A hard time with week 4 of C25K

2»

Replies

• Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    I had trouble with every week! I just did week 9 day 1 today. You are getting great advice from everyone and I second the slowing down I did that in the middle of the program and now for the last two weeks I am running as fast during the long runs as I was during the short runs in the beginning. Speed will come.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Vardemi, I do SO hope you are right! I try to tell myself "muscle weighs 4 times as much as fat" but I'm not sure if I believe me!
  • bttrthanevr
    The programme I'm following is the NHS C25K and Laura, the coach, offers a running tip where you imagine you're running alongside a tall hedge and if there was a person on the other side of that hedge and they could see your head bobbing up and down, they would think you were walking and not running. That's how slow I run. I always imagine that hedge in my head while running and keep to a smooth, steady pace. It's working for me anyway.

That imaginary hedge really helps! (I hope the neighbors don't think I'm crazy when I peer into their car window to check out my bobbing. LOL. Not that I care!)

I have been imagining the hedge too! And it works! I completed W5D2 (the 5-8-5 run sequence) with no problems. I almost can't believe that this C25K is working! IOnce you find the right pace, it gets you where you need to be just when you need to be there.
  • bttrthanevr
    I had trouble with every week! I just did week 9 day 1 today. You are getting great advice from everyone and I second the slowing down I did that in the middle of the program and now for the last two weeks I am running as fast during the long runs as I was during the short runs in the beginning. Speed will come.

I so appreciate the advice and encouragement I'm getting here...I think without it I might have failed in week 4...now I am looking forward to two 8 min runs on Wednesday!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Isn't the program amazing? My daughter has been watching a lot of Tinker Bell lately and it lead me to believe that C25K was invented by fairies. Think of a wonderful thought - Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust - and you can do it! You can FLY!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Remember, the C25k is not about pushing yourself at all. It's about doing the distance. Speed comes later!

Great job everyone who is on the plan!
  • bttrthanevr
    This program IS amazing! I'm sure it has changed many lives. It is changing mine. Tonight I ran with a women's running group and we ran 1.2 miles with only one major break to stretch in the middle of the run and I wasn't left in the dust...wasn't the fastest either, but I held my own!

Only thing was I wanted to keep going...the "going the distance" part. (Actually, "Going the Distance" is one of my running songs. :-)) I credit the C25K for my desire to keep going. It is definitely building my endurance steadily. I will revert to my C25K program on Wednesday. I can't wait!