paleo protein powder

Options
jennaworksout
jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
Looking for a good paleo protein powder, anyone know of one? thanks!!! I heard hemp ones are paleo

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ElitePrimal-BR-Facts.jpg
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    ElitePrimal-BR-Facts.jpg

thank you!!!!! :happy:
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I rarely use protein powders but when I do use Jay Robb's egg white protein. Come from free range healthy eggs and natural flavours. Yumm.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ditto for Jay Robb protein powder!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    ElitePrimal-BR-Facts.jpg

Did anyone see the word SUCRALOSE? AKA Splenda, which is an artificial sweetener. When chlorine is added to sugar, it no longer is sugar, no matter the most ingenious of marketing campaigns.

I don't really consider protein powders to be Paleo, but go for one that is from grass fed cows, minimally processed that only has healthy/safe ingredients. Dr. Mercola sells one that is ok in my experience.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I use a few different kinds. None of which are primal or paleo. At some point I'm sure I'll give them up but most days they're my only "cheats". :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I use a few different kinds. None of which are primal or paleo. At some point I'm sure I'll give them up but most days they're my only "cheats". :)

Why not just get the best version of protein powder possible? Grass fed protein powders without artificial sweeteners do exist, and they even taste better imo.
  • purebliss24
    Options
    Can you recommend any? I'm glad someone asked this question because i just tried Bluebonnet Whey protein (strawberry) and it was gross. Then I tried Jay Robb Whey (chocolate)...okay but still trying more. If there are natural versions - please recommend...Thank you!
  • asoeung
    asoeung Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ElitePrimal-BR-Facts.jpg

Did anyone see the word SUCRALOSE? AKA Splenda, which is an artificial sweetener. When chlorine is added to sugar, it no longer is sugar, no matter the most ingenious of marketing campaigns.

I don't really consider protein powders to be Paleo, but go for one that is from grass fed cows, minimally processed that only has healthy/safe ingredients. Dr. Mercola sells one that is ok in my experience.

My thoughts exactly! Did you also see the "Blue #1" artificial food dye?? What the hell?
    I personally use True Whey from Source Naturals - made from grass-fed cows with a little bit of stevia. It doesn't have a lot of the amino acids that you may be looking for in a post-workout protein powder, but I buy those separately in capsule form(like L-glutamine) and just add them into the shake when I want them in there.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7R4HI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    ElitePrimal-BR-Facts.jpg

My thoughts exactly! Did you also see the "Blue #1" artificial food dye?? What the hell?
    I personally use True Whey from Source Naturals - made from grass-fed cows with a little bit of stevia. It doesn't have a lot of the amino acids that you may be looking for in a post-workout protein powder, but I buy those separately in capsule form(like L-glutamine) and just add them into the shake when I want them in there.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G7R4HI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is whey dairy?? I'm paleo so I don't eat dairy. this is harder than I thought
  • asoeung
    asoeung Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, whey is dairy.... I'm more in the "Primal" camp, so that's why I'm cool w/ it.... but you are absolutely correct, it's tough to find a protein powder that satisfies all of our dietary requirements. There are so many factors to the equation!
  • shelleycc
    Options
    About two years ago, I gave the Herbalife (meal replacement shakes) thing a good college try. It just wasn't my cup of tea; I definitely prefer EATING. Plus, nutritional industries put all sorts of crappola in those things. When I asked my Herbalife rep why the primary carb in the shake mix was fructose, all she could come up with was, "Because it's natural; it comes from fruit." Brilliant! I still have a jar of Jarrow's whey protein powder languishing in the nether regions of my pantry, which will probably get chucked once it expires. Although I am slowly getting into lifting heavy, I'm not a competitive athlete or a hard-training cross-fitter, so I just don't feel like I fit into the must-have-PWO-recovery-shake set.

BTW, that beef protein powder was kind of a joke, right? Meaning, it looked totally Franken-food to me, and therefore outside the primal/paleo sphere.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Why not just get the best version of protein powder possible? Grass fed protein powders without artificial sweeteners do exist, and they even taste better imo.

B/c I don't have an endless supply of cash to try any of the actual so-called primal/paleo protein powders. :)
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My trainer just tells me to crack a few eggs into my spinach smoothies, and add yogurt or something like that (but if you are nondairy you can just use eggs or egg whites in a smoothie. 2 eggs is around 12 grams protein.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I just get my protein from meat.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

^

True Paleo doesn't use any protein powders... If you're eating enough eggs/meat/fish/fowl/etc, you should be getting enough protein.

And yes, that Primal Powder was a joke. :P
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options

WIN \o/
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

B/c I don't have an endless supply of cash to try any of the actual so-called primal/paleo protein powders. :)

Well, since whey isn't an essential food, then why waste money buying it at all? If it is essential for you, why would you pick one that is anything less than the best? Skimping on healthy food really won't pay off in the long run, even in a country where health care is "free".

FYI, the Dr. Mercola powder is quite reasonably priced. I especially like the plain, unflavoured which can be added to smoothies or whatever.

I don't have an "endless supply of cash" either but I buy the best quality of everything I can. Surprisingly, since changing to high quality, high calorie food I actually spend much LESS.

Edit: totally agree with using natural foods in their natural form, rather than whey!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

^

True Paleo doesn't use any protein powders... If you're eating enough eggs/meat/fish/fowl/etc, you should be getting enough protein.

And yes, that Primal Powder was a joke. :P

LMAO, good one! I guess I got worried when I saw a few "thank you"s in response. Good way to test our commitment to this lifestyle! And I need to lighten up a bit. Guess the fact that this lifestyle has literally saved my life has made me become pretty serious about it all. :wink: