paleo protein powder

Options

Replies

• beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I use a few different kinds. None of which are primal or paleo. At some point I'm sure I'll give them up but most days they're my only "cheats". :)

Why not just get the best version of protein powder possible? Grass fed protein powders without artificial sweeteners do exist, and they even taste better imo.

B/c I don't have an endless supply of cash to try any of the actual so-called primal/paleo protein powders. :)

Well, since whey isn't an essential food, then why waste money buying it at all? If it is essential for you, why would you pick one that is anything less than the best? Skimping on healthy food really won't pay off in the long run, even in a country where health care is "free".

FYI, the Dr. Mercola powder is quite reasonably priced. I especially like the plain, unflavoured which can be added to smoothies or whatever.

I don't have an "endless supply of cash" either but I buy the best quality of everything I can. Surprisingly, since changing to high quality, high calorie food I actually spend much LESS.

Edit: totally agree with using natural foods in their natural form, rather than whey!

Why are you busting my *kitten* for one dang thing? You have no clue how I eat otherwise. This is a process for me. Eventually do I hope just to not use it at all? Of course. But I'm not going to just say "eff it, I'm not primal b/c I use protein powder". Good for you if you were able to give up everything bad for you.
  • BoboDoesPrimal
    Options
    If you're still looking for a good protein powder, I use Isopure Zero Carb powder.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134407

It's zero carbs, zero sugar, aspartame free, lactose free, free of preservatives. I use before my workout with unsweetened almond milk. I'm not a fan of all flavors but chocolate, cookies and cream and vanilla are quite tasty. I know that protein powders aren't necessarily considered primal, but I find that drinking a protein shake about an hour before my workouts keeps me energized and level through even my toughest lifting and boxing sessions. If you order through the Vitamin Shoppe, you can get is for a much cheaper cost than at Muscle Max or GNC. I hope this helps provide some information for what you're looking for! I can say, I'm very happy with this powder.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=NP-1098&sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=20-40&keyword=NP-1098&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Product+Listing+Ads-_-20-40-_-NP-1098&ncuu=ULVW2D29&gclid=CMzq_Yak07UCFSSCQgoddSwAnw#.USxNduuc7yw
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Isopure has sucralose....so does the whey supplement I use (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey). It's pretty hard to find a powder that is both cost effective and doesn't contain a bunch of crap. Right now, I can't afford a "Dr. Mercola" shake every day I train. Just a quick look tells me it's over twice the cost of what I use (and that is at Dr. Mercola's sale price), and has less protein per serving. I also can't afford to eat a nice big steak post workout every day. That would be ideal, and would make me VERY HAPPY indeed, but it's a bit expensive. Raw eggs in a spinach smoothie are nice...but not really enough protein in terms of how my meals are currently going. I'd need about 6 or 7 eggs to equal the protein in a whey shake. That's also expensive for me. I have used smoothies like that in the past when I trained mostly at home, but with 3 eggs, spinach, berries, avocado, coconut milk. Very nice...however now I need something I can quickly drink at the gym as I head out the door, as I have a half hour walk home after my work outs....hence the evil whey shake.

To Beckkotsch--I'm not into being a paleo/primal nazi. Do what works for you health-wise and in terms of your lifestyle. Nobody is expected to be 100% compliant with the principles of paleo or primal at all times. I think Mark Sisson (author of The Primal Blueprint) said to shoot for something like 80% compliance? We do what we can and want to do. Don't let people discourage you from making changes in your own way. Yes, it is a process and your own. You're absolutely right.

Personally, If everything I eat is healthy, and then I have my naughty whey supplement, so long as it's not causing me problems with my digestion or provoking some sort of inflammatory response from my body, I am OK with that. So far it seems ok if I combine the whey with water rather than some sort of dairy product. Maybe others in this group don't like my choice, but I don't give a flying...you know the rest.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    wow...I guess I got my answer , that there are no paleo protein powders...lmao....however....I guess most of the posters here are not strength training....I need the protein for more strength training, I eat alot of meat and eggs, but not cutting it, my muscles are still very sore as I have increased my strength training, I figure a good protein powder would give that extra bit of protein I need without having to eat another steak ..I will have to do more research I guess ...the Isopure sounds like a half decent one.... I am not 100% paleo, I would say 95%...which works fine for me, so the best one I guess with least amount of chemicals is what I need :wink: ...
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I don't weight train as much as I need to but when I do, I do 2 packages of low sodium tuna or salmon mixed with a mashed avocado. 34 grams of protien with healthy fats and carbs. Not as convenant as a shake but pretty tasty.
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    I don't weight train as much as I need to but when I do, I do 2 packages of low sodium tuna or salmon mixed with a mashed avocado. 34 grams of protien with healthy fats and carbs. Not as convenant as a shake but pretty tasty.

Yeah thats good idea, I eat avovado and tuna everyday for lunch, maybe double it
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    wow...I guess I got my answer , that there are no paleo protein powders...lmao....however....I guess most of the posters here are not strength training....I need the protein for more strength training, I eat alot of meat and eggs, but not cutting it, my muscles are still very sore as I have increased my strength training, I figure a good protein powder would give that extra bit of protein I need without having to eat another steak ..I will have to do more research I guess ...the Isopure sounds like a half decent one.... I am not 100% paleo, I would say 95%...which works fine for me, so the best one I guess with least amount of chemicals is what I need :wink: ...

I'm doing a lifting program right now which is why I use protein powder, primal or not. I also don't feel the need to triple my egg intake or eat a whole extra steak! You'll find something that works for you!
  • beckkotsch
    Options
    Isopure has sucralose....so does the whey supplement I use (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey). It's pretty hard to find a powder that is both cost effective and doesn't contain a bunch of crap. Right now, I can't afford a "Dr. Mercola" shake every day I train. Just a quick look tells me it's over twice the cost of what I use (and that is at Dr. Mercola's sale price), and has less protein per serving. I also can't afford to eat a nice big steak post workout every day. That would be ideal, and would make me VERY HAPPY indeed, but it's a bit expensive. Raw eggs in a spinach smoothie are nice...but not really enough protein in terms of how my meals are currently going. I'd need about 6 or 7 eggs to equal the protein in a whey shake. That's also expensive for me. I have used smoothies like that in the past when I trained mostly at home, but with 3 eggs, spinach, berries, avocado, coconut milk. Very nice...however now I need something I can quickly drink at the gym as I head out the door, as I have a half hour walk home after my work outs....hence the evil whey shake.

To Beckkotsch--I'm not into being a paleo/primal nazi. Do what works for you health-wise and in terms of your lifestyle. Nobody is expected to be 100% compliant with the principles of paleo or primal at all times. I think Mark Sisson (author of The Primal Blueprint) said to shoot for something like 80% compliance? We do what we can and want to do. Don't let people discourage you from making changes in your own way. Yes, it is a process and your own. You're absolutely right.

Personally, If everything I eat is healthy, and then I have my naughty whey supplement, so long as it's not causing me problems with my digestion or provoking some sort of inflammatory response from my body, I am OK with that. So far it seems ok if I combine the whey with water rather than some sort of dairy product. Maybe others in this group don't like my choice, but I don't give a flying...you know the rest.

Ditto to all of this! Thank you!!
  • JohnNull
    JohnNull Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    <snip>....however....I guess most of the posters here are not strength training....<snip>

BWAHAHAHHAA! Oh jeeze, thanks, I needed that!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say I love the idea of a blueberry-flavored beef protein. Who wouldn't!

-- shared by someone who needs to up her protein but doesn't like to drink food.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    This is the one I have been thinking of trying: http://essentiallivingfoods.com/products/whey-protein-powder-grass-fed-organic-9oz

What do you all think of this???
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    This is the one I have been thinking of trying: http://essentiallivingfoods.com/products/whey-protein-powder-grass-fed-organic-9oz

What do you all think of this???

Looks great if you can afford it and you like the taste. It's far beyond what I can afford to spend for protein at $22.99 per 9oz (255g). I think that's around 4x what I spend, actually.
  • Lupercalia
    Options

No, not really practical for my circumstances, also not nearly as cost effective. I can't afford to eat two packages of tuna and an avocado each time I leave the gym. For those who can, it's a great idea. My whey protein costs about £1.14 per two scoop serving and has 48g protein, so I'm sticking with that for now. Chemicals and all!
  • jennaworksout
    Options

I'm doing a lifting program right now which is why I use protein powder, primal or not. I also don't feel the need to triple my egg intake or eat a whole extra steak! You'll find something that works for you!

thanks sounds like a good plan, just talked to a friend who found an egg based protein powder, gonna look intothat one
  • jennaworksout
    Options
    <snip>....however....I guess most of the posters here are not strength training....<snip>

BWAHAHAHHAA! Oh jeeze, thanks, I needed that!

key word "guess" ...meaning I can be wrong :laugh: sensitive much
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Most of the crossfitters I know use stronger faster healthier which is fairly clean grass-fed whey protein, its $40 for 30 servings so a little on the pricier side.

My stomach does not tolerate whey protein well so I use Optimum Nutrition Egg white protein. Yes there are chemicals but its better than some I've seen, I think if that's the worst thing I eat all day I'm okay with it :)
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This is what I use: Warrior Whey featuring Defense Nutrition Grass Fed Cows Whey Protein No Sugar Added

http://store.defensenutrition.com/warrior-whey/#.US45L6JBCTM
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Any opinions on hemp protein powder? I can not tolerate why protein or egg white protein. From what I see all that's in the hemp powder is hemp and the specs are pretty nice. Opinions?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I use a few different kinds. None of which are primal or paleo. At some point I'm sure I'll give them up but most days they're my only "cheats". :)

Why not just get the best version of protein powder possible? Grass fed protein powders without artificial sweeteners do exist, and they even taste better imo.

B/c I don't have an endless supply of cash to try any of the actual so-called primal/paleo protein powders. :)

Well, since whey isn't an essential food, then why waste money buying it at all? If it is essential for you, why would you pick one that is anything less than the best? Skimping on healthy food really won't pay off in the long run, even in a country where health care is "free".

FYI, the Dr. Mercola powder is quite reasonably priced. I especially like the plain, unflavoured which can be added to smoothies or whatever.

I don't have an "endless supply of cash" either but I buy the best quality of everything I can. Surprisingly, since changing to high quality, high calorie food I actually spend much LESS.

Edit: totally agree with using natural foods in their natural form, rather than whey!

Why are you busting my *kitten* for one dang thing? You have no clue how I eat otherwise. This is a process for me. Eventually do I hope just to not use it at all? Of course. But I'm not going to just say "eff it, I'm not primal b/c I use protein powder". Good for you if you were able to give up everything bad for you.

Your passive aggressive response regarding the lack of an "endless supply of cash" is what led me to respond to your previous comment. I've re-read my comment and there is nothing that is "busting your *kitten*". I'm not commenting at all how you eat, just pointing out that protein powder is not a necessity and that there are healthier options AND that our health also affects our financial security. I don't care what you do, but I do care if advice is not paleo when someone asks for paleo advice. It's moot now since it was a JOKE.

Did I say that I don't ever use protein powder or that I gave up everything that is "bad"? I think if you take things so personal and feel the need to attack anyone who disagrees with you, perhaps the forums aren't the most positive place to be.
  • beckkotsch
    Options

Your passive aggressive response regarding the lack of an "endless supply of cash" is what led me to respond to your previous comment. I've re-read my comment and there is nothing that is "busting your *kitten*". I'm not commenting at all how you eat, just pointing out that protein powder is not a necessity and that there are healthier options AND that our health also affects our financial security. I don't care what you do, but I do care if advice is not paleo when someone asks for paleo advice. It's moot now since it was a JOKE.

Did I say that I don't ever use protein powder or that I gave up everything that is "bad"? I think if you take things so personal and feel the need to attack anyone who disagrees with you, perhaps the forums aren't the most positive place to be.

Thanks for the pep talk:)