted, then I got older and realized that unless I wanted to train other animals, the marine route would be limiting. I can do what I do now ANYWHERE, so if I'd get married and we relocated I could find a job in my field where ever we landed and that was important to me. Oddly enough, at 34, never had that issue! :smile:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I'm Maria - don't think I've ever introduced myself or that anyone actually knows me by name. Judging by my screen name you can guess that I'm a Steelers fan. No, I didn't grow up in Pittsburgh but I do love that place.

I have an incredible love for travel. I love to pick up and go on road trips or fly somewhere. Traveling can be exhausting and being stuck on a plane with either sick people or screaming children (or both) is often annoying...but I just love the overall experience and arriving at my destination. I have no problem fitting in with my surroundings. I have this idea of seeing as many stadiums as possible since I also travel for football games. I have a (very) small list going for stadiums I have been to so far.

I have the same goal but for baseball stadiums.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options

Baseball stadiums are on my list too! :)
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    In case you couldn't guess by my Sn my name is Jen..call me Jenny at your peril...... I've never left Florida, never been on a plane and never seen snow....... I read 2 pages a minute and have the skill of remembering about 90% of what I read even years later. I am a total nerd (long before it was cool)... I own approx 1000 books.... I hate girly movies. I love horror and action films especially old school kung fu flicks.I've been a nurse for 13 years and at this point there is nothing left that can groos me out.. Seriously I won 200 dollars from some guy friends by making it the futherest in 2 girls 1 cup lol...... I'm a jets fan living in Miami so football season is always fun....I don't get hangovers and can drink most people under the table :drinker:
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm Shae, don't get to get on here much, but it's nice to "meet y'all".

Born and raised in Jax FL, it's home. My interesting story, don't have one really - other than I can cross one eye, yes just one, independently of the other and that's more of a talent than a story.

Although, when I was a child I wanted to be a pediatrician, then I found out all the sad things they did (yes in addition to the rewarding ones) and knew it wasn't my calling. I had the book smarts to get me there, but not the heart smarts to stick with it. So now I work for Corporate America earning my keep beihnd a desk. I'm content, but always looking for that little something more.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I dont' know that I have any great stories, but an important life event that makes me who I am.....is my parents's divorce. It was the best thing to happen to me-they both ended up back with their high school sweethearts, and then I got 3 more sisters in the process. I feel, and have always felt, that I have 4 parents :). When I got divorced, I used them as an example to keep things amicable, and my friend told me that she used my family as an example for her divorce/custody with her daughter---staying friendly with her ex, etc. My mother and stepmother are very good friends--it wasn't always this way---they were never mean/unfriendly, but in the past 20 years they have become VERY close. I realize it isnt' the norm, but I wouldn't have it any other way!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My name is Ricardo...prior military, prior law enforcement, and now current federal government employee. I've seen and done many things, have been to many places, yet nothing beats a quiet day at the lake with a tight line in the water. My appearance is deceiving, I often get the "bro, vato, ese, homie" type of treatment yet my days are so far removed from that type of lifestyle. I am educated and have worked hard to shed that background. I grew up around drugs and gangs, have lost two brothers to that lifestyle and am 100% against anything remotely resembling any of that.

On the surface, I can come off as very flirty and even crude. Truth be told, I love discussing a good book, philosophy, music, or even life in general. That's my closet nerd side...shhh, don't tell anyone.

A pleasure to "meet" you all and kudos to OP for this topic. I've been wondering about ya'll (yup..Texas boy is still in me!).

Brag: I'm such an outspoken leftist that if I went on even a single date with SVCAT he'd lose his security clearance! :laugh:
  • TheKitsune6
    Options
    I'm Emily, I have a couple interesting tidbits. My name is not one of them.

I lived in Germany (Bavaria mostly) for a good chunk of my childhood. Mom is from there and Dad was in the army and we got stationed back there. Though I identify most with Bavaria, my family is actually from Rheinland.

When I was 7 we moved to So Cal permanently and learned that schools in America are very different from schools in Germany - sis and I have a different sense of humor or something. Elena especially was a target for a lot of bullying by both teachers and students, whereas I learned to stand up for myself I protected my sister as best I could. We got through about half of a year of middle school because I got fed up with how slow public schooling moved and how much I disliked my peers and aspects of socialization. I told my parents they should homeschool us. They said no. So I stopped doing all schoolwork.

After going from a 4.0 student to a 1.85 my parents finally agreed to homeschool us. I did all the missing schoolwork in one week of summer school and we started homeschooling through a charter school - by far one of the best choices for us. I was able to learn at my own pace instead of waiting on others, I was able to learn on my own (mom and dad bought the books and I just did the work and they double checked) and ultimately was able to graduate a year early and had already started taking college courses at age 15. I played softball for 8 years, babysat a LOT and picked up other hobbies like Karate and Archery.

I'm also very nerdy, but I can't really pinpoint where that started because it was always a part of who I was. I was the kid that carried around a huge book of Grimms fairytales and a dictionary to read because it was interesting to me. Dad would read The Hobbit to us and we watched TNG with him. From there it just grew naturally. I thought everyone was into the same things.

Then my first BF happened and things fell a part a bit. I rediscovered who I was and what I wanted out of life. Ultimately that derailing was a huge part in stumbling across my new path so despite how long it took me to get here I try to not resent it. Now here I am, with my focus on animals.

/Novel
  • oualum26
    oualum26 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Me too!!! It's number one on my bucket list. I also have this dream of getting married at a baseball stadium!
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Hey gang,
    Ive been in this group for about a year now and some of you know me, as I know you...but because Zach asked, and I like the idea:

My name is Bill or Will, no preference. I just celebrated the tenth anniversary of my 29th birthday. I am a single father (not full time....I wish) looking to retire from Marine Infantry in the next year or two. To that end I am finishing up grad school, hopefully NLT this time next year and making contacts in the surrounding area so I can get a big boy job upon retirement.
    I like to have fun and dont usually take myself too seriously, there are more then enough times when life makes us be serious so when I find opportunities to let loose I try to take them. Divorced for quite awhile now and happily single.

I suddenly feel like Im filling out an online dating profile so Im just going to stop now and hit post reply.