is fruit my undoing?

Options
babymaddux
babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
so i've been trying to follow the primal lifestyle since the start of the year. home cooking, no artificial sweeteners, no grains, no added sugar - those are my focus points. i cook nearly everything i eat myself now though i do buy rotisserie chicken. i have a couple squares of 72% dark chocolate every day, usually with a box of raspberries or strawberries, it satisfies my receding sweet tooth. i've been eating quite a bit of cheese though i'm trying to cut back on that now. and i love red peppers, i have at least 2 a day.
i'm only weighing myself once a month, but as of feb 1, i'd lost 3lbs. and i don't think i've lost any more since. i keep seeing people talking about how they've lost 10lbs in a week, 30lbs in a month etc. what am i doing wrong? my grain intake before i switched was pretty low anyway, but i did eat a lot of sugar. i haven't significantly increased my exercise, but as it's getting lighter in the evenings now, i've started adding in a dog walk in the evening, 3.5 miles takes us just over an hour. and when i'm allowed to again, i'm going to try swimming a couple times a week.
is it the combination of cheese and fruit? cutting back on the cheese is doable, the fruit, i'm not so sure about. i'm slowing reintroducing apples as i've just found out my childhood allergy appears to have gone (hadn't eaten apples in almost 20 years). caramel apples probably aren't the best way to do this, but i was always incredibly jealous of friends eating them.

any advice is welcome, even if i don't like what you're saying :laugh:

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I was going to say maybe the fruit was causing you to have too much carbs, but I peeked at your diary and your macros seem to be in a good place. Maybe try adding a little more healthy fat (coconut oil, butter or ghee, olive oil, avocado, nuts...etc) and see if that helps. Also, I find (and this JUST ME, everyone is different), that if I keep my carbs under 100g/day, I lose weight. If I stick around 100-150, I maintain. You may try to reducing them just a little (eat half an apple, instead of the whole thing?). Also, if you haven't done a Whole30, many people find that it pushes them off that plateau... It may also break some of your sugar habits (not that you have a raging sugar addiction that I can see!)

http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/ - for more info on the whole30
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    ^Agreed. More fat, less fruit. If you feel "resistant" to the idea of reducing fruit, that could be a signal that the sugar is a bit of an addiction. Sugar is sugar. Not all natural things are necessarily healthy in large amounts. For me, I have a very low tolerance for sugar. Even just a half of a banana can lead me to craving and wanting to over-eat, for DAYS after. Cheese is also problematic for me at times; I don't tend to over-eat it but methinks I love it too much. Something I am in deep contemplation about addressing.. lol
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    I am an (ex)cheese/dairy lover! Since cutting dairy, I have found that it really does make me very bloated and uncomfortable. I don't know if I can blame it for not losing weight, but I definitely think I'm better off without it! Although, it wasn't easy to let go of...
  • Vmg773
    Vmg773 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was going to say maybe the fruit was causing you to have too much carbs, but I peeked at your diary and your macros seem to be in a good place. Maybe try adding a little more healthy fat (coconut oil, butter or ghee, olive oil, avocado, nuts...etc) and see if that helps. Also, I find (and this JUST ME, everyone is different), that if I keep my carbs under 100g/day, I lose weight. If I stick around 100-150, I maintain. You may try to reducing them just a little (eat half an apple, instead of the whole thing?). Also, if you haven't done a Whole30, many people find that it pushes them off that plateau... It may also break some of your sugar habits (not that you have a raging sugar addiction that I can see!)

This is like the nicest response ever!
  • babymaddux
    Options
    well, i can eat 3lbs of grapes without even noticing i've opened the bag!
    right now, i've got it down to 6oz of raspberries in the morning. i've also had strawberries today, but that's not as regular. i've always had a thing for 'sweet'.
    i have looked at the whole 30 plan before, it scared me lol
  • babymaddux
    Options

This is like the nicest response ever!

i agree :smile:
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    you might want to just play with the number of calories you are having... I peeked at your diary and some days you are having over 2000. I know the whole primal/paleo thing states you should not count calories, but it is a fact that if you consume as many calories than your body needs to function, you are not goign to lose weight. If you are open to it, i'd try to stick with what you are doing, but recude your calories to say 1400-1500 for a week and see what the scale does.

just my opinion, not fact, and I am not a paleo/primal expert - infact I am very new to it.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    right now, i've got it down to 6oz of raspberries in the morning. i've also had strawberries today, but that's not as regular. i've always had a thing for 'sweet'.

I will tell you that the anxiety I had leading up to my first one was the hardest part! Once you do it, you'll be like "well, what was I so worried about?! This is EASY!". Seriously.
  • SnicciFit
    Options

We all have trigger foods (or as Melissa & Dallas of Whole30 call it in their book "It Starts With Food" FOOD WITH NO BRAKES). Sounds like your food with no brakes is grapes. Mine is bananas. And pistachios. :) By the way, if you're into books, that's a great one!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I remember reading somewheres, can't remember where, that women on the paleo diet that wish to lose weight, should limit their fruit intake, fruit every other day I guess , not everyday. This isn't the article I read but another one I found

http://everydaypaleo.com/the-skinny-on-fruit/
  • babymaddux
    Options
    you might want to just play with the number of calories you are having... I peeked at your diary and some days you are having over 2000. I know the whole primal/paleo thing states you should not count calories, but it is a fact that if you consume as many calories than your body needs to function, you are not goign to lose weight. If you are open to it, i'd try to stick with what you are doing, but recude your calories to say 1400-1500 for a week and see what the scale does.

just my opinion, not fact, and I am not a paleo/primal expert - infact I am very new to it.

the first month, i stuck pretty closely to 1600, and i know that's the 1lb a week number which is kinda close to what i eventually lost. i guess i'm just trying to understand why so many people can lose huge numbers but it didn't work for me. i'm incredibly impatient when it comes to weight loss. i think it's why i've never managed to lose a lot before. i want to see the big numbers, and if i don't, i just think sod it lol
  • babymaddux
    Options
    I remember reading somewheres, can't remember where, that women on the paleo diet that wish to lose weight, should limit their fruit intake, fruit every other day I guess , not everyday. This isn't the article I read but another one I found

http://everydaypaleo.com/the-skinny-on-fruit/

that's my fear. fruit is kind of my saviour now. i don't really miss candy or cakes and treats etc. but i do love my fruit :cry:
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Ha! You're as bad as I am.

My advice: whenever you get a craving for fruit, eat a starch. Bake a potato or sweet potato in your microwave and scoff it down. Works for me, every time.
  • babymaddux
    Options

My advice: whenever you get a craving for fruit, eat a starch. Bake a potato or sweet potato in your microwave and scoff it down. Works for me, every time.

i'll look into that. have a think about what i can have on my desk at work. that's where i do the mindless nibbling...
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

i'll look into that. have a think about what i can have on my desk at work. that's where i do the mindless nibbling...

Bake up some sweet potato or potato chips/crisps, store them in a baggie and bring them to work with you. :)
  • babymaddux
    Options

Bake up some sweet potato or potato chips/crisps, store them in a baggie and bring them to work with you. :)

that could definitely work :flowerforyou:
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

that's my fear. fruit is kind of my saviour now. i don't really miss candy or cakes and treats etc. but i do love my fruit :cry:

that is exactly how I feel about fruit!!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I wish I could find that article, it might have been under the marks daily apple website, I am sure.... I know it sucks...but our body justs knows a carb is a carb, no matter where it comes from :ohwell: if I find it I'll post it here
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think it's too much fruit/carbs. I'd try limiting it for a week or two and just see what happens.