• stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    wGwMRXu.jpg

Hilarious! Love to hate the Lannisters!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Anyone else think Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime) looks like Charming from Shrek?

Haha, yeah he does! He is so fine! His interviews are great.

I both love and hate the Lannisters. GRRM is all about DETAIL. Nobody should rush this man to write. I think it makes him take longer. FEAST was such a bore to me. Going to try and read it again, but I will wait patiently for TWOW. Already read all the "sneak peak" chapters. I'd like to see GRRM in a Santa suit.
  • DaniEdge9
    DaniEdge9 Posts: 34
    Options
    Obviously I don't know the man, but I hear my friends complaining about how long it takes him to finish these books, and so maybe these stories have become a burden to him.

That's my guess too. He's cut out a buttload of work for himself to finish and it must loom very threateningly at times. The thing that bums me out is that rather than considering getting help with the undertaking, he has ordered any unfinished works or notes to be destroyed upon his death and for the series not to be continued by anyone else, which means he doesn't care if millions of fans are left swinging in the wind and doesn't feel *responsible* to finish the many story lines he has started. If I were him I'd be lining up an understudy to entrust it to, particularly given his age and health. But then that's me.

Aye lord. You know when you like someone's work but don't like them...this may be one of those times. He sounds like an *kitten*.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,639 Member
    Options
    Obviously I don't know the man, but I hear my friends complaining about how long it takes him to finish these books, and so maybe these stories have become a burden to him.

That's my guess too. He's cut out a buttload of work for himself to finish and it must loom very threateningly at times. The thing that bums me out is that rather than considering getting help with the undertaking, he has ordered any unfinished works or notes to be destroyed upon his death and for the series not to be continued by anyone else, which means he doesn't care if millions of fans are left swinging in the wind and doesn't feel *responsible* to finish the many story lines he has started. If I were him I'd be lining up an understudy to entrust it to, particularly given his age and health. But then that's me.

Aye lord. You know when you like someone's work but don't like them...this may be one of those times. He sounds like an *kitten*.

To be fair, I can't cite the article I saw that in, and I also don't know what else may be at play. Maybe if he didn't take those legals steps and make it known, people would be spiking his chili dogs with arsenic in hopes of taking over the franchise. But if that really is his attitude, like a deranged pharaoh declaring that his children should be executed and entombed with him on his death because they are his property and not something that took on a life of their own after they issued from him, then yes, he's a jerk.

But it really only bothers me because he is producing the work so slowly and I really want to see how this all shakes out in the end, especially for the characters I like. I still get frustrated about the way Deadwood ended so abruptly. Once I'm invested, you'd better keep that mess comin'!
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Now I wonder if his contract with the show prevents them from continuing if they run out of his source novels before the series is complete...?
  • DaniEdge9
    DaniEdge9 Posts: 34
    Options
    Now I wonder if his contract with the show prevents them from continuing if they run out of his source novels before the series is complete...?

I'm sure that's not the case. If he died tomorrow they would not want to lose that cash cow, I don't see how any studio would willingly enter in to any sort of agreement like that.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options

Quite the opposite, actually. The HBO series producers are some of the only people who know what the intended ending to the series is. GRRM told them all they need to know to finish the show with his plotlines in mind if he were to pass away before the books are finished.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Quite the opposite, actually. The HBO series producers are some of the only people who know what the intended ending to the series is. GRRM told them all they need to know to finish the show with his plotlines in mind if he were to pass away before the books are finished.

Wasn't one of the few ways HBO was willing to spend the money on the series was if they also received partial ownership rights to the entire property - books included?
  • spud_chick
    Options

Wasn't one of the few ways HBO was willing to spend the money on the series was if they also received partial ownership rights to the entire property - books included?

That certainly makes more sense. And it might explain why the writers take so many liberties with the source material.

Here's hoping they don't have to finish the series for him.
  • mssgeni
    mssgeni Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Obsessively reading the books and watching the episodes. CAN'T WAIT FOR SUNDAY!!!!! :heart: :heart:
  • spud_chick
    Options
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Welllll....what did you all think???
  • spud_chick
    Options
    I was pleased, it looks like the show might be back on track after some questionable choices in season 2. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the characters are doing! It seemed so very short.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    [ Disclaimer : Have not read the books ]

Ha, I really liked the exchange between the Queen and the Queen-to-be. I have the feeling they are going to thoroughly hate each other.
  • ohenry78
    Options
    The episode was pretty good, I though. Not a ton happened plot-wise, but I thought that it did a great job of setting up some of the key stories for this season.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    Options
    I was pleased, it looks like the show might be back on track after some questionable choices in season 2. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the characters are doing! It seemed so very short.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

HBO obviously took a turn in Quarth. Didn't like some of those changes. I still love Dany and her dragons.

The start with Sam Tarly left me waiting... is his big moment going to not happen? Sexifying Missandei was unnecessary but to be expected of HBO.
  • ohenry78
    Options
    I was wondering about Sam's moment as well. I am pretty sure that that plays a huge part in his future actions.

Also, I agree about Missandei -- that was a bit weird having her be all schmexy and stuff.

I'm also curious about revealing Barristan Selmy right away. I suppose it's harder to conceal who he is in a TV show than a book, but for people like me who don't pick up on small hints that was a neat surprise later.
  • spud_chick
    Options
    If you haven't read the books, HERE THEY BE POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

Ordinarily I get really cranky about changes from the books, but on reflection (and discussion on the imdb boards) I came to terms with both Missandei 2.0 and the fast reveal on Barristan.

For Missandei, 1.) adult actors are less cumbersome and expensive to keep on a large production like this, and 2.) they will probably conflate/compact her with Irri, who is now dead on the show, and that will provide a close companion for a scene which we all know HBO is not going to pass up on--when Dany's close companion helps her get to sleep without the traditional glass of warm milk :wink:

For Barristan (and even the removal of Strong Belwas whom I lerve and will miss), if you have to trim out stuff then the long reveal and the awesome sidekick are places I can live with economizing, and besides yes, it would have been hard to contrive the extended sneaking.

So I'm largely okay with changes that involve compressing the story lines and characters in order to not discard them altogether, as long as they stop concocting new, off-road material that adds nothing to the story except lurid opportunities, like Ros who was invented out of whole cloth, the brothel that figured so prominently last season, and the S&M scene with Joffrey and the two *kitten* in which a disturbingly large phallic instrument threatened to turn the whole thing into a Caligula remake for a terrifying moment.

As annoyed as I get with the writers, it is a mammoth task they've undertaken. And I think/hope they may have heard the complaints about diverting from the books too often and ladling on the gratuitous (and imo badly written) sex (season 1 had a lot of sex and nudity but it wasn't as obviously superfluous as in season 2). This story gets bigger and bigger with each book so it must be increasingly hard to pack it into 10 little episodes. If HBO can figure out how to let non-cable-subscribers buy the show as it is released through a partner like Amazon, they'd probably be able to rake in more for production. I guess the cable companies don't want to do that. I know a couple of people who sign up for HBO just during GoT and then cancel because they can't afford it and don't really watch anything else on HBO.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what Spud_chick said. I already new about Missandei so it didnt affect my enjoyment of the show. The unsullied scene was good. I cringed at the nipple torture lol.

I'm a westeros.org frequenter... I must know everything going on in the world of Westeros!

I am a hbo/sho subscriber. Sunday's without either channels will depress me. I thought it was interesting to watch the fanbase grow from that very 1st episode. It continues to grow... so hopefully this will allow a bigger future budget. There was dissappointment that the battle @ the Fist of the First Men was pretty disregarded... trying to condense GRRMs stuff is a challenge indeed.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Not related to storylines but...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydRAb9cwHnA

Badass cello version of the intro song. The violin version by Jason Yang is also spectacular.