You know what I hate.................You know what I hate

Replies

• ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member

I hate when the large therapy pool is empty yet there are 3 lanes of the laps pool with people with foam dumbbells and noodles. get that **** outta here!

i also hate when someone asks if we can share a lane and then they "swim" - like the jellyfish style mentioned before in this thread, and jog back to the start. You could easily do this again in the therapy pool. Its big enough.

An easy fix to ward off jellyfishers is to start sprinting hard regardless of where you are in your set the minute a jellyfisher walks out onto the deck.

I hate when somebody comes to split the lane, but enters on the wrong side of the pool forcing you to either stop in the middle of a lap or just keep going and as a result they basically get to choose the side of the lane they want. I got pinned up against the wall yesterday when this happened, and I was just starting a breaststroke set. I kicked the wall a fair amount more than I would have liked. It also sucks for back. I follow specific lines in specific lanes. If you force me into the wrong side of the lane, I'm gonna go all zig zaggy trying to adjust to new bearings on the ceiling.

I hate when idiots prep their protein drinks in the locker room. Seriously, guys! Not only is this the antithesis of hygienic, but some of you idiots have problems getting the powder into your shaker cup, and it ends up on the floor. Then I come along after hitting it hard in the pool, and I step in your powder. My feet are now sticky thanks to your complete ineptitude.
    -End Rant-
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Well it isn't a what I hate but is a bit funny about swimming ettiquite.

Tonight I wanted to share a lane, and I waited until the gal came down and stopped. I asked her if she wanted to circle swim or split left and right. She said she didn't care, so I suggested splitting. She was just a tiny bit faster than me.

After about 10 laps, I flip over and there she is right in front of me. I manage to avoid a collision, and she stop and starts apologizing profusely that she got lost in her thoughts and reverted to circle swimming. I asked if she just wanted to switch to circle swimming and she said yes. We circle swam until she was done with her workout.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    I hate it when I feel compelled to skip the butterfly portion of my workout because of poor swimmers or babies in the pool. Really, it's because management won't put up lave dividers. So my sim is too aggressive for the old folks struggling to jog in the deep end.

I also hate, hate, hate thunderstorm days because the pools close when its storming i hate having to change my whole day around to accommodate the weather.
  • matthew_b
    I hate it when I feel compelled to skip the butterfly portion of my workout because of poor swimmers or babies in the pool. Really, it's because management won't put up lave dividers. So my sim is too aggressive for the old folks struggling to jog in the deep end.

If the reason they won't put them in is because of laziness, ask if they'll let you put them in and then take them back out. Our swim teams put them in and take them out when they use the pool. Lap swimmers in the morning also have permission to add lane lines if they aren't there, so long as the management knows that the people putting them in know what they are doing (not over tightening).
  • matthew_b
    You know what I hate? Hearing "Swimming isn't a hard workout, you push off the wall and float along to the other side of the pool."

I've yet to be taken up on the offer of going for a swim together so they can show me how easy it is.
  • feesh510
    feesh510 Posts: 14
    I love seeing new swimmers who have taken the time to read the swim etiquette rules thoughtfully posted by management in a prominent position.

I hate the jellyfish swimmers who I've seen regularly for months who STILL hop in the Medium pace lanes and obstruct people when circle swimming is required due to crowding.

I hate hair balls, band aids and other gross stuff in the water.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member

If the reason they won't put them in is because of laziness, ask if they'll let you put them in and then take them back out. Our swim teams put them in and take them out when they use the pool. Lap swimmers in the morning also have permission to add lane lines if they aren't there, so long as the management knows that the people putting them in know what they are doing (not over tightening).

I think I will ask them. Thanks for the idea!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member

I think I will ask them. Thanks for the idea!

The BF is not exactly what one would call a pool share friendly stroke. The experienced swimmer at my Y only do it when the pool is rather sparsely populated. Even lane rope can't stop a powerful BF from swamping someone in the next lane. And it is never done when lane splitting.
    I never really learned that one. Tried it a couple time with fins.
    It is one of the most artful strokes when done properly and amazing to watch. But I wouldn't want to be in the next lane over from someone doing the BF.
  • fishgutzy
    Finally have a gripe.
    Got to the Y at 4:55 for the 5am opening today.
    The lifeguard that was supposed to be on was a no show. Pool opening would be delayed until 5:45. Damn. Now I have to hope that they is no lightening this evening if I want to swim. But I also have to bring my daughter the Y for her trainer time. Might just hit the weight room instead.
  • fishgutzy

I hate when the large therapy pool is empty yet there are 3 lanes of the laps pool with people with foam dumbbells and noodles. get that **** outta here!

i also hate when someone asks if we can share a lane and then they "swim" - like the jellyfish style mentioned before in this thread, and jog back to the start. You could easily do this again in the therapy pool. Its big enough.

Thankfully, at my Y the life guards tell those doing "aqua fit" activity in the lap lanes to move over to the rec/therapy section of the pool.

Got swamped once by a flailing jelly fish doing an attempt at back stroke that should never be done when lane splitting. He now goes later in the evening when he doesn't have to risk others and can have a lane to himself. I can't get too upset at him. He is physically limited due to a back injury and he is doing more than the average couch potato. But I did suggest he take adult swim lessons to improve his technique.
  • matthew_b
    The BF is not exactly what one would call a pool share friendly stroke. The experienced swimmer at my Y only do it when the pool is rather sparsely populated. Even lane rope can't stop a powerful BF from swamping someone in the next lane. And it is never done when lane splitting.
    I never really learned that one. Tried it a couple time with fins.
    It is one of the most artful strokes when done properly and amazing to watch. But I wouldn't want to be in the next lane over from someone doing the BF.

Thanks to the butterfly I know my laryngospasm reflex works.

During high school season we have two teams, and I'm often sharing the pool with them. One team has lanes 1-4, 5 is lap and 6 is lessons. The second team is larger and has 1-5 and 6 is open for lap. As usual, the inexperienced swimmers are in lane 1 where the coaches can watch closer and they get faster with the best in the highest lane. I've gotten used to watching for them switching to BF, because as you note, a powerful swimmer can throw water right over the lane line.

One time I wasn't paying attention, and a wave broke over me right as I tried to take a breath. I've gotten pretty good at reacting fast enough not to choke, but this time I inhaled hard and water went down my throat. It was a good 10 seconds that I absolutely couldn't breath.

I don't put this down as something I hate though.... They were using the pool as intended, and I'm sharing with them. It's up to me to deal with them while they are there.
  • matthew_b
    Got swamped once by a flailing jelly fish doing an attempt at back stroke that should never be done when lane splitting. He now goes later in the evening when he doesn't have to risk others and can have a lane to himself. I can't get too upset at him. He is physically limited due to a back injury and he is doing more than the average couch potato. But I did suggest he take adult swim lessons to improve his technique.

Some of the people I share with do backstroke. If they know how to hold the line and stay on their side I don't mind at all. I don't try with anyone in the lane... My big hesitation is I'm still trying to learn the flip and I'm not doing it well yet.
  • matthew_b
    You know what I hate.... The US dumped the metric system conversion in '82. The pool I swim in was built in '01, no doubt it would be 25m not 25 yrd had that not happened.

I just can't make my OCD tendencies happy. 35.2 laps for a mile. The only possible way to make things even close is to do 44 laps (1-1/4 mile) or 88 laps (2-1/2 miles). The only time it is an even mile number is every 4 miles.

Not so with m & km. Nice and OCD friendly.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    I hate feeling slow on an early morning swim after a particularly heavy dinner the night before.
  • fishgutzy
    You know what I hate.... The US dumped the metric system conversion in '82. The pool I swim in was built in '01, no doubt it would be 25m not 25 yrd had that not happened.

I just can't make my OCD tendencies happy. 35.2 laps for a mile. The only possible way to make things even close is to do 44 laps (1-1/4 mile) or 88 laps (2-1/2 miles). The only time it is an even mile number is every 4 miles.

Not so with m & km. Nice and OCD friendly.

Actually, 44 laps is mice nuts close to 2km. 110 laps is 5.03km. Close enough for OCD. You have to swim 10km before that small delta adds up to a lap. So 10km is 219 laps, but I make it 220.
    I use 22 laps per km.
    My swims are either 90, 110, 132, 154, 176, or 220 laps. Round lap count or round KM. :bigsmile:

BTW, many newer pool are 25km lap lap length. Definitely if it a Y pool built in the last 5 years.
  • SwimtotheEnd
    SwimtotheEnd Posts: 69 Member
    BTW, many newer pool are 25km lap lap length.

My you guys do things big in the USA ! I couldnt do a lap ! :):noway:
  • matthew_b
    BTW, many newer pool are 25km lap lap length. Definitely if it a Y pool built in the last 5 years.

I assume you meant a 25m pool.

I work as a timing official for swim meets so I'm up on all of the region's pool sizes. We do have one oddball 50 yard pool but it won't be for long. It's going to become a 50m pool. Most of the short course pools here are 25 yards.
  • fishgutzy

I assume you meant a 25m pool.

I work as a timing official for swim meets so I'm up on all of the region's pool sizes. We do have one oddball 50 yard pool but it won't be for long. It's going to become a 50m pool. Most of the short course pools here are 25 yards.

Ha! bad typo :)
    That would be one heck of swimming pool.
  • fishgutzy
    Greensboro taxpayers got screwed into paying for an aquatic center with the usual cast of characters promising exaggerated "economic impact" numbers but they can't explain why we are still on the hook for nearly $1M in costs every year.
    Nice facility if you can get in. $900 a year for membership. Very limited access for that price and never access to the 50m lap lanes.

If the GAC was such a great idea, the private sector would have done it without a dime of tax payer money. But that is a discussion for another thread.

I'll stick with my Y and the 25 yard pool.
  • matthew_b
    Pools just aren't money makers. They originally tried to make a pool district that went outside town, but that went down in flames at the ballot box. The city then did the pool, they are on the hook for $700k/yr. Because I'm out of town, I have to pay $450 for a family membership instead of $350. No problems with access. Sounds like Greensboro got ripped off.