juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Currently 24%
    Goal: 17%
    me too! :drinker:
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 32% right now, and my first goal is 25%. Once I get to that, I'll set a new goal. Is anyone losing just body fat without lifting weights?
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 32% right now, and my first goal is 25%. Once I get to that, I'll set a new goal. Is anyone losing just body fat without lifting weights?
    Early on yes! But I think as more weight drops I will need to lift heavier to reach my goal!
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm at my goal of 13.5%.....I'd like to put on some more muscle, it's a work in progress :) For me, carb control really helps with body composition optimization!
  • hisclove
    Options
    I hadn't measured my % before. I am 30%. My goal is 18 - 20%.
    Back on paleo and have started cross fit.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't think this was accurate... it said I had 9 % body fat... not even close... my electric scale is closer to 25%... I def know its not 9 lol.. i wish!

Yeah, the calculations that depend on body measurements are the least accurate but I needed to start somewhere. Maybe when I get down into the 20's I'll start looking for a more accurate way to measure BF%.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I don't think this was accurate... it said I had 9 % body fat... not even close... my electric scale is closer to 25%... I def know its not 9 lol.. i wish!

Yeah, the calculations that depend on body measurements are the least accurate but I needed to start somewhere. Maybe when I get down into the 20's I'll start looking for a more accurate way to measure BF%.

I do love my hand held device. Just does body fat and bmi but that is okay, I don't want to see it daily on my weigh ins!
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do love my hand held device. Just does body fat and bmi but that is okay, I don't want to see it daily on my weigh ins!

What hand held device do you use?

Uncle Sam owes me a large chunk of change so I may be able to fork some over for a better BF% measuring device.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've read that those devices, as well as bathroom scales, tend to overestimate the BF% fairly significantly.

One thing they are good for is tracking progress for fat loss. If you went from 30% to 20% with one of those devices, it's safe to say you lost a significant amount of fat but doesn't necessarily mean you dropped 10% or that you're at 20%.

My scale says I'm at about 21%. My personal trainer assessed me at 13%. Measurements online have me at about 15-17%. I assume I'm somewhere in the 15-17% range.

I'm thinking of getting a reading from one of those body pods at some point to get an accurate measurement. I'll probably wait until I tone up a bit more though.

I'd love to get in under 10%.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Is anyone losing just body fat without lifting weights?

Not usually a good idea, consider that it's basically free muscle gains if you maintain it while losing fat. You can get pretty buff if you just become obese and then diet it off without losing the muscle. Of course your skin will need some work afterwards, but you will be very strong and lean.

It makes me sad seeing obese people diet down to skinny people with little muscle on them. I mean it's good that they lost all the fat, but holy hell they could have had an extra 40lbs of muscle on them if they had been lifting.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Is anyone losing just body fat without lifting weights?

Not usually a good idea, consider that it's basically free muscle gains if you maintain it while losing fat. You can get pretty buff if you just become obese and then diet it off without losing the muscle. Of course your skin will need some work afterwards, but you will be very strong and lean.

It makes me sad seeing obese people diet down to skinny people with little muscle on them. I mean it's good that they lost all the fat, but holy hell they could have had an extra 40lbs of muscle on them if they had been lifting.

^^^This x 10.

It actually saddens me when people diet to the extreme just to lose "weight" and end up losing so much muscle mass; if only they lifted and created a reasonable deficit, they would have looked like freaking gods, but instead they look like bean poles - and it's very obvious they've lost a lot of weight, as there's a very visible difference between someone naturally thin/lean and someone who's dieted down.

Keeping LBM is pretty much essential to successful dieting; when people don't lift and crash diet, they typically gain the weight back and more. Why? Because they don't have the LBM they used to have, aren't burning as many calories and, as an ironic if not hilarious result, get fatter than they were in the first place.
    So, in a addition to looking like a badass by dropping fat by lifting, you get to eat more, too. ^_^
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options

^^^This x 10.

It actually saddens me when people diet to the extreme just to lose "weight" and end up losing so much muscle mass; if only they lifted and created a reasonable deficit, they would have looked like freaking gods, but instead they look like bean poles - and it's very obvious they've lost a lot of weight, as there's a very visible difference between someone naturally thin/lean and someone who's dieted down.

Keeping LBM is pretty much essential to successful dieting; when people don't lift and crash diet, they typically gain the weight back and more. Why? Because they don't have the LBM they used to have, aren't burning as many calories and, as an ironic if not hilarious result, get fatter than they were in the first place.
    So, in a addition to looking like a badass by dropping fat by lifting, you get to eat more, too. ^_^

I am hoping to look 'bad *kitten*' and like a 'freaking Goddess" am lifting while losing!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I've read that those devices, as well as bathroom scales, tend to overestimate the BF% fairly significantly.

One thing they are good for is tracking progress for fat loss. If you went from 30% to 20% with one of those devices, it's safe to say you lost a significant amount of fat but doesn't necessarily mean you dropped 10% or that you're at 20%.

My scale says I'm at about 21%. My personal trainer assessed me at 13%. Measurements online have me at about 15-17%. I assume I'm somewhere in the 15-17% range.

I'm thinking of getting a reading from one of those body pods at some point to get an accurate measurement. I'll probably wait until I tone up a bit more though.

I'd love to get in under 10%.
    In my experience the bathroom scale bf calculation is fairly accurate. I had a pod bod measurement 4 yrs ago and it was only 2 % less than my bathroom scale. Last year I had a dexa body scan , and showed my bathroom scale was only 1% off.
    The online measurement base calculator was underestimating my bf by 4 %, which is also not the far.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Also my bf is 44% at the moment, yikes :( I just had a baby but still ....
    Anyway my goal is 20-22%. All the research I have read in medical journals showed that women fertility suffers if the bf is less then 20% , and if it goes below 18% serious malfunction of the reproductive system can occur.
    Although I have done have babies, I do not think it is healthy to go into a BF range where our normal hormonal system shuts down., IMHO.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    Also my bf is 44% at the moment, yikes :( I just had a baby but still ....
    Anyway my goal is 20-22%. All the research I have read in medical journals showed that women fertility suffers if the bf is less then 20% , and if it goes below 18% serious malfunction of the reproductive system can occur.
    Although I have done have babies, I do not think it is healthy to go into a BF range where our normal hormonal system shuts down., IMHO.

I do agree that our goal should be health! At about the same amount as you now I realize it will be sometime before I need to worry about going too low! Won't that be a great worry!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I've been at 19-20% for a long time and would love to drop a few % points. Really trying to clean up my diet and upping my workout intensity.
  • shelleycc
    Options
    About two weeks into my paleo journey, my new Tanita scale arrived. It measured my BF at 49.5%. Holy schmotz, I am 50% fat...how depressing is that??? <chuckle>

The numbers have been slowly and steadily dropping down, though, so I do take note of them. I've got a ways to go before I get close to that lovely 20% BF, and perhaps go looking for a more accurate measurement.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Goal #1: Get out of the obese zone. Trust me I'm there. Down 25lbs so far, I figure I have another 50 to go before I'm there.

Goal #2: Get down to sub 20%, revaluating fitness goals at the same time.

Goal #3: Successfully do a Spartan/Tough Mudder style race in 2014
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I'm 19-20% body fat according to both a bathroom scale and the online calculators that take measurements, and I'm happy with that. I had started at 33%.

I wanted to note that I have read online about the handheld body fat measuring tools and because the BIA signal is going through just your upper body. Therefore it tends to not be as accurate as one that you stand on where the BIA signal goes through your legs and lower body.

I've seen the super duper scales where you satnd on them AND hold a hand device out at shoulder level.....maybe this is even better?
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    I'm 19-20% body fat according to both a bathroom scale and the online calculators that take measurements, and I'm happy with that. I had started at 33%.

I wanted to note that I have read online about the handheld body fat measuring tools and because the BIA signal is going through just your upper body. Therefore it tends to not be as accurate as one that you stand on where the BIA signal goes through your legs and lower body.

I've seen the super duper scales where you satnd on them AND hold a hand device out at shoulder level.....maybe this is even better?

That makes sense to me! I didn't buy one you stand on and because I didn't want to see my body fat every time I weighed in. I am obsessed about enough with out adding that to it too! Haha