Body Fat % Goals

Options

Replies

• feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    According to that F2F calculator, to get to my goal BF of about 22% I would be the same measurements as when I was anorexic! I'm not sure that's realistic or healthy for me...

I've been getting frustrated because I haven't been losing much WEIGHT, but my BF has gone from 46-37% so I guess I'm making some progress! My real BF goal is 25% for now.

I've been eating more and more primal in the past 6-9 months, although there are some things I simply can't get rid of (dairy and chocolate, mostly). I definitely feel the difference when my carbs are 50-80g and my protein is over 100g.
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    28%/20%
  • JasonKoverman
    JasonKoverman Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Currently between 20%-21%. Goal is 15%. I never measured when I started getting healthier, but I would guess I was over 50% and probably closer to 55%.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    People are doing awesome! ICant wait to bring my numbers down!
  • carriagetown
    Options
    Silly question: when they say measure your hips at the widest point, does that mean at the very top of the thigh (at the "saddlebags")? Trying to get body fat % at F2F, and am horrified. I'm even more horrified that to get down to 20%, I'd have to weigh 120 at 5' 7". That's WAY TOO thin for me. I think if I were to hit the 130's, people would be trying to hospitalize me. lol.
  • ajwolters
    Options
    Silly question: when they say measure your hips at the widest point, does that mean at the very top of the thigh (at the "saddlebags")? Trying to get body fat % at F2F, and am horrified. I'm even more horrified that to get down to 20%, I'd have to weigh 120 at 5' 7". That's WAY TOO thin for me. I think if I were to hit the 130's, people would be trying to hospitalize me. lol.

Where ever the measurement is biggest on your hips and around your butt, that's where you measure.

I know someone that is 5'7" and weighs 140 and she looks healthy & thin. She has a medium frame. Another friend is a small/medium frame like me, is 5'5" and weighs 115 - she looks healthy & thin, too. There are sites out there you can use to get your frame size by measuring your elbow or your wrist. If your frame is medium or large, then yeah, 120 would be horrid for you :)
  • carriagetown
    Options
    Thank you for the response. I was reeling from the 42% body fat along with 120 lb suggestion this morning. I'm heavier than I'd like to be, but not by 40 lbs. lol. I think 140-ish would be much healthier looking, especially considering that I'm 40-something, not 20. lol. i think I've mostly recovered, and my plan is to do the 21 day sugar detox starting on Monday. That will give me the weekend to plan and prep. Wish me luck. I hope to re-calibrate my sweet tooth which consistently looks for fruit, dried fruit, and sometimes the ice cream that's calling me from the freezer....
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm around 30% and would like to get down to around 25%. With my shape, body comp and goals, 25% seems maintainable. I lift heavy and my primary goal is to gain strength, so I'm not really down for getting super super lean.
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My bathroom scale says I'm 27-30% depending on the day, if I've just had a glass of water, etc, etc. My husband (not a professional) measured me with calipers at @ 22%. My guess is that I'm somewhere in between? My goal is 18% measured with calipers, or until I can start to see my abs... lol.

I figured out recently that since early November (when we got the calipers) I dropped @ 5% bf, or by my calculation 12 lbs and 10.5-11 of them were fat. I'm pretty happy with that, but would like other opinions. I'm not lifting, I just do squats, planks, pushups, & ab stuff a few times a week, and I do zumba for cardio--because it's fun! I'm guessing I'd benefit from lifting.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    13.8% according to the hand held thingy at the gym, 17.7% according to my scale at home. IDK.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    13.8% according to the hand held thingy at the gym, 17.7% according to my scale at home. IDK.
    Either way awesome!
  • ronja2
    ronja2 Posts: 36
    Options
    This is a really interesting topic mainly because I am startled at how low people's, especially women's, body fat percentage (current and goals) seems to be. Mind you I am definitely not an expert in the subject matter, but everything I have ever read and learned about good body fat percentages in healthy, active women talked about 18-20% as optimal. Female athletes can get as low as 10% but that's the extreme.

I started out at 37% about a month ago and had it determined through a medical imaging body composition scan that included body fat %, lean muscle mass, bone density & weight, etc. so I deem it fairly accurate. My goal is 20-23%. If anyone has some good and credible reading suggestions on what's considered healthy/optimal I'd love to hear them.

Side note: Every body is obviously different and people need to find a level that is right for them and make them feel great and healthy. I am saying this because I don't mean to judge anyone with low body fat percentages - everybody here works hard to achieve their goals and we all know how much work and dedication it takes to get to where we want to be. I am just curious about the scientific side of things.
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Here is a page with the typical body fat %-age chart and a newer one with ages included in it.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
  • ronja2
    Options
    Here is a page with the typical body fat %-age chart and a newer one with ages included in it.

http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

Thanks, great article - especially the chart that takes age into consideration is very helpful. Exactly what I was looking for.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm at 14% now, I have revised my goal to 8% instead of 9!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options
    This is a really interesting topic mainly because I am startled at how low people's, especially women's, body fat percentage (current and goals) seems to be. Mind you I am definitely not an expert in the subject matter, but everything I have ever read and learned about good body fat percentages in healthy, active women talked about 18-20% as optimal. Female athletes can get as low as 10% but that's the extreme.

I started out at 37% about a month ago and had it determined through a medical imaging body composition scan that included body fat %, lean muscle mass, bone density & weight, etc. so I deem it fairly accurate. My goal is 20-23%. If anyone has some good and credible reading suggestions on what's considered healthy/optimal I'd love to hear them.

Side note: Every body is obviously different and people need to find a level that is right for them and make them feel great and healthy. I am saying this because I don't mean to judge anyone with low body fat percentages - everybody here works hard to achieve their goals and we all know how much work and dedication it takes to get to where we want to be. I am just curious about the scientific side of things.

I am striving for GOOD HEALTH,at 40 % I am far from it. However I too believe good health is more then a super low body fat %. For me 20% sounds healthy and not skinny! I know many people with low % who look horrible.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    Options

Many of the post with low percents are from men too, who have less body fat!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I am striving for GOOD HEALTH,at 40 % I am far from it. However I too believe good health is more then a super low body fat %. For me 20% sounds healthy and not skinny! I know many people with low % who look horrible.

Exactly. Like me. :bigsmile:

Good health and LBM is FAR more important than a low body fat - good health of course refers to both healthy body, and healthy mind. Having an unhealthy attitude towards food sounds horrid to me.
  • ronja2
    Options

Exactly. Like me. :bigsmile:

Good health and LBM is FAR more important than a low body fat - good health of course refers to both healthy body, and healthy mind. Having an unhealthy attitude towards food sounds horrid to me.

Amen!
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Currently 27%
    Goal 20-23% depending on how I look