A hard time with week 4 of C25K

bttrthanevr
bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
I was doing great. Although I could barely make it through the minute runs when I started, I progressed well and was on track until week 4. I have tried twice and I can't get through Week 4 Day 2. Should I re-do week three? Or keep repeating Week 4 Day 2 until I get it? I have noticed that the Running Revolution group starting next week runs more sets of shorter length runs over a longer time (45mins versus the 4 runs in each 28-34 min session of the the app I am using). What is best? Did anyone else encounter this? I am trying to not get discouraged. I want to run a 1.5 mile race on the first of May.

Replies

• wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Week 4 was without a doubt the toughest week for me. Were you OK with w4d1? I would recommend trying w4d2 again, but slowing your pace down. I had to back off my pace that week as well, and it made all the difference in the world.
  • bttrthanevr
    Actually W4D1 was hard too. I broke to a walk for a few seconds in the two longer runs, but I was outside (up and down hills in 28 degree windy weather) and I added 2/10ths of mile at the end to make up for it. So I thought I could try W4D2 inside on the track. But it was no go. I could not run the 5 min interval without walking some.

The pace is probably an issue, but if I slow down past a certain point, I don't feel like I am running at all and somehow it seems harder.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    You need to slow down. Try running as fast as you are walking for awhile. I think that's what week 4 is for: slowing you down so you can get through the rest of the program.
  • bttrthanevr
    Ok, I will try to consciously go slower. I will let you know how it goes. I run again tomorrow.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Just keep trying. I wouldn't go back to week 3 if you've already made it through W4D1, just keep trying until you get it, and definilty pace yourself. The 5 minute run is really hard if you try to do it too fast.
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    I agree with the others: allow yourself to go as slowly as it takes to get through the intervals, but don't go backwards. I started and stopped C25K several times before I completed the program. There is no shame in staying at one week (or one day!) longer than the suggested time. You can do it!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    When I had trouble with a week the first time I did C25K, I just repeated the workout until I felt comfortable with it and then moved on to the next week. Sometimes that was one extra day, sometimes that was repeating an entire week before my body adapted. But if you continue to apply steady pressure, your body WILL adapt. It has no choice.
  • likitisplit
    Also, as I was running today, I realized something that I wanted to share (I'm a graduate).

I ran the first 15 minutes as fast as I could and then slowed to a jog for the second half so I could make the full 30 minutes. When I run fast, I unconsciously move my body into good running form: torso pulled up and hips balanced over toes. When I slow down, it's easy to slump and that gives me that clomping feeling. However, when I concentrate on maintaining good form, I jog as smoothly and efficiently as I was running - I just go a lot more slowly.
  • bttrthanevr
    Thank you all for the support and great advice!! I did W4D2 again tonight and amazingly it wasn't that bad! Totally different day today. I slowed down, tried to keep good form (the no slouching tip really helped I think) and just tried to relax. I think it was mental really. I actually felt like I could have run more! Crazy!
  • likitisplit
    Awesome! The other thing is that some days are just harder than others - even if you've been running for years. But, as one of my podcasts says "Even a bad run is better than no run at all" and I'm really beginning to believe that.
  • bttrthanevr
    Thanks Varaemi, Boston Wolf, and ShannonKN! You are so encouraging and helpful! I can believe that I might just make it to be a real runner! :-)
  • bttrthanevr
    Oh, and I must forget, Thamks to Wadedawg too!
  • bttrthanevr
    er, MUST NOY forget wadedawg ( i am a horrible typist!)
  • bttrthanevr
    NOT!! Geesh! OK done now...
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    IMO Week 4 is one of the hardest weeks - I did W4D1 tonight and had a much easier time of it than I did my last time through because I slowed my pace down. I want to run faster but I know I won't make it through if I do!
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    You need to slow down. Try running as fast as you are walking for awhile. I think that's what week 4 is for: slowing you down so you can get through the rest of the program.

This is what I did today. It helped a lot! I figure the neighbors could laugh along with me as I hobbled down the street.

Week 4 is a good opportunity to work on pacing.
  • kvossandrews
    kvossandrews Posts: 210 Member
    I am on week 5. The only thing that sees me through is taking it slow. Sometimes I thing I can walk faster but at least im out there doing it. You can work on speed after you have finished...
  • likitisplit
    Your neighbors laugh at you? You mean the ones sitting on their butts in their living rooms???

Trust me, anybody who sees you out there has nothing but the deepest respect for you. They actually probably think that you have this special magical capacity for running that they lack :)

My experience was that not only did I have the opportunity to work on speed after C25k, the program also built the physical capacity, the mental willingness and the desire to become a better runner. I realize now that, if I'd tried to work on speed in Week 4, I would have been trying to develop myself prematurely and burning myself out to no purpose. If you finish a run easily and feel kind of bored, by all means pick up the pace a little - but don't push yourself yet. Leave something for after ;)
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    ^^ totally agree with the above. I completed day 2 of wk 6 this morning and I do run very slow but I know at some point I'll work on speed. I had one runner run past me but acknowledged me with a "hello" and off he went, effortlessly. I just thought "respect"!

The programme I'm following is the NHS C25K and Laura, the coach, offers a running tip where you imagine you're running alongside a tall hedge and if there was a person on the other side of that hedge and they could see your head bobbing up and down, they would think you were walking and not running. That's how slow I run. I always imagine that hedge in my head while running and keep to a smooth, steady pace. It's working for me anyway.

Good luck with the rest of the programme, you're half way there.
  • bttrthanevr
    Wow! Thanks everyone! I finished W4D3 today and I even added 3 "sprints" to the end. I put sprints in quotes because those laps were 1/10th of a mile in about 55 seconds each. Hardly sprinting, but more like running than the jogging speed of my 5 and 3minute runs. The advice to slow down really really helped. That was definitely the key. I don't feel as intimidated by what's coming as I did before...at least at this moment! LOL! And I got my 1/2 way to 5K badge! :-)!!!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Your neighbors laugh at you? You mean the ones sitting on their butts in their living rooms???

Trust me, anybody who sees you out there has nothing but the deepest respect for you. They actually probably think that you have this special magical capacity for running that they lack :)

My experience was that not only did I have the opportunity to work on speed after C25k, the program also built the physical capacity, the mental willingness and the desire to become a better runner. I realize now that, if I'd tried to work on speed in Week 4, I would have been trying to develop myself prematurely and burning myself out to no purpose. If you finish a run easily and feel kind of bored, by all means pick up the pace a little - but don't push yourself yet. Leave something for after ;)

LOVE this advice, especially the first line! I am currently on W6D3 and taking it slow and steady. Best of luck to everyone!!
  • likitisplit
    You all rock!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Stick with it. I had some trouble with W5D3 yesterday, just going to regroup and repeat it Saturday and then move on from there.
  • fitplease

LOL. Some of them are probably on their couches watching me pass by. If they think I have a magical capacity, it's just the dedication to listen to and obey an mp3 until the 30 minutes are up.

I would have a hard time pushing myself right now, but that is a good thing to remember if I feel like pushing it later. I have fun running to the beat and almost feel like I am dancing when I run. (I am using the NHS podcast: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx#close) I couldn't stomach that techno stuff, which I know some people love for just that purpose, i.e. running to the beat.
  • bttrthanevr
    I did W5D1 today with no problems. I even added 2 additional laps during my cool down. I can't wait to run again! NEVER EVER thought I would feel this way about any form of exercise! LOL! Unfortunately the scale is stuck...I haven't lost a single pound this week (a goal secondary to my 5K aspirations). This is in spite of carefully counting every calorie and staying within my calorie limits. (???) I'm trying to focus on the running wins and not let that get me down.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    try eating alittle more protein about an hour before your run
    I eat a hard boiled egg an hour before or toast with peanut butter
  • bttrthanevr
    I had read something about having protein before you run. I will give it a try...
  • fitplease
    I just finished W4D3. The last two days were harder. Today, I feel like I can go onto W5D1. The key is to take it slow. Later on, you can build your speed. For right now, work on distance. If you don't feel good about moving on, take another day or so to do it.
  • fitplease
    The programme I'm following is the NHS C25K and Laura, the coach, offers a running tip where you imagine you're running alongside a tall hedge and if there was a person on the other side of that hedge and they could see your head bobbing up and down, they would think you were walking and not running. That's how slow I run. I always imagine that hedge in my head while running and keep to a smooth, steady pace. It's working for me anyway.

That imaginary hedge really helps! (I hope the neighbors don't think I'm crazy when I peer into their car window to check out my bobbing. LOL. Not that I care!)
  • likitisplit
    My trainer mentioned that many people see a slight weight gain at the beginning of a new fitness routine. The thing is, with all the muscles you'll be adding, your resting metabolism will be so much higher in a few weeks, so it will be easier to lose weight in the end.